550 D or 60 D

550d don't have meh? What's the difference?

60D's body is supposedly better built than the 550D, but from what I heard, the 60D is nowhere as sturdy as the 50D due to a different material used.

just because it is made of plastic doesnt mean it is less well-built then the 50D.

the 60D is probably better weather sealed then the 50D is, and hence 60D could be argued to be more reliable then the 50D.

just because it is made of plastic doesnt mean it is less well-built then the 50D.

the 60D is probably better weather sealed then the 50D is, and hence 60D could be argued to be more reliable then the 50D.

Well said :thumbsup:

60D is a really solid camera. It is so solid that I am about to change the EF-S lens to EF L lenses to benefit from the excellent built and weather sealed body. Having used it for about 2 months, I seriously don't understand why people call this body "plastic". Maybe there is something wrong with my sense of touch.

Oh, by the way, I came from 550D. That is really plastic ;)

Well said :thumbsup:

60D is a really solid camera. It is so solid that I am about to change the EF-S lens to EF L lenses to benefit from the excellent built and weather sealed body. Having used it for about 2 months, I seriously don't understand why people call this body "plastic". Maybe there is something wrong with my sense of touch.

According to reviews it does not have a metal body. Just so happens it has a plastic body shell :dunno:

According to reviews it does not have a metal body. Just so happens it has a plastic body shell :dunno:

no one is saying it is not made of plastic. just that just becasue it is plastic doesnt mean it is less robust. in fact it has better weather seals.

if u have the money always goes for the better one..

I think that the YouTube video created by DigitalRev TV busted the myth that plastic was inferior. It clearly shows that a plastic body can withstand a huge amount of punishment.

This experiment shows the torture of two different cameras.... one Nikon and the other Canon. The Canon is represented by the all-plastic 400D and the Nikon is represented by the equally plastic D70.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1tTBncIsm8

Don't try this at home. :nono:

For non professionals like a lot of DSLR owners are these days, why the need for weather seal? Do you insist on shooting in heavy rain or u plan to submerge your camera in water ?

For non professionals like a lot of DSLR owners are these days, why the need for weather seal? Do you insist on shooting in heavy rain or u plan to submerge your camera in water ?

To add on, having metal or plastic body wont make a difference when then camera drops on the ground. Many would argue plastic will crack while metal will only dent or scratch. Seriously its the internal components that will take the damage whatever the outer shell is made of. No matter what body, dropping the camera is bad enough even for the top end 1d
/1ds.

Furthermore on longer usage, plastic tends to retain the original looks while magnesium will tends to have paint peeling off.

Anyway, best is to test them out at vivocity. I initially also wanted 7D but after testing for 5mins, my wrist almost came apart from the weight. Hence weight does plays a part. No doubt 550D is the lightest Canon dslr now but in terms of built quality, 60D is really worth the extra $230.

Hmm why is it extra $230?

The 550D with kit I is 1199 while 60D is around 1499?
Isn't that 300 bucks?
I don't know but IMO with that money i would rather get 550D body and topup another 100+ for Tamron 17-50mm.
Don't quite like the buttons on the 60D as well.

Of course don't need, but it is good to have. Imagine yourself at Marina Barage or Sungei Buloh wetland reserve. If the rain come suddenly, you may not be able to find shelter easily. Even if you find one, the rain may splash on the camera due to strong wind.

60D grey set - $1270
550D grey set - $1030

Hence the $230 (or rather $240) difference.

550D grey sets should cost less than that. When I bought my 550D in October, two of the quotes I received (I purchased from one of them) were $1018 for the body alone with local warranty.

60D grey set - $1270
550D grey set - $1030

I see i see.
Thanks for the price of the 2.

Are they for body alone or kit? Because i believe if it is body alone, 550D can be lower. Not really sure about that but 550D local set body alone also 1030 there about.

I tend to incline to agree 60D may be worth the few hundreds on top of the 550D. I feel a good body lasts a long time whereas there are always more choices for lenses. I'm not sure but do you change and experiment with lenses more often or do you switch camera bodies more? Grip with 60D is better and solid whereas I had to strain my fingers with 550D. I'm a 550D user by the way. But the 550D is a very good camera already. You really won't be complaining about it if you are not a demanding professional who photographs for a living.

And austinheight, about the Marina Barrage scenario, first and foremost, I'll always have a camera bag or backpack with me. :)

60D grey set - $1270
550D grey set - $1030

the grey set in ddelectronic for Canon Kiss X4 is $872 now cash payment..
here
while 60D is $1274 after 2% cash payment discount = $1248.5
so difference 1248.5 - 872 = 376.5