A career in photography?? need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ah_K

Aug 3, 2002
Singapore
www.enchantingkairos.com
I will be looking for a job soon.
As I have interest in photography, was wondering whether this interest can blossom into a career? what are the options ahead?

Ah_K said:
As I have interest in photography, was wondering whether this interest can blossom into a career? what are the options ahead?

prepare for a tough time ahead.
u need a portfolio and u need contacts, contacts and more contacts. u need alot of contacts and alot of good luck at times. haha

passion will take u there! jia you!

rgds,
cheesy

Hi Ah_K

1. you could freelance
  • But as Cheesecake highlighted - contacts and portfolio as well as a comprehensive equipment list is required
  • You need relevant experience in areas that you want to freelance which is sometimes hard to acquire

2. you could work as a photographer's assistance in a studio
  • benefit - you might learn a lot. but this depends on the attitude of the photographer who you are assisting. If he is open with his knowledge - you will benefit big time but if he keeps his knowledge to himself - then you might not learn as much as you would have wanted.

3. you could work for the newspaper or a publication

things to think about
a. what sort of "qualification" or experience do you have.
b. think about why these folks would want to hire you and what they will be looking for. In other words, put yourself in their shoes - and then think about what you need to do to prepare yourself to maximise your chances of getting hired.
c. think about what sort of package you would like. benchmark against what is offered in the market now.
d. prepare a portfoilio
e. be determine and drive yourself and constantly improve.

Hope this helps

Ah_K said:

Your online portfolio is not bad.
Well done!

Hi
you haven't said what field of photography you would like to pursue a career in,
this is a very important choice as it will determine
which members of CS will be able to help you with
constructive advice and career planning ideas.
The end goal of many is a well paid career in the exciting
field of photography but be realistic about your expectations.
Give us some more info so we can help you.

Moderators..........just to let you know

By looking at this topic, I am sure there is going to be OT sooner or later. So better watch out for this thread!!!

You guys and girls, better stick to your points and topic and don't go haywire!

As for Ah K, well your portfolio maybe impressive but it's who you know and correspond is more important. So besides being a good photographer, you must have some PR skills.

I have been a working photographer as long as i know, so my advice is not just your skills that counts. Your customer will feel whether they are comfortable with you. They rather pay a higher premium if they find that communications skills sucks!

It's a good line to be in. Never give up easily. It took me about 2 years nearly 3 before making my mark in the photography industry. Plenty of sacrifice you have to make. Plenty of investment too.

Qualifications maybe important but as i said earlier, with a great folio, a degree or master's in photography but if you cannot open your mouth and communicate with your customer you are a sitting duck.

Make sure not your photos do the talking only but you must do some PR work too.

Usaually, most photographers in Singapore are freelancer. There are some studios hiring some photographers but very rare they will change one.

Thanks and that's what i think............my 0.02 cents worth. Don't anybody dare to flame me as it's my opinion. Don't quote what i say. You all can say what you like but don't quote or use any of my parts as I do not want this thread to OT. This is only meant for MR Ah_K ears only. Thanks again!

1st off, thanx whoelse for ur comment

2nd, Thanx Pro Image for your advice, i am sure the good guys and gals here wun OT or flame anyone... These are all good advice

travelshooter said:
Hi
you haven't said what field of photography you would like to pursue a career in,
this is a very important choice as it will determine
which members of CS will be able to help you with
constructive advice and career planning ideas.
The end goal of many is a well paid career in the exciting
field of photography but be realistic about your expectations.
Give us some more info so we can help you.

I guess i did miss out on talking about my field and stuff, but that is probably because i am still a newbie in terms of photography and still unsure of what path i could take and what i am capable of doing.

thats why i am in a fix here, dunnoe whether to pursue this or to go find a job associated with my diploma. :(

--Thank you all so far and hopefully more will come and can help me make up my mind--

I don't mean to be disparaging here but there's a few things to note about persuing a career in professional photography:

1) As Pro Image has already pointed out, being able to communicate and put your clients at ease is essential if you are going to make it in this industry.

2) An online web gallery of low res images is not really a portfolio, what is though are 11 x 14" or larger prints along with a few 10 x 8" that demonstrate your ability to make great photos without having to resort to extensive PS modification.

3) Business knowledge. I can't stress how important it is to have a thorough understanding of business law, taxation and bookkeeping and the dozens of other facets that make one a successful businessman.

