600mm lens for EM1

EisMann

Feb 15, 2013
Singapore
G'Morning Everyone,

I am looking for a replacement for my current Oly 75~300mm lens.

The lens is good if the sun or strong light is in front of the subject (bird) due to the small aperture.

Other than Oly 300mm F4 or the older version 300mm F2.8 or the 3rd party Sigma, I am preparing to explore other brands of zoom lens. The only problem is, I don't know where to get the adaptor for the latter group.

Have heard of one Black Market or something in Peninsular Plaza. But could not find the shop.

Thank You
Merry Christmas Everyone

EisMann

Unless black market close shop it should be at 4th/5th level?
Do note most adapters are dumb ones meaning no autofocus or electronic contacts only manual focus.
Other photoshops do sell them. Autofocus adapters for m43 are only available for canon ef/efs.
Fotga brand seem the cheapest,best to shop online for best price like aliexpress,taobao or even amazon.
Sg prices are ex.if you can wait.

Two brands of adapters are able to work with Canon EF lenses while maintaining AF/IS functions -Metabones and Kipon.

Kipon is the cheaper solution. I have used the Kipon with GX85 with two Canon EF lenses 100/2.8 Macro (IS version) and the 100-400 (first version).

Lens that I tried and doesn't work - Tamron 150-600 G2.
Lens tried and working partially - Sigma 100/2.8 Macro OS. It does not work reliably on the GX85. However, it works OK with the GM5.

For now, I am concluding that 3rd party lenses are trickier and less likely to work well.

I won't know how well the Kipon will work with Olympus M43 bodies. Cathay sells Kipon. It is not easy to find used Kipon's, much less at a good price. You might as well check in with Cathay. At the same time, you can try the Canon lenses if you decide to buy the Kipon.

Metabones, I didn't try as the cost is higher. But apparently, it gets better comments on tyhe web.

BTW, Kipon adapters are firmware update capable using the micro USB port on the Kipon and a PC.

For now, I am concluding that 3rd party lenses are trickier and less likely to work well.
---
---
BTW, Kipon adapters are firmware update capable using the micro USB port on the Kipon and a PC.

For your benefit of understanding and others reading also...

I'm not an electronics engineer but a hobbyist AFAIK you are partly correct..it has to do with firmware of the adapter but also of the particular camera.These chinese adapters and those that angmohs sell are technically reversed engineered, meaning some clever hacker with the right tools (software)and hardware can read the code or firmware if it is not secured meaning the read/write function is not disabled after programming which also mean it is upgradable through an engineering change if there are bugs or other feature to improve the product. The hacking is never with the blessing of the original manufacturer...hey but all these functions or building blocks of code cannot be protected unless the maker disable the read function permanantly/forever which makes it unalterable or not upgradable.

Firmware is technically a small piece or can be big piece of software depending on which microcontroller and flash memory size it comes with that communicates and control what features or functions available in the camera as well as the electronic controls of the lens eg. autofocus,distance info and aperture or image stabalisation.

Each camera may use the same generic microcontroller something like a Arduino type or more advanced chip or a different one depending on the design. Certain parts of the firmware may also use same generic instructions but in general the japs are not that consistant nor do they care about this as different engineers will want to implement his own code. What this means is since not all firmware from the same brand are identical so to expect a hacker who works for 3rd. party oem to follow up and test/investigate the actual firmware or upgrade if it is readable is quite a task and hence it's difficult to make product universal in use across all cameras just like 3rd. party electronic flash. It's also a way to thwart hackers and make life difficult and so to protect original equipment makers (OEM) intellectual property.That's why open source software cannot be always be uptodate unless people (programmers who work for free for benefit of community) take the effort and support it so one is left on their own once a bug or problem arises.:(

Edit : Different microcontrollers may have diferent ways/instruction code of implementing similar functions by that to mean using different instructions so firmware written for a particular camera with a different chip will understandably not work as intended hence user's frustrations and head scratching but now you know? :)

Last edited:
Aye, you are right.

Essentially, any 3rd party products are most likely reversed engineered, whether ang moh or chinese engineers. It is not guaranteed to work under all conditions and anytime, if the original manufacturer were to change a major piece of the hardware component or firmware architecture, in newer products the 3rd party hacks may not work. And they will have to start cracking their heads again to work around again. Never ending story :)

Hence, there is always an element of uncertainty in using 3rd party products

Have heard of one Black Market or something in Peninsular Plaza. But could not find the shop.

