7D illuminate VF focus point that acquired focus lock

icelava

Feb 5, 2009
Bishan
www.flickr.com
I use single focus point (mostly centre point). back with 450D, the point that was used will blink its dot red when focus was acquired.

now with the 7D, i find no option to make only the particular focus point blink. The entire VF overlay will illuminate red (after forcing it in CIII-8 to illuminate in all conditions). is there any trick to get just the focus point to blink red instead?

To display only the focus point, set C.Fn III-9 to 0 (default). Now when you are shooting, only the active focus points are displayed.

To know when it is in focus, the focus light will blink (green, lower right in VF). The camera will also beep if you have set this to be on.

C.Fn III -8 is the view finder illumination - suggest to switch to default so that it illuminate in dim condition.

Hope this helps.

but if i do that i won't be able to pre-determine where the other AF points are.

Let me see if I understand you correctly first.

1. You want single point AF (can select any 1 point)
2. You want only the selected AF point shown in viewfinder only
3. You want the selected point to blink red when in focus

If above is correct, then Kermitfm has correct shown you the setting, and I repeat here hopefully clear to you:
From MENU, goto C.Fn III and scroll to selection 9. Set to 0-Disable (1:Enable will show all AF points in VF)
Then goto C.Fn III selection 8. Set to 1:Enable which will cause the selected AF point to blink red when in focus. The default setting is 0-Auto which will cause AF point not blink if scene is bright. Setting 2: Disable is obvious make all AF not blink.

HTH

Last edited:
Nope, i'd like how it works with the 450D - all points are shown always. When achieving lock, the point(s) flash red, not the entirely overlay display.

The 7D can show all points but flashes the entire display.

Last edited:
I do not own a 450D so I do not know how it works but I think you are mistaking the 'flashing red' overlay as the focus indicator. The red display is just a viewfinder illuminator. The focus point indicator is the large rectangle. The 19 focus points are teh small rectangles. If you move your spot focus point around, you will see tha large rectangle moving showing which focus point is used.

The video link below describes the fousing on the 7D. Maybe if you see the view finder display in the video you will know what I am trying to say. Sorry I could not be more descriptive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xYWQ3NUuMk&p=187CC5882A843D19&playnext=1&index=10

No, you have to use a 450D to understand what i mean then - only the AF point(s) that achieves lock illuminates red. Not the entire display layout.

Wat u mean is when in focus, the indicator blink to indicated focus locked. 7D uses LCD overlay. dun have such feature. Focus confirmation was done with a green dot at the right bottom in the VF.

I use to have a 40D so I think the 450D works the same. What I am trying to explain is that the 7D will not do it the way 450D does in showing the focus points. Canon implemented a new method to display the focus points in 7D and whether it is good or bad is a discussion I will not want to go into.

So to go back to your original question: "is there any trick to get just the focus point to blink red instead?". The answer is - No.

Cheers...

I happened to have both 7D and 450D, and just did a check on the 450D. I know what you mean now.

The AF point shown are different. However, I prefer the 7D for the following reasons. But guess one man meat is another poison.

1. 7D AF points are easier to see than 450D especially with distracting background.
2. 7D selected AF point is shown with larger rectangle. For 450D, unless you remember which AF point is selected, you can only tell when it blink after focus lock.
3. 7D blink all points make it easier to know it's already in focus. 450D blink only a dot in the selected AF point make it less easier to notice. This shouldn't be a issue for recognising which is the selected AF point for 7D as mention the size of the selected AF point is larger.

i like the 450D style T__T

wrong cam for u then haha, u should get 5DMKII ;p same style as 450D. blink blink only haha... i pass my friend (7D user) my cam, she prefers 7D cos she more used to the AF display on her 7D... :bsmilie: