A fantastic sunset

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyyu

May 3, 2007
Small Village
Hello....I'm a newbie. Had just join CS and first time posting in the critique corner. I have still a lot to learn from you guys here.
I'm posting an image that i took few days ago in Liverpool. The exposure setting is on the image as well..

lazyyu_1175711305.jpg

I'm a D80 user, i bought a 50/1.4 lens few days ago, i was very exciting when i got this so i went streetshoot afterward. It was around 5/6pm when i went to a dock, the colour of sky was red and cloud was burning, so i found a good place and took this image. cuz i just got that lens when i got there i didnt have tripod with me, so i didnt set the shutter quite slow to prevent my shaky hand hehe..

Overall: N50/1.4 is a very very good standard lens, i'm so impressive with this lens. what i did with this image were cropping and adding a frame for it by PS. i like this image so much and i thought this is my best shoot so far.:D :D

What I would like to know are...
1. Is this image seemed good for you guys?
2. Do you guys like this tone style?
3. How can i improve this image so that i can take a better one for sunset subject?

Thx every1 for viewing my image..:bsmilie:

Colour wise, I like it very much :) :thumbsup:

Just a thought on the "rule-of-thirds", either include much more sky, or much more of the water. That being said, this is one shot that I don't feel particularly aggrieved with it being cut into two.

Personally for sunsets I would like it much wider to take in the expanse of the sky or water. And when there is such a beautiful round disk of a sun... Go extreme telephoto! (Don't stare at it of course)

I liked the colors though not fantastic. The main eyesore IMO is the composition of the sun. Its too skewed to the left and make a decision if you want to have more of the sea or the sky. If in doubt, take both exposures! It will make a difference to your pics. Anyway, you do not really need a tripod when taking sunsets especially when you are metering around the sun. But for sunrises, you might need them.

The next time you try. Go Tele. I will post some soon as well ;)

Hope these are useful info.

Thx Yat and Yeh, thx for leaving good comments to me.. i know this is not a quite fantastic but i really like it hehe.. as you guys said that use tele lens might b better, i agree with u guys. however 5014 is not wide enough to take a tele pic and the dock is not that pretty that u thought..lol.. anyway i did take some tele pix of sunset, but since the kit lens (18-135) is not as sharp as my 5014, it looked so soft when i see the pic.

looking forward to seeing u guys's good telepix of sunset or sunshine hehe...

i'll try my best to take better sunset or sunshine pix next time hehe..;p

i actually liked the composition, just that i feel a longer exposure would be nice to even out the rough surface of the water....

this picture is not at all fantastic. It is just a burnt hole in a red rectangle.

the sky is strewn with haphazard lines, and the dark mass cutting the rectangle unevenly is indistinct and the industrial thingy at the end jars the entire tree line.

What is going for it, ie elements you can use for a passable composition are the ripples in the water and the sun reflections on it. Also the long line repeating street light in triples is an interesting element, whose circular shapes can be used to complement the sun's.

But how to arrange these interesting elements in a flat 2D format, I am not entirely sure, not being there myself: maybe walk left or right, go lower, wait for another moment, more sky, less sky, etc etc. Usually the best moment for a truly fantastic sunset is only a fleeting moment just before and after the sun goes below the horizon, and sometimes even long after it has gone below the horizon.

nice pic shot a good time, but...

1. watch the horizon.
2. good colors, but not sunset.
3. i like this pic better if it's landscape.
4. no pt shooting so much water.
5. am guessing u meter off the sun or thereabouts, dun. u are missing out details of the sunset.
6. no tripod, steady ur cam somewhere else.

have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.