8x21 Tasco Bino- How much would you pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sulhan

May 11, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.md-sulhan.com
Hieee...

To all those bird watchers .....how much would you pay for a 8x21 Bino from makers like tasco, Bushnell???

I just came back from Malaysia and its sold at about RM$225 (approx $100 SGD)

I know these are the low end brands....juz wanna se if anyone owns them or bought them b4??

rgds,
Sulhan

FYI:

For those who may not know.... in Binoculars the specs are normally M x O where M is the magnification and O is the objective lens diameter.

In this case an 8 X 21 is a 8x magnification by 21mm objective lens.
8 x view in this case close to a 560~600mm lens view on SLR cameras.

The Nikon 8x21 'Sprint' has a list price of S$135, so i guess retail would be cheaper. Maybe try looking at Nikon prices in Malaysia?

Hie...Erwinx

When i was i china, i stumble upon a shop selling some "brandless" bino and after chatting with the person in the shop it was then clear to me that some companies like Tasco,Sprint,Bushnell and Nikon too (i dunno if this is true) OEM some of the compact roof prism type of bino to makers in china.

And guess what.....the binos that does not have "names" printed is only around SGD$50 to 80.

Well....i want to check out if the pricing here in Singapore is that low.

rgds,
Sulhan

Er, there is a huge difference between bushnell and tasco.

Tasco is a low end brand, while bushnell's Bino are much better, I'll say they are in the lower end of the mid-range market.

That being said, I think 8x21 binos are not worth the $$, $100 can get you 8x25, which I think is a much better choice. If you can handle the extra weight and size, 8x30 or 8x40 would be even better.

Not too sure about the price of those no name binos though....

Let's sidetrack a bit, since it's kopitiam, hope it's ok.

I got a Russian bino (marked CCCP), with markings 9990x3600 "Sehfeld 8m auf 180000m"

Any idea what kind of bino is it?

sulhan said:
8 x view in this case close to a 560~600mm lens view on SLR cameras.
out of curiosity, how did you come about these numbers?

Well...thi was how i got the numbers.

I used my 70-200 with stacked 1.4x and 2x teleconverter that worked out to be at max 560mm.

And then focusing on the distant subject and using one eye to look through the viewfinder and one eye through the binoculars, i superimpose both image in to normal visual view and both overlap to form one image nicely.

With this quick test, i then assume that the magnification at infinity on the lens setup is almost equivalent to the 8x21's 8x magnification.

Well...it may not be accurate but at least along that line.....

regards,
Sulhan

Status
Not open for further replies.