70-300ED(4.5-5.6), 70-300G(4.5-5.6) or 28-200G(3.5-5.6)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jksc said:
How much is the 70-300G and 70-300D selling in Singapore??

Bought my 70-300G from CP at $265. If I recall correctly the 70-300ED version is past $700 bucks.

I check with the local dealers in Malaysia and they claim only the silver 70-300 G lense is available in Malaysia market.... no Black one :thumbsd: :thumbsd: by the way they also claim that 70-300 ED is not sell in Malaysia due to the hot weather in Malaysia! :what: they said the HOT weather in Malaysia will cause the grease to leak out from the lense?? :think:

Just got myself the Sigma 70-300 APO Super Macro II. Bought from John 3/16 at $360. This is a VERY VERY good piece of glass for the money, sure as hell beats the Nikkor 70-300G in colour and then some in sharpness. Only problem is that it tends to hunt in lowlight and the construction leaves much to be desired, but hey, for $360 who's complaining?

May I ask what kind of aviation photography you have in mind?
Static on the ground shot, Dynamic Air show or just aerial photography (picture taking from plane/helicopter) ?

These situations demand something different and I could assure you that you will be more frustrate than satisfy with 70-300 ED/G, or sigma APO.

If I have to pick one for walking around a runway or a/port, it would be 28-200 for its' focusing speed.

O2764928-5.jpg

i will be taking pictures of aircrafts roaring off to the sky or fast speed landing pictures..... is 70-200 really faster than a 70-300??

jksc said:
i will be taking pictures of aircrafts roaring off to the sky or fast speed landing pictures..... is 70-200 really faster than a 70-300??

never tried the 70-200 before. but the 70-300G might be a bit slow for aircrafts flying off... i don't know much about air crafts, but its enough for me to take pics of a soccer match. hehe.... and i got it for $120 second hand. in very gd condition... :)

The 70-300 either ED or G version will be too slow focusing at the aircraft taking off at V1 even with manual focus or focus pre set at infinity.
The camera shake will be too much from panning the camera chasing the plane on the runway. And you won't be focusing fast enough either when the plane running toward or away from you.

I would recommend get in side as close to the runway as possible. Early morning and evening when the sun close to the horizon is the best as this reduce bright back lit sky which will cause under exposure.

As for the lens, a lowly 28-200mm. with its' fast focusing speed will help you a lot.

PS. The 28-200 focus speedily because it's light weight glass optimized for low torque AF drive train with just a 1/4 turn from near to infinity.

O2774617-2.jpg

what about the Sigma 70-300 apo mACRO... is it faster than the Nikon? :what:

jksc said:
what about the Sigma 70-300 apo mACRO... is it faster than the Nikon? :what:

Just to share, as I do own both the lens, Sigma APO II 70-300 and Nikkor 70-300 ED...

If talking about the technical aspect, i would do some justy to Nikon... Why it was being popular in the first place is definitely not an over night issue. How does the price of Nikon ED lens 70-300 lasted over a decade? another question is why it continued to be popular???? Similarly, APO lens in Sigma. For the test report that I read, recommended by BLight, I tot the tester only tested twice on the lens and found no interest.... Yes probably, it sounded pretty good as he had already a preference in heart (70-210) which described by him to be best.... Is price a concern in him? I doubted...

Anyway, anyone tried Sigma APO found that it is good, sure the colour tone won many hearts, comparing to Nikon, I personally feel that it was a great different. Bear this in mind, the Sigma APO is a good lens but easily loosen when heavily used (One-touch zoom) unlike Nikon one-touch... My APO len now become my magnifly glass and couldn't bother to send for cleaning. Especially when attached with the TC, increasing the f/stop really turn me away. How reputable a lens, it always come with a price.

but easily loosen when heavily used (One-touch zoom)

Hmm..... think i will stick with Nikon then.... by the way anyone here had experience with Tamron... yes! they are cheap and afforable.... but how's the picture quality?? :think:

I bought the 70-300 ED lens few weeks ago, SGD630 from Cathay Photo while Max Photo (Wan Ling) was quoting SGD625. The G lens cost around SGD285.

The focusing of the ED lens is slow and given a choice would have bought something with F2.8. Not sure fast enough for you to take planes or not, you may have to use mannual focus. if you like to see some sample shots of the ED lens, will be happy to post them.

look at my sample pics taken by 70-300 sigma apo macro 2..bought it 2nd hand at 200+
took sharp pics at good light (look at the bird swinging arm, taken at 300mm) slight PS
The rest I think its my techniques problem. Basically this lens is capable of taking more than average pic.

http://www.forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=77055&highlight=SBG

GOOD BUY!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.