550D or 60D ??

superzorro

Oct 28, 2010
Hi, im new here. Need some help :) im thinking of buying a DSLR. What you guys will recommend 550D or 60D ? Thanks

Hi, im new here. Need some help :) im thinking of buying a DSLR. What you guys will recommend 550D or 60D ? Thanks

The easy answer is the 60D. It is the newer of the two cameras but a little more expensive.

The harder answer would be based on your needs which haven't been mentioned. From that perspective, the question is difficult to answer. Could a little more information be provided so that we can be of help to you? :)

I want to learn to take good quality photos and learn more about DSLR. I was thinking about getting 550D but the price range diff not really alot,so why not get 60D. Thanks for the help :)

I want to learn to take good quality photos and learn more about DSLR. I was thinking about getting 550D but the price range diff not really alot,so why not get 60D. Thanks for the help :)

If budget, size and weight are not major considerations, then I would definitely recommend the 60D. The 550D is a smaller, lighter camera and its IQ is similar to the 60D, but there are more features on the 60D that make it easier and more flexible to use.

well the diff is about S$300-400 if i'm not mistaken, u can top up a bit and get a 2nd hand fast zoom or a prime + accesory, maybe u would like to tell ur max budget, both 550D or 60D is capable of producing good image, u might wanna save the extra $ diff to lens department or a flash

you like asking a question of "Should I eat Hainanese Chicken rice from a hawker center or a restaurant?" or "should I drink coffee from Kopitiam or Starbuck?"

the sensible answer is depends on your whether is a need or want and your budget.

Buy what you need and can afford.
550D is a very good camera for beginner. Use the money saved on a new lens, some accesories, etc

try to hold both cams, get which ever you think is more comfortable to you...

performance wise, both are almost the same...

Do you need the features of the 60D?

Don't forget to also consider the other items such as extra memory cards, tripod, dry cabinet, camera bag, etc...

550D body now only $1012 at Parisilk and SLR Revo, with standard Canon freebies. The savings of $400 can be used to buy accesories, or just top up a little to get a Tamron 17-50non VC... The 550D price has really came tumbling down since 60D launched, and I would encourage anyone who is first starting out to try out this wonderful camera.

Now not really worth it to buy the 550D from B&S given the low street price for the body now. Might as well go for a new one ;)

Now not really worth it to buy the 550D from B&S given the low street price for the body now. Might as well go for a new one ;)

I guess that the prices for a 550D from BnS will have to drop correspondingly.

just a question...what lens will you pair with the camera?

do you intend to get an external flash as well?

...I was thinking about getting 550D but the price range diff not really alot,so why not get 60D...

just a question...what lens will you pair with the camera?

do you intend to get an external flash as well?

judging from his reply up there i doubt he even aware or care about lens yet lol :bsmilie: in my opinion, TS better to start out with 18-55 kit and upgrade when he know's more about DSLR :D

I guess that the prices for a 550D from BnS will have to drop correspondingly.

not now obviously, someone still selling it for $1000 (FIXED) for their 6 months old 550D without memory card, bag and all the canon freebies if you buy new one

it's just a ripoff

BnS sellers of 550D body will have to price their second hand copy at around $800 (with remaining warranty left) to really catch attention.

If they sell at 1K or even $900, I think very hard to get rid...

$1012 is the cheapest for 550d body ?

Brand new Canon EOS 550D: DD Electronics selling at S$1,055 (nett before 2% cash payment discount) or package with EF-S 15-85mm IS USM Lens at $1,994 (nett before 2% cash payment discount).

And Brand new Canon EOS 60D with 15-85mm IS USM S$2,371 (Nett before 2% cash payment discount) while body alone is S$1,379 (nett before 2% cash discount).

Btw...I don't work for them but just want to share of an alternative place to get very competitive gears (parallel importer so warranty rest with them, not Canon which is fine with me with big discounts).

Last edited:
Brand new Canon EOS 550D: DD Electronics selling at S$1,055 (nett before 2% cash payment discount) or package with EF-S 15-85mm IS USM Lens at $1,994 (nett before 2% cash payment discount).

And Brand new Canon EOS 60D with 15-85mm IS USM S$2,371 (Nett before 2% cash payment discount) while body alone is S$1,379 (nett before 2% cash discount).

Btw...I don't work for them but just want to share of an alternative place to get very competitive gears (parallel importer so warranty rest with them, not Canon which is fine with me with big discounts).

The price is not that far apart. I say go for the 60D.