A dot at the viewfinder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim

Feb 2, 2005
Hi guys,

Thought I get some advice here. Got a dSLR and notice that there was a dark spot when looking through the viewfinder.

The dark spot appears to be a dust particle as it was not there in the first place. Blowed the mirror and interior and viewfinder with a blower and the dust still there. Interchange the lens has no effect, which means it's in the camera.

However, it does not affect the picture taken. Took a picture against a white surface and image is clean.

Anybody got any idea what it could be? Should I be bothered by it since it does not affect my pictures at all? Advice?:think:

those kind of "probs" will occur as you use your camera , as long as it doesnt affect your images you can ignore it.

Thanks for the advice.:) Guess sometimes it is better not to touch it if there is no problem rite? Otherwise, the more i try to get rid of it, the more problems i might create. :bsmilie:

Slim said:
Thanks for the advice.:) Guess sometimes it is better not to touch it if there is no problem rite? Otherwise, the more i try to get rid of it, the more problems i might create. :bsmilie:
yeah tat's right. tat's what i did to my first slr ... lucky nothing serious ...

Slim said:
Hi guys,

Thought I get some advice here. Got a dSLR and notice that there was a dark spot when looking through the viewfinder.

The dark spot appears to be a dust particle as it was not there in the first place. Blowed the mirror and interior and viewfinder with a blower and the dust still there. Interchange the lens has no effect, which means it's in the camera.

However, it does not affect the picture taken. Took a picture against a white surface and image is clean.

Anybody got any idea what it could be? Should I be bothered by it since it does not affect my pictures at all? Advice?:think:
What was your shutter speed when you shot against the white surface? For testing purposes, use minimum aperture (f22 or f32)

Remove the lens. Do you still see the spot? If you do means it is on the mirror, not on lens. If a blower can't remove it, DON'T use your hands. You might cause misalignment of the mirror. just ignore the spot as long as it doesn't affect your image.

My guess is that it is on the mirror since I still see it after removing the lens, just that I can;t seem to see it on the mirror with my naked eye.

Guess I should just leave it alone. Just that I need to psycho myself not to look at it when taking pictures. :)
Thanks!

Hi slim
probably the dust is trapped inside the focusing screen the part abv the mirror that why despite yr incessant blowing.the 'spot' won't go away.
yes it irritating but it won't spoiled yr cam :)

I am thinking it might be in the viewfinder itself?

I have this problem as well... anyone know how much for the Nikon cleaning service? Any horror story that the camera become worst after cleaning? Or how much will it cost?

Send it to the svc centre for cleaning
as it involving removing the focusing screen

It happened to my Minolta 5d before
the tech cleaned it for me free :)

best to remove it as it may oneday dislodge itself and end up on your CCD.

thanks for all your advice guys.

anyway, decided to leave it alone first n see how. got a muscle workout when using the air pump, for pumping so many times :bsmilie:

+evenstar said:
What was your shutter speed when you shot against the white surface? For testing purposes, use minimum aperture (f22 or f32)

Remove the lens. Do you still see the spot? If you do means it is on the mirror, not on lens. If a blower can't remove it, DON'T use your hands. You might cause misalignment of the mirror. just ignore the spot as long as it doesn't affect your image.

how would i know if the mirror was misalligned if i did touch it to remove the lint on the edge of the mirror :(

Status
Not open for further replies.