4) Be able to work to deadlines, ontime and on budget. Again this is critical if you are going to survive as a professional photographer.

5) Reliable prompt service with a smile.
Self evident I'd say .. yet you'd be surprised how many alleged professionals can't do this simple thing.

6) Learn how to write contracts. I've put this seperate to business skills as it's one area that is vital if you are going to work as a freelancer or on comission photographer.

7) Be prepared to have a hard long low paid period. Professional photographers generally have what's known as a "paying of dues" period when they start out. That is when you first enter the industry don't expect to earn much more than a starvation wage. This phase can last anywhere from a few months to quite a few years depending on your native skill level and abilities.

8) Set realistic goals and work towards them in a methodical manner.

9) No amount of Contacts will help you if you're untalented or otherwise non competent, you'll just join the very long line of starving artsy-fartsy types who try their hand in the industry and don't last long.

Cheers,
Ian

Ian said:
I don't mean to be disparaging here but there's a few things to note about persuing a career in professional photography:

1) As Pro Image has already pointed out, being able to communicate and put your clients at ease is essential if you are going to make it in this industry.

2) An online web gallery of low res images is not really a portfolio, what is though are 11 x 14" or larger prints along with a few 10 x 8" that demonstrate your ability to make great photos without having to resort to extensive PS modification.

3) Business knowledge. I can't stress how important it is to have a thorough understanding of business law, taxation and bookkeeping and the dozens of other facets that make one a successful businessman.

4) Be able to work to deadlines, ontime and on budget. Again this is critical if you are going to survive as a professional photographer.

Self evident I'd say .. yet you'd be surprised how many alleged professionals can't do this simple thing.

6) Learn how to write contracts. I've put this seperate to business skills as it's one area that is vital if you are going to work as a freelancer or on comission photographer.

7) Be prepared to have a hard long low paid period. Professional photographers generally have what's known as a "paying of dues" period when they start out. That is when you first enter the industry don't expect to earn much more than a starvation wage. This phase can last anywhere from a few months to quite a few years depending on your native skill level and abilities.

9) No amount of Contacts will help you if you're untalented or otherwise non competent, you'll just join the very long line of starving artsy-fartsy types who try their hand in the industry and don't last long.

Cheers,
Ian

wow... very detailed... will keep all your words in mind.. and yeah i am afraid that i might become one of those type of person u mentioned in point 9
hehe (hopefully not)

Ian said:

Cheers,
Ian

Ian well said. Well said. I couldn't agree more. Thanks man for the support. We know we when true HELL when we first started but not to be a wet blanket Mr Ah_K. Anything you love doing it, you will acheive it. You really have to love photography not just as good money in the future but as an art too. Good mistakes are meant to be learn, Ah_K. So we hope that you will join in our ranks of "Photographers" soon. Never regret after that because our work is never ever bored!

I suppose singapore still dun really have the room for artistic development.
Photography itself is already an expensive hobby, let along u are looking for a job and u are perhaps not really that stable financially?

Let's put it this way, the path of photography had got lots of options. Are u going to studio? Weddings? Or simply just plain photographers for commerical ads?
Normally, for designing companies or those companies doing advertisments, they will feel more secure if u can produce certs from NAFA and La selle, things like that. This is the singapore system. Although portfolio speaks at large, but singapore is a cert system. Everything must come with a certification unless u are already someone shining with lots of awards at competition, then that is a different stories. No matter wat, u got to build up a reputation b4 being able to be a pro photographer for a living. I suppose just learn along the way and part time here and there will be a good idea. U learn and u can make a little cash :) And at the same time, u will not be afraid of not enough $$ because still got permanent job.

I agree with wat Trigger and Ian said. The attitute of the person u are assisting is very important. Last time when we watch TV, always see those young lads being apprentice to some tailors shifu or famous big chefs. And they always find it hard to learn cos the shifus are reluctant to teach, for fear that one day the apprentices will take over them. Things like that do really happened in the real world. So, it is kind of luck thing. Now that the economy is still kind of soft, it will be good if u try not to test ur luck like that :)
Best of lucks to u ! take care :D

yeah, mebbe it is really too hard to find a good "shifu" and this may all depend on luck. and i kinda agree with what jnifur said.
mebbe finding a normal job and learn/part time photography is a better idea. untill got the base den start to exert myself more in this line.

you guys & gals have been so very helpful. really great with my decision making.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

so anyone around here might need a part time assistant? hehe :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.