A firmware hack for 400D to enable ISO 3200 and Spot Metering

i tried alot time following the instruction step by step but jus cant get it done le..wat is 0x47 and 0x5C?i went in to the NxD program to do it but when i tried to save it, it say assess denied..

goto extras -> options -> security -> uncheck "open disk as readonly by default"

then re launch NxD with "run as administrator" (right click) if you are using vista & above.

0x47 and 0x5C are offsets.

to be honest, if you don't know what you are doing, i'd recommend you to use cards <= 4GB and let cardtricks program to do the job for you. as modifying FAT structure can potentially be dangerous

Last edited:
Interesting. I saw it over at POTN first and thought of doing it, but was lazy.

I'll try it after my exams.

Interesting. I saw it over at POTN first and thought of doing it, but was lazy.

I'll try it after my exams.
I'm having my prelims for my A levels in a few days time. But i couldn't help buy try the hack and it works!. It'll only take you 30mins tops. Do it when you are taking a break.

i am using a 4G CF card..i use the card trick to do the format and aft tat i transfer the autobin file to my cf card..but the result still the same.. sad..

did u do testfir.fir

did u do testfir.fir

Ya..before i format my CF card, i use the testfir file and put it into my cam..then go under firmware update..the screen turn black, and aft 5min, i switch off, take on e batt then put in again..and i format my CF card using card trick..aft e card is format, the card auto name canon_dc..

thanks bro for the info. just did the hack and it works. :thumbsup: :) :gbounce:

the rows show 00000000000 and so on then the columns show 00 and so on . . .

i'm confused on where to locate those two offsets. i also want to use my 4GB on this but of course i want to get it right.

is the offset which i circled on the lower left the indicator?

HxD.jpg

thanks.:)

the previous one i did was using the 2GB cf card and it works.

Last edited:
Thanks & appreciate this thread. I have successfully loaded the hack into my 400D. Works well.
Some careless mistakes I've made : forgot to TICK "CF Boot Sector" while formatting and make bootable to my 2GB CF card.

I tried the ISO3200. In Aperature Mode, Shutter speed increased. Picture a bit "noisier" than ISO1600. Another picture comparison between ISO3200 ans ISO400

4 pictures can be seen in my APAD. FYI

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info and the detailed walkthru!
Just did the mod for my 400D and it works. Now itching to try it out this weekend. :)

Does all my CF card have to be made bootable and copied with AUTOEXEC.BIN?
when i insert another CF card,..the ISO3200 instantly set back to 1600. :dunno:

anyone knows if it works with 450D? i've been dying for a 3200 iso!;)

I just went to bought a card reader and do the firmware upgrade.
ISO3200 is abit noisy, but still it is better than nothing.. :D

How useful is spot metering compare to evaulative metering?..
I tried and compare both, like no diff like that eh.. :dunno:

darn, i wish one was released for the 1000d!