50mm = portrait lens??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bokeh1.8

Jul 6, 2006
50mm f1.8 is a cheap lens to start with.. being a college student like me, I dun have money to buy more 'dua-dua-jia' lenses :( but I love to shoot portraits though. would that make a good portrait lens? as the bokeh is quite good leh - oops advertised myself liaoz.. hope that yu guys can help me on this. as now I am considering to buy an EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III.. or should I buy others? please give me some guidance on this. thanks guys.

YES YES YES. Use it! It's the ultimate $135 lens Canon ever built, can be used for a very wide range of purposes, including super low light photography!!! Use it!!

50mm= Standard lens, not portrait lens.
But it can be used as a portrait lens.
Since you are a fan of bokeh, do take note that the bokeh from the 50f1.8 is not nice.due to the 5 blade apperture diaphragm, the bokeh will be choppy.
all above said, the 50f1.8 is a good value for money lens.Definitely worth the buy.

I would recommend the 50mmf1.4, or the 24-70sigma , 28-75 tamron.:)

I use this lens for portrait and close-ups (when coupled with close-up filters) and the results are very gd for portraiture. During event shoots such as motorshows or PC shows, i dun have to use flash to take the models.

Usually a 85mm lens on a full frame SLR/DSLR is said to be a portrait lens. But if u're using a 1.6x DSLR like myself, 50mm x 1.6 = 80mm, which is close to 85mm.

heh, its a crime if you have a canon and dont have this lens (unless u got the 50 1.0 or 1.4, in which case i forgive u). i use it for portraits, and low light shooting. sharp, good colours. bokeh is perhaps not the best, but u do get a lot of it. and for those outside the photograph world..really, who can tell what is good or bad bokeh?

Its the one reccommened lens that i havent bought yet as i jumped striaght to my 70-200f/4 after 6 months of consieration and saving..

cheap and excellent quality. Can't ask for more for its price level :thumbsup:

thanks for all of your help!! now I know "myself" better. :bsmilie: btw, what is a close up filter? and how do you tell from a good bokeh and a bad one?? thanks in advance!!

regards,
bokeh1.8

bokeh1.8 said:
thanks for all of your help!! now I know "myself" better. :bsmilie: btw, what is a close up filter? and how do you tell from a good bokeh and a bad one?? thanks in advance!!

regards,
bokeh1.8

A close up filter is like a magnifying glass for your lens, it just magnifies the image to make it look bigger. I stacked two +4 close up filters to my 50mm and this gives very gd close ups but it degrades the quality a bit. So do take note that it's not the same as a macro lens.

A gd bokeh have a very nice n smooth background blur effect. Usually a lens with more diaphragm blades (or aperture blades) will give better background blurring effect.

portrait lens are normally 85mm.... however please note when using a Canon DSLR, there's a crop factor of 1.6, thus the 50mm is normally used instead. (50 x 1.6 = 80mm)

Cheers!

Yes, definely worth the buy. I would say best value for money lens.
Also , if you can, stay away from the 75-300mm f4-5.6 III. I would say the Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 APO DG is a much better investment:thumbsup