7D shutter count

EndlessFaith

Apr 2, 2009
Hi, I brought a new a new 7D at Cathay photo on sat. Then when i go home and take some photos, i realise that the photo count starts from 9k plus. When i buy it the person use a new memory card to test it therefore can strike out the chance the cam is using the other card's number. So can i go back to Cathay Photo to ask for a change or isit suppose to starts with 9 plus?

What about those memory cards used before for demonstration? Could have been customer cards. The camera will notice the sequence number and continue from there. Check with CSC if in doubt.

Hi, I brought a new a new 7D at Cathay photo on sat. Then when i go home and take some photos, i realise that the photo count starts from 9k plus. When i buy it the person use a new memory card to test it therefore can strike out the chance the cam is using the other card's number. So can i go back to Cathay Photo to ask for a change or isit suppose to starts with 9 plus?

maybe you can try to check the actual shutter count using the software below

http://astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

but if i bring to CP will they change for me? As they say they offer me 3 days, if anything wrong can bring back and i got sch so dun think got time to bring to CSC le... btw if i bring there to check hw much will it cost?

the 7d shutter count is rated at 150k. don't worry abt it too much if the camera works properly.

hmmm...then i am not sure what is the problem because i dont have a 7D but a search on the internet shows that that software is able to detect 7D.

hmm ok can thx alot!

the 7d shutter count is rated at 150k. don't worry abt it too much if the camera works properly.

hmm... i noe 9k is a long way to 150k. But i kinda feel like kana "scam" like that le... :(

hmm... i noe 9k is a long way to 150k. But i kinda feel like kana "scam" like that le... :(

maybe like what Octarine told you it could be the CF card that CP used.

try to reload the EOS CD again and try that software, try to install all the softwares from to EOS disc.

Tried it alr it still won't detect :(

I don't think the software mentioned above will work with 7D. If you are really concerned about the shutter count, the only way to ease your doubt is to send the camera to CSC. I think they charge around $20+ for checking shutter count.

If you ask me, the most likely scenario will be what Octarine has mentioned - someone put in an old memory card with 9K count in it. I really doubt Cathay will try to sell a 9k shutter count camera as new to their customer. If the shutter counter is due to customer testing, it should be in the hundreds not thousands. And Cathay move stock so fast that it is unthinkable the same camera can be tested by so many customers to get to the 9k count.

though the 7d is rated to have 150K avg lifespan, having bought a new unit(not resale I assume) with a 9K shutter counts feel like you have gotten a display set without being informed. TS shd go back and have it replaced if he can indeed verify that the shutter count is 9K...if its around tens to hundreds range, it's still reasonable, not thousands....

though the 7d is rated to have 150K avg lifespan, having bought a new unit(not resale I assume) with a 9K shutter counts feel like you have gotten a display set without being informed. TS shd go back and have it replaced if he can indeed verify that the shutter count is 9K...if its around tens to hundreds range, it's still reasonable, not thousands....

i think if one thinks rationally, cathay doesn't really let people test the cameras at the shop so the possibility of a 9k shutter count is almost impossible.

i think in cs, everyone gets too caught up with owning the latest and newest and forgot what they bought the camera for. lol.

i think if one thinks rationally, cathay doesn't really let people test the cameras at the shop so the possibility of a 9k shutter count is almost impossible.

i think in cs, everyone gets too caught up with owning the latest and newest and forgot what they bought the camera for. lol.

Agreed. I don't know 9k shutter count is possible.

To check shutter count, I take a photo, then I open the photo using free Opanda IEXIF Viewer (http://www.opanda.com/en/download/index.html) to check shutter count. Not sure if this will work with Canon, but I remember it works.

Btw, TS, inserting a new memory card doesn't restart the file number sequencing in the camera.

Btw, TS, inserting a new memory card doesn't restart the file number sequencing in the camera.
There is a function to reset the sequence counter to '0000' when inserting a new / blank memory card. TS could do this and have the counter set to 0 again - and be happy :bsmilie:
But of course, this will not affect the real shutter count, similar to the fact that a high sequence number doesn't say anything about the real shutter count.
Btw: after 10k shots the sequence will restart again anyway... cause there are only 4 digits.

There is a function to reset the sequence counter to '0000' when inserting a new / blank memory card. TS could do this and have the counter set to 0 again - and be happy :bsmilie:
But of course, this will not affect the real shutter count, similar to the fact that a high sequence number doesn't say anything about the real shutter count.
Btw: after 10k shots the sequence will restart again anyway... cause there are only 4 digits.

so TS 7D shuttercount should be 19000 instaed of 9000.....

Last edited:

could be 149000. 1000 more till shutter failure.

I see. So the main thing is TS must check his actual shutter count and not jump to conclusion too early. Any possibility for his 7D to start count at 9k?

And flipfreak will make our TS freak out :bsmilie: