5D2 weather resistant gave way

renzero

Dec 10, 2004
Hi guys,
Just to check if anyone encountered full internal body corrosion (PCB, Shutter, Sensor, Mirror etc) on a 5D2?

My trusty 6years old 5D2 died on top of HuangShan 2 weeks ago, was light rain + single digit temp.
After checking by Canon, I was being quoted 2.2k for spareparts excl other repair cost and GST.
So my question is that anyone encountered such corrosion issue.

I shoot under the rain for many years without issue, so it may be an accumulative effect of corrosion.
Or because my dry cabinet is too dry (35%) that may lead to instant corrosion the moment the weather sealing gave way.

If there any location/part of the camera that vulnerable to even light rain? (the gaps of buttons and screen behind?)

Please advise so that i can take more precaution as I intended to replace it with a 5D3.

Thanks all in advance

Hi guys,
Just to check if anyone encountered full internal body corrosion (PCB, Shutter, Sensor, Mirror etc) on a 5D2?

My trusty 6years old 5D2 died on top of HuangShan 2 weeks ago, was light rain + single digit temp.
After checking by Canon, I was being quoted 2.2k for spareparts excl other repair cost and GST.

I shoot under the rain for many years without issue, so it may be an accumulative effect of corrosion.
Or because my dry cabinet is too dry (35%) that may lead to instant corrosion the moment the weather sealing gave way.

If there any location/part of the camera that vulnerable to even light rain? (the gaps of buttons and screen behind?)

Please advise so that i can take more precaution as I intended to replace it with a 5D3.

Thanks all in advance

No matter what Canon say about 5D2 or the latest 5D3 being 'weather sealed' I would rather not chance it
and will still protect it from the weather period. S**t happens.

is time to upgrade...2.2k, not worth spending...

It's not unexpected to have the weather sealing deteriorate, especially after six years. But if there's extensive corrosion that was recently discovered, it's possible that it might have been a gradual slow leak over time, as opposed to being caused by one single incident.

If you expect to do a lot of outdoor shooting, perhaps one precaution you can take (other than using your camera as per normal) is to bring the body in for servicing at least once a year (after warranty expires) to get the condition of the weather sealing gaskets checked?

It's not unexpected to have the weather sealing deteriorate, especially after six years. But if there's extensive corrosion that was recently discovered, it's possible that it might have been a gradual slow leak over time, as opposed to being caused by one single incident.
+1 this.
Lucky your camera able stand quite long. My 7D died instantly after got view splash from rain (covered by umbrella, but somehow still leaked). After that, I has some worry that the camera somehow not that 'strong' as advertised, and now avoid any splash with any cost.
2.2k is not worth for part replacement. Nowadays you can get 2nd hand of 5D2 with around 1500$, maybe less.

Thanks all in advance

Dry cab being too dry or too wet has nothing to do with this. The seals are too old. Even underwater housings need to replace seals from time to time.

Not just 5D2, I have seen D3 getting corrosion. Nothing last forever, especially weather sealing.

As for gaps, one of the biggest gaps for water to get in is through the hotshoe. Did you tape it down? Another is the pop up flash, but your cam model does not come with a pop up flash.

I think that you got your money's worth out of your 5D2 especially after using it in moisture for the last 6 years.

I think that the weather sealing is better on the 5D3 but personally I would hesitate using such an expensive and delicate instrument in the rain. Cameras are essentially computers that can take photos. They may have a little weather sealing to protect the sensitive internal instrumentation and circuitry but they are susceptible to moisture damage just like any other electronic device.

If your usage demands moist environments, then I would have the camera cleaned and inspected by CSC every year to replace worn sealings and to correct trouble spots. I would also bring the PH value in your dry box from 35% to about 45-50% which is level that is ideal for cameras.

Did you use a battery grip? Because while the body may be weather resistant, attaching a battery grip(original or 3rd party) will break the weather sealing.

The battery grip has a tendency to collect water as it drips down the camera and capillary action will pull the water further into the camera. Also if you inspect the battery grip carefully, the bit that extends into the camera does not have a weather seal to prevent water from going into the camera's battery compartment.

As with all 'sealed' items, any foreign debris will prevent the weather seals from sealing properly and water ingress may happen.

Full body corrosion cannot instantly happen. $2,200 to repair an old model only applies if that particular camera body is of great sentimental value to owner.

Otherwise it is a joke.

Thanks all and appreciate the input and advise.
No.. I did not use the battery grip despite the fact that I have one.. mainly due to the extra weight.
Anyway, I have told Canon not to go ahead with the repair (they need to replace every single PCB, shutter, cables etc inside the body), plus they can no longer guarantee the 'weather resistance' feature anymore.
In another word, after the reassemble everything back, the weather resistance of the 5D2 practically non existance compared to the new one from the factory.

I have ordered a new 5D3 grey set from technogadget as they are selling very close to the price in HKG (which I called and checked).

