A Good Canon Travel Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

malabar290

Sep 11, 2003
East Coast
Visit site
Was wondering if any of you guys out there can recommend a good travelling lens for my 300D. I'm more into landscape, but do occasionally take those people pictures as well (does this make sense? :confused: )

Thanks for any recommendations!

Also, a qucik question: I am used to shooting in 'Large File' format, but tried shooting in raw recently. However, the speed of capture slowed down quite dramatically, and the camera even hung after I took about 7-8 continuous shots - is this normal? Or should I be sending it for a check-up. My CF Card is a 256Mb Transcend, bought about 2 years back - can't rem the speed tho'

Thanks again!

Amare la Vita

malabar290 said:
Was wondering if any of you guys out there can recommend a good travelling lens for my 300D. I'm more into landscape, but do occasionally take those people pictures as well (does this make sense? :confused: )

Thanks for any recommendations!

Also, a qucik question: I am used to shooting in 'Large File' format, but tried shooting in raw recently. However, the speed of capture slowed down quite dramatically, and the camera even hung after I took about 7-8 continuous shots - is this normal? Or should I be sending it for a check-up. My CF Card is a 256Mb Transcend, bought about 2 years back - can't rem the speed tho'

Thanks again!

Amare la Vita

travel lens? u want canon originals or 3rd party options? :think:

canon originals - can try 28-105mm/f3.5-4.5 USM II or 28-135mm/f3.5-5.6 IS USM. both are excellent 1-lens-rules-them-all kind of travel lens. a bit long on the short end of the lens, after u factor in the 1.6x crop factor. so, shooting landscapes might require a bit of zooming by legs.

3rd party - seems like the sigma 18-125mm/f3.5-5.6 DC lens is the fav among the CSers here. do note - this lens can only be used on a DSLR as it was designed for a smaller sensor. using it on a film body will cause vignetting (dark corners on ur pic).

as for slow writing speeds - suspect ur CF card is the 'normal' speed CF cards. try getting a faster CF card like the SanDisk Ultra II 1GB or Lexar WA 80x 1GB. if u shoot RAW, better get a bigger and faster card. ;)

Hmm... I forgot liaoz, I think there's a superzoom in the EF lens lineup too right? 50-300 or 55-300.... something liddat.

For travelling purposes, I'll bring da kit lens along (since I haven't got da moola for 16-35L or 17-40L yet), that's primarily for landscape shoots. Most of the time, the 28-105 f3.5-4.5 goes on da camera. Da color and contrast is pretty good on this lens even though its not a L.

I dun have anything against Sigmas but den the 18-125 is a pretty slow-focusing, noisy beast under low-light. I'd get da EF 28-105 if I were u. :D

As for ur camera 'hanging' it is due to the buffer filling up. Dun worry, it wun kill. Juz wait for the buffer to be 'emptied' into ur CF and u can fire happily away...

Its a bad habit, and I used to have it until I stopped it recently, but unless I really require it, I rarely machine-gun my camera like NW75 had told me that I'll kill my camera a lot faster den I can save up for a new camera.

If u insist on machine-gunning for very fast action shots, may I suggest u get a faster CF card like the SanDisk UltraII, SanDisk Extreme III or the Lexar 40x CF. Good and reliable brands that give u a peace of mind. :thumbsup:

Ef 24-85
Ef 17-40l

sriram said:
The 300D doesn't support Lexar WA, so don't waste your money getting an 80x WA card. You may find these numbers useful.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6425

perhaps a bit of qualification - canon doesn't support Lexar WA tech, true. the camera doesn't have the algorithim to Write Accelaration tech, unlike Nikon. canon cams can use Lexar cards. however, 1 thing Lexar has is the Image Recovery software dat comes with the CF card (there's one for Sandisk Extreme, IIRC. but extreme cards cost more than ultra). its a real life-saver at times. i use Lexar cards on my 10D.

also Sandisk costs a bit more than Lexar. check out
http://www.vector-magnetics.com/retail_ultra2.htm vs
http://www.eastgear.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=19_20

Try the EF-S 17-85 IS f4-5.6, its the only lens I have and used now. Quality is good and covers 27 to 135mm, pretty much all you need from landscape shoot to portrait. IS is a bonus.

nightwolf75 said:
perhaps a bit of qualification - canon doesn't support Lexar WA tech, true. the camera doesn't have the algorithim to Write Accelaration tech, unlike Nikon. canon cams can use Lexar cards. however, 1 thing Lexar has is the Image Recovery software dat comes with the CF card (there's one for Sandisk Extreme, IIRC. but extreme cards cost more than ultra). its a real life-saver at times. i use Lexar cards on my 10D.

also Sandisk costs a bit more than Lexar. check out
http://www.vector-magnetics.com/retail_ultra2.htm vs
http://www.eastgear.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=19_20
True. Thanks for the links, they were useful.

