A Common sight@ Jokhang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hosea

Apr 20, 2004
Singapore
www.stanleykay.com
She plead, they pray... what would you do?

DSC_0582az.jpg

hazmee said:
Errr... give her some money? Is it bad move to do over there?
Giving and begging seem to integrate very well among the Tibetan.
People are willing to give a little of what they have to those that beg.
Not sure it is a good or bad move to give…but you have to bear with
the begging hassling if you intend to give coz there are really many
here.

I won't as I can foresee that once I give to the first one, there will be second, third,.....etc

I am not there to be a Santa Clause though.:)

But, Hosea, you need to since she posed for u. hehe

sumball said:
I won't as I can foresee that once I give to the first one, there will be second, third,.....etc

I am not there to be a Santa Clause though.:)

But, Hosea, you need to since she posed for u. hehe
:bsmilie: She didn't posed for me la.... I just snap when she
was pleading to me..to catch the natural expression.

Actually they didn't expect much..even u give 10cents RMB..they
are ok.

hazmee said:
Errr... give her some money? Is it bad move to do over there?

for me, I will not give them money. this act will encourage them continue to beg. if I give it to one, others will follow.

I was taught to give them food like crackers, cookies and etc instead.
so coming to these countries, I will buy a big packet of cookies and re-pack into samller packs. by doing so, i will not have a big hole in my pocket and at the same time can fill up their stomach for a while.

anyway this is very common in all the third world countries.
have to admit they are very pity people. :cry: :cry:

29tim05 said:
for me, I will not give them money. this act will encourage them continue to beg. if I give it to one, others will follow.

I was taught to give them food like crackers, cookies and etc instead.
so coming to these countries, I will buy a big packet of cookies and re-pack into samller packs. by doing so, i will not have a big hole in my pocket and at the same time can fill up their stomach for a while.

anyway this is very common in all the third world countries.
have to admit they are very pity people. :cry: :cry:

I did the same, but my crackers were smashed to chips when I reached there.
I bought some sweets and pencils for them. ….foods add load to your luggage too.

I think giving is related to part of their culture and religion... giving is considered as good deeds... something we might not fully comprehend .

Reminds of the situation when I was in Jakarta giving money to the less fortunate. Its both sad and scary at the same time. They pulled my bag and shirt asking for more. After leaving that place, I am always left with mixed feelings. I guess its pretty much the same over at Jokhang. Cheers!

hazmee said:
Reminds of the situation when I was in Jakarta giving money to the less fortunate. Its both sad and scary at the same time. They pulled my bag and shirt asking for more. After leaving that place, I am always left with mixed feelings. I guess its pretty much the same over at Jokhang. Cheers!
Same mixed feeling... felt like helping and yet dislike the troubles. :confused:
Begging need courage too....no one wish to beg.

Status
Not open for further replies.