$600 SLR or $1.2K prosumer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawntim

Feb 13, 2002
I'm looking for a relatively good camera, i think prosumer class.

yesterday i went to chinatown and saw a 'new' Oly film SLR that looks almost like the Canon Pro90IS.. and it costs $550.

the funny thing is it labels as 4x zoom, but after conversion it's 70-480mm... the dimage 7 is only 28-200mm but it's 7x zoom !

do SLR zoom and zooms on DCs mean different things ?

is there anysite that does reviews for film cameras like the film version of dpreview?

Originally posted by shawntim
yesterday i went to chinatown and saw a 'new' Oly film SLR that looks almost like the Canon Pro90IS.. and it costs $550.

the funny thing is it labels as 4x zoom, but after conversion it's 70-480mm... the dimage 7 is only 28-200mm but it's 7x zoom !

do SLR zoom and zooms on DCs mean different things ?

I suppose you are referring to the Olympus IS series of SLR cameras, but I don't remember any one of them having a 70-480mm lens. Most of them have 28-110mm lens which is 4x. The latest in that series is the IS500 which has a 28-120mm lens, and selling for $499 I think?

You mentioned "after conversion it's 70-480mm", what kind of conversion are u referring to?

http://www.olympus.co.jp/LineUp/Camera/Lsrs/is500E.html

yup.. it's the IS500.. just saw it yesterday.. guess i was mislead regarding the zoom details.. because when i saw the dimage's 7x zoom image previews, there is no way the IS500 with max 120mm can beat that zoom..

as for the conversion.. meaning converting the math (4x) into the length.. nvm.. also not too sure how to put it forth..

so how is this camera ? should i get this or the s602z? it looks good, alot more affordable.. i dunno what's so great about this SLR...

Status
Not open for further replies.