The 28-135 IS USM is definitely the kind of lens you're looking for. It comes with IS (Image Stabilisation), which let you hand hold 2 stops lower. Image quality and colour reproduction is pretty good too. Image tends to be a bit soft, but that's not a major issue.

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I'm half-hearted on the 28-105 as I feel I might one day get the 28-70 L ;) , so getting the 28-105 now would be a waste of money.... Does anyone know the pricing difference between the 2?

I also have the Tamron 28-200 XR, but was not too happy with the results, esp the focusing.

Thks for tips on the CF Card as well - wasn't suspecting the card as it didn't give me a problem on Large Files, but thks for pointing that out. Will definitely check out the 2 cards mentioned! :)

malabar290 said:
Thanks for all the tips and advice. I'm half-hearted on the 28-105 as I feel I might one day get the 28-70 L ;) , so getting the 28-105 now would be a waste of money.... Does anyone know the pricing difference between the 2?

I also have the Tamron 28-200 XR, but was not too happy with the results, esp the focusing.

Thks for tips on the CF Card as well - wasn't suspecting the card as it didn't give me a problem on Large Files, but thks for pointing that out. Will definitely check out the 2 cards mentioned! :)

erm... think someone mention b4 the 28-70/f2.8L is no longer in production. the replacement is 24-70/f2.8L. the 24-70mm mebbe going for ard $2k+? :sweat:

SanDisk, Lexar. These are 2 pretty reliable brands that shld give any photographers a peace of mind.

Not say I'm condemning other brands, but den again, that's the 2 brands for me. Not sure for u guys.

Sigma's 18-125 is good in terms of image quality (considering the price) but focusing is slow in low light...

EF-S 17-85mm is a very good choice.
EF 28-105mm or 28-135mm might not be wide enough on a APC size for landscape, (my shooting preference lah... hehe) so you might want to combo with a 10-22mm or 17-40mm hehehe :)

hey brother max, you still selling your 17-85mmIS me interested leh... ;p

leejiing said:
Sigma's 18-125 is good in terms of image quality (considering the price) but focusing is slow in low light...
I thought i read the reviews that EF-S 17-85 tend to be on the soft side? I think the real hardcore maybe able to detect the difference. But heck, I think the 17-85 should be a reasonably good lenses, except for the $1K+ price tag.

malabar290 said:

28-70L vs EF 28-105?

Price difference is so huge between these 2 lens that one will eat up like 2mths of my pay cheque and another one eats up juz a 1/3rd off my pay.

Da 28-105 is a pretty good lens. Variable aperture though. But colours are quite good on it and I'm pretty impressed. Between ur landscape (ok, 28 x 1.6 = 44.8mm not so much of a WA), Portrait and closeups, 28-105 covers much of everything unless u want something on the longer end, I'll suggest nothing less den an L lens to boot for a telephoto. :D

leejiing said:

EF 28-105mm or 28-135mm might not be wide enough on a APC size for landscape, (my shooting preference lah... hehe) so you might want to combo with a 10-22mm or 17-40mm hehehe :)

He got his 300D kit lens if he ain't fussy abt it.

Not really wad I call 'plastic fantastic', but for a 'ok' WA lens, the 300D EF-S 18-55 kit lens does da job.

leejiing said:

Pai seh, my "Tan Jiak" lens, cannot sell liao. But can lend you when we meet. you going for the Malacca trip right?

jsbn said:
He got his 300D kit lens if he ain't fussy abt it.

Not really wad I call 'plastic fantastic', but for a 'ok' WA lens, the 300D EF-S 18-55 kit lens does da job.

Agree with you. 18-55 should also covers the range of landscape to portrait, 17-85 is just a little wider and longer that fits the"travel" lens catagory la. IS is makes the lens more versatile. So chances of needing another lens is lower compared to 18-55.

Wah .. 24-70 costs >$2k cannot already loh .. I was expecting $1+, still can bet on stock market abit.

I'm not fully satisfied with the 18-55 kit, tho' it's the lens I using curently. I find it still lacks the zoom I require, so the 17-85 sounds like a good range for me. I've read mixed reviews on this one tho' .. but some CSers do swear by this ... 2nd hand anyone??

Try

- Canon 17-40mm f4 L
- *Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 DC
- Sigma 18-125mm f3.5-5.6 DC

do not get EF-S lens as it will not work with your 300D

* recommended

Status
Not open for further replies.