Just a note, I went to their store to check out some accessories recently, I found their instore prices to be higher than their estore prices. You may want to compare accordingly.

They have a online store on their own site (https://www.blackmarketcamera.com/products) and also sell on qoo10 (https://www.qoo10.sg/shop/blackmarketcamera)

G'Morning Everyone,

I am looking for a replacement for my current Oly 75~300mm lens.

The lens is good if the sun or strong light is in front of the subject (bird) due to the small aperture.

Other than Oly 300mm F4 or the older version 300mm F2.8 or the 3rd party Sigma, I am preparing to explore other brands of zoom lens. The only problem is, I don't know where to get the adaptor for the latter group.

Thank You
Merry Christmas Everyone

EisMann

The other option you could consider is the Panasonic 100-400 m43 lens.

Everyone,

Thanks for the replies and sharing.
Was tied up with work last 2 weeks. (Anyone who procures or sells brass or bronze material can PM what is the current real market situation?)

One-Eye-Jack
Thanks for the direction. I was in the wrong Peninsular building the last time.
Went there today after work. $60 bucks. After I took a good look at the Nikon 35~135mm & Sigma 28~300mm lenses, Fatique may advise, "......you better off in buying another Nikon lens......."

SKF,
Fota, Metabones, Kipon, are they known to work well between Canon lens & Oly M4/3 bodies? Will read more during this long weekend.

Kiti,

For the Pana 100~400mm, I presume at 400mm, the aperture will be F6.3. What when at 300mm? F5.6?

With my limited experience, I need to have the light source in front of the bird to get a 'bright' shot with the current Oly zoom lens.
Hence I am looking at those old zoom lens with manual aperture opening to make up for my lack of skill.

I take this opportunity to wish all Clubsnappers, Happy & Peaceful New Year.

EisMann

Last edited:
For the Pana 100~400mm, I presume at 400mm, the aperture will be F6.3. What when at 300mm? F5.6?

With my limited experience, I need to have the light source in front of the bird to get a 'bright' shot with the current Oly zoom lens.
Hence I am looking at those old zoom lens with manual aperture opening to make up for my lack of skill.

EisMann

For the Panny 100-400mm at 300mm the display reading from the LCD panel is f5.7 on the EM1 MkII.

Personally I would say the 100-400mm would be the best bang for the buck at $2K.
only drawback is it cannot use the Pro Capture in the MkII.

Good luck in your search and a good year ahead.

Hosm

Fota, Metabones, Kipon, are they known to work well between Canon lens & Oly M4/3 bodies? Will read more during this long weekend

I only have one old Olympus body left - the EP5. I tried my Kipon with the Canon 100mm /f2.8 macro IS; it works. I have sold off my Canon 100-400, but it is safe to assume that it will work.

Hosm is right, Panasonic 100-400 is the best bang for the buck. As for your concerns that the max aperture at the tele end is small, bring your EM1 go to the shops and try the 100-400. I spoke to a fellow forumner recently, he has used the Panasonic 100-400 with both G85 and EM1 ii and according to him, both works well.

Skf, Hosm,

Thanks for your replies.

Will try out Pana 100~400.

One good thing about M4/3, it is non intrusive or intimidating to others for all photo shoot occasions.

I can put a EM1 with 12~40mm together with the 75~300mm lens in a bag no bigger than (270Lx150Hx110W)mm. Can even shaft in one extra filter and basic cleaning kits, SD cards and 2 extra bat.

If I don't take the tripod along, feel like 孫悟空, whip out (like the staff from his ear)change the necessary lens, shoot, keep and go for street shoot.

Outdoor bird shoot lagi better. No need carry fullback like for road march.
Unfortunately for my lack of skill and the 75~300mm aperture limitation, can't get many good, sharp shots though...........

EisMann

Re the Panasonic 100-400; just to give you some perspective of the size

https://www.tenba.com/products/tools-byob-10-camera-insert.aspx

If you were to look at the Tenba insert in the link, I carry the Panasonic 100-400; either GX85 with JB grip. I also have a smaller GM5 with the Panasonic 12-6o. All these are carried with lenses dismounted.

Of course, the insert goes into a bag.