70mm-200mm which f stop to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
f2.8 L IS! :thumbsup: Don't have to buy from retail shop if no money. Patiently wait at B&S forum for good deal. got mine at 2600 brand new non-grey local set. superb deal.

slacker123 said:
um... 135 f/2 and a 1.4x.

it replaced my 2.8 IS...

Yup, that's the way to go.

The 135 is an incredible lens. Unbelievably sharp with 1.4xTC. So you actually get 2 great L lens in one. f2 bokeh is amazing at this focal length. :D It is also much lighter and more discreet than the 70-200 f2.8. This is one good way to spend the savings by going with the f4.

Depends on where you like to shoot.

For me, the 70-200mm focal lengths come in handy for outdoor shots, be it buildings, candid street shots, etc, during the day. So f/4 is quite adequate. I literally can't imagine walking around town taking shots with a boat-anchorish f/2.8 IS. It's an oxymoron actually. The appeal of Image Stabilization is to reduce camera shake in handheld shots, but the 3.2lbs weight simply isn't a huge fan for handholdability/portability.

Indoor use, I wouldn't even consider a 70-200mm focal length, unless I'm paid to do indoor event coverage. Even then, the 135mm f/2 would be a better candidate for serious indoor photography. For informal ones (like *urgghh* a colleague's wedding), I wouldn't even bother lugging multiple lens, just a Sigma 18-200mm would do.

Gunbucker said:
Depends on where you like to shoot.

For me, the 70-200mm focal lengths come in handy for outdoor shots, be it buildings, candid street shots, etc, during the day. So f/4 is quite adequate. I literally can't imagine walking around town taking shots with a boat-anchorish f/2.8 IS. It's an oxymoron actually. The appeal of Image Stabilization is to reduce camera shake in handheld shots, but the 3.2lbs weight simply isn't a huge fan for handholdability/portability.

Indoor use, I wouldn't even consider a 70-200mm focal length, unless I'm paid to do indoor event coverage. Even then, the 135mm f/2 would be a better candidate for serious indoor photography. For informal ones (like *urgghh* a colleague's wedding), I wouldn't even bother lugging multiple lens, just a Sigma 18-200mm would do.

Great advice! I bought the Sigma 18-200 too with highly satisfactory results. Having shot test charts with the 70-200 f/4, I would say it is an incredible lens at that price! :)

The 2.8L is a good lens too with many capabilities. You can't really go wrong with any of the 3 brothers.

the 70-200 IS is worth!
you'll get used to the weight, even if you don't, you'll be happy :)

Is there any comparison between the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS and the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX APO IF HSM? The Sigma is almost 1/2 the Canon's price but how about the built (i.e. durability)? Any known compatibility issues with FF or APS-C DSLRs?

Its up to you to decide that you want to carry a tripod along with your f/4 lens or you just want to carry your f/2.8 IS. With 200mm zoom and shady light conditions you definately require a tripod with f/4 without IS. I am a happy and satisfied owner of f/2.8 IS.

EOS350D said:
EOS
50mm f/1.4
17-40mm f/4L
100mm f/2.8 Macro
70-200mm f/2.8L IS

Great Combo :thumbsup:

I was thinking on this set-up except the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS cause of the weight & most importantly,the $$$ issue.No doubt it's one of canon's best lenses so if you can afford it and don't mind the weight then go for it.I can't afford so i use the f/4 only. :bsmilie:

Amongst the 3 versions, the F4 is the sharpest by a small margin. No doubt the IS version is a great workhorse lens.

However IS only helps with camera shake and not when higher shutter speeds are needed e.g. sports

Status
Not open for further replies.