Nevertheless, thanks to the 5D2 for the company and memory through out these many years.. sad to let it go.

you should take back the 5D2 and open it up for an autopsy to verify the corrosion, and perhaps you could pinpoint the weak point of the weather resistance.

No.. I did not use the battery grip despite the fact that I have one.. mainly due to the extra weight.
Anyway, I have told Canon not to go ahead with the repair (they need to replace every single PCB, shutter, cables etc inside the body), plus they can no longer guarantee the 'weather resistance' feature anymore.
In another word, after the reassemble everything back, the weather resistance of the 5D2 practically non existance compared to the new one from the factory.

I have ordered a new 5D3 grey set from technogadget as they are selling very close to the price in HKG (which I called and checked).

Nevertheless, thanks to the 5D2 for the company and memory through out these many years.. sad to let it go.

LOL! Good luck with your order from Technogadget.. you might be headed for even more headaches :)

LOL! Good luck with your order from Technogadget.. you might be headed for even more headaches :)

Why so? care to share?
Because I always buy my equipment from HKG, and I see that they are selling close or even slightly cheaper than my regular HKG shop.

Why so? care to share?
Because I always buy my equipment from HKG, and I see that they are selling close or even slightly cheaper than my regular HKG shop.

Just search for Technogagdet threads and read all the complications and problems.. :)

Service centers (and some serious hobbyist ;) ) use PCs installed with special software for quick diagnostic check.
All the technician have to do is to hook up the camera to the PC,then the PC will communicate with the camera's microprocessor (micro-P) to
read the camera's self diagnostic fault. The software will also suggest which suspected faulty parts need replacement. This method makes it quick and easy to check the camera.
But if the micro-P board or the power supply board is in really bad shape, this method of checking may not be accurate. There could be more suspected faults than the actual condition

Another interesting fact is that the location of these 2 boards are just below the top LCD, the part of the camera where there's holes for a few buttons and a main dial.
I have seen both 5Dmki and 5Dmkii with wierd problems, it turns out that there's corrosion on the micro-P board. After replacing the board, everything is back to normal

So maybe, if the technician only did a quick diagnostic check, the diagnostic may not be accurate.

I suggest you confirm with CSC if the tecnician did open up the unit to do a visual check.

Service centers (and some serious hobbyist ;) ) use PCs installed with special software for quick diagnostic check.
All the technician have to do is to hook up the camera to the PC,then the PC will communicate with the camera's microprocessor (micro-P) to
read the camera's self diagnostic fault. The software will also suggest which suspected faulty parts need replacement. This method makes it quick and easy to check the camera.
But if the micro-P board or the power supply board is in really bad shape, this method of checking may not be accurate. There could be more suspected faults than the actual condition

Another interesting fact is that the location of these 2 boards are just below the top LCD, the part of the camera where there's holes for a few buttons and a main dial.
I have seen both 5Dmki and 5Dmkii with wierd problems, it turns out that there's corrosion on the micro-P board. After replacing the board, everything is back to normal

So maybe, if the technician only did a quick diagnostic check, the diagnostic may not be accurate.

I suggest you confirm with CSC if the tecnician did open up the unit to do a visual check.

Good advice!

Hi fatigue - am trying to contact you but CS indicates your message quota is full. Is there some other way to get in touch? thanks. shaman
[
QUOTE=fatigue;8852199]Service centers (and some serious hobbyist ;) ) use PCs installed with special software for quick diagnostic check.

I suggest you confirm with CSC if the tecnician did open up the unit to do a visual check.[/QUOTE]

Sorry didnt get your message.. I replied to u liao.
Anyway, my 5D3 from technogadget arrived yesterday, no doubt it's really another fantastic camera from Canon.

my 5d2 also back from Canon along with my other 3 L lenses which I sent in for usual AF/Sharpness calibration and servicing.
From what the technician told me, indeed most of the corrosion happened on the PCB. They revised the quote to 1.7k (from 2.2k). However 1.7k for repair is still high in my opinion, which I believe Canon is over-charging on the sparepart cost + the repair labour cost (which they quoted $500 + GST).

Anyhow, since I got myself a new 5D3 which I hope will last as long as my 5D2 for another 5-6years.

Thanks everyone for the valuable suggestion.

Sorry didnt get your message.. I replied to u liao.
Anyway, my 5D3 from technogadget arrived yesterday, no doubt it's really another fantastic camera from Canon.

my 5d2 also back from Canon along with my other 3 L lenses which I sent in for usual AF/Sharpness calibration and servicing.
From what the technician told me, indeed most of the corrosion happened on the PCB. They revised the quote to 1.7k (from 2.2k). However 1.7k for repair is still high in my opinion, which I believe Canon is over-charging on the sparepart cost + the repair labour cost (which they quoted $500 + GST).

Anyhow, since I got myself a new 5D3 which I hope will last as long as my 5D2 for another 5-6years.

Thanks everyone for the valuable suggestion.

Enjoy your new 5D3... it really is a great camera!

Hi guys,

Thanks all in advance

How many % actually the humidity should be in the dry cabinet? I am not sure also