7D damage in rain

All is not lost. Apparently the 7D is "very durable".
[video=youtube;RCT-YMgjm9k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCT-YMgjm9k[/video]

Of specific interest: at 4:35 of the video.

As what some bros suggested above, let it dry out in a dry cabinet or under the sun (which is not much in this rainy S'pore weather nowadays).

Last edited:
Hey guys,

My 7D was just damaged in the rain, when i put the battery into the camera with the switch at off, the camera fires at 8 fps and the viewfinder shows a bright red screen.

Does anyone know how much do i need to pay for a refurbished 7D if my camera can't be fixed or how much does the repair job cost?

will appreciate your replies,

Thanks

I think I've read this occuring before and it seems to correlate to whenever someone changes batteries when its wet.

I've shot in the rain before and never had any problems, but not with the 7D. Nevertheless, its a bad idea to change batteries and expose the contacts when the battery is wet. I doubt any camera, however good the weather sealing, will react well when its contacts/internals are wet.

Thanks for your reply guys, currently camera is still down, was shooting at Ubin, had my 70-200L f2.8 ii on when i was shooting, just to add when i was shooting in the rain i had my flash gun on as well and was shooting with flash, i'm back on mainland Singapore right now so hoping my camera would be fine tml and i'll be sending it for repairs on Mon if it's still not working.

I have seen a similar problem on 5D before. The owner mentioned that the camera was also caught in the rain.
He said after keeping the camera in the dry cabinet for a few days, it work as per normal. Then after a few days the camera started to go haywire.

Under the top LCD is a microprocessor board (the "brain" of the camera).
Probably rain water has leaked from the shuttle jog to the microprocessor board and has resulted in oxidation in one of the connectors.
The oxidation caused short circuit causing abnormal operation.

The microprocessor board doesn't cost a lot. Sometimes cleaning and reapplying solder to the connector can do the fix

Thanks for your reply guys, currently camera is still down, was shooting at Ubin, had my 70-200L f2.8 ii on when i was shooting, just to add when i was shooting in the rain i had my flash gun on as well and was shooting with flash, i'm back on mainland Singapore right now so hoping my camera would be fine tml and i'll be sending it for repairs on Mon if it's still not working.

Good luck with the camera. Is the lens OK?

Hey guys,

My 7D was just damaged in the rain, when i put the battery into the camera with the switch at off, the camera fires at 8 fps and the viewfinder shows a bright red screen.

Does anyone know how much do i need to pay for a refurbished 7D if my camera can't be fixed or how much does the repair job cost?

will appreciate your replies,

Thanks

Omg sorry to hear about that. You can try taking out the battery and drying the unit first to see if it stops behaving this way.

How much water was involved? :sweat:

Omg sorry to hear about that. You can try taking out the battery and drying the unit first to see if it stops behaving this way.

How much water was involved? :sweat:

hmmm, well i was shooting in the forest, the rain was just a drizzle at 1st and then it became slightly heavier, body was kinda soak, should have stopped when the AF started to fail on me though, lesson learned

hmmm.... I bet I can find shower videos for Canon too...

[video=youtube;Z45-xTrDeiE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z45-xTrDeiE&NR=1[/video]