Not open for further replies.

Starman

Apr 15, 2002
Visit site
Took Mars again last night, and finally got a better image :

finalmars.jpg

the first one is this, which I think is poorer:

mars.jpg

Wow, im impressed. SUre its not your mentos? good job!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

nice shot!!!!! could even see one of its polar caps!!

laugh said:
SUre its not your mentos?

Haha.....yeah an orange flavoured mentos with some white and black ink.

:bsmilie:

Anyway shooting this fellow was tough especially with strong winds last nite.

by the way, here is the scope used to take Mars. The bright object behind is the moon. That camera is a 10D. Taken at Dawn

scopedawn.jpg

impressive!!

Your photos are not oriented correctly (relative to each other). The south polar caps are, er, not in the south.

ckhaos said:
Your photos are not oriented correctly (relative to each other). The south polar caps are, er, not in the south.

Yeah I know....but this is how it shows at the eyepiece.

Of course I can rotate it, but I prefer to leave the authenticity at the eyepiece as it is.

Just want to know for sure (not in any ways a criticism of your shots) --- the different orientation is an artifact of the positioning of your eyepiece? And not because Mars has rotated that much within a day?

If the former, shouldn't the photographer take the responsiblility to show the "truth", and hence ensure that the eyepiece is positioned correctly everytime?

ckhaos said:
Just want to know for sure (not in any ways a criticism of your shots) --- the different orientation is an artifact of the positioning of your eyepiece? And not because Mars has rotated that much within a day?

If the former, shouldn't the photographer take the responsiblility to show the "truth", and hence ensure that the eyepiece is positioned correctly everytime?

i think no matter how much u move/rotate the eyepiece...the image of Mars will still be the same - unchanged. rotating the eyepiece doesn't rotate the image.

The reason why Mars seems to have "rotated" is because both pics were taken at different periods at nite and since the planets move across the sky in a curved/elliptical path, their poles will seem to have shifted when viewed from one location on Earth.

Hence, this is the "truth". :) We are jus too accustomed to the "rightened" pics of planets we see in books, when in fact, such laws don't exist in space.

ckhaos said:

Ok..let me clear this up. It as nothing to do with the positioning of the eyepiece. It depends on the scope and the accessories that you put on the scope before the eyepiece.

For example, in a refractor design scope (those normal straight through scopes as most people will know), putting just an eyepiece will show an upside-down image at the eyepiece. It's like a normal pin-hole camera..upside down image. But if you put a star diagonal before the eyepiece, the image obtained will be a straight-up image but with left and right reverse. And if the user use a straight-up diagonal instead, then he will get a straight up image with left and right correct. It depends on teh scope design and accessories

And if you use other kind of scope design, you might get other orientation.That's why I saw some other images are mirror images of mine....that's because he uses other scopes.

In astrophotos orientation is normally not important because things like galaxies, star clusters don't really have a "right" orientation. So designers of scopes don't really bother if you have a straight up image.

And if you live far south (Australia, NZealand) all your astro images will be upside down too.

Status
Not open for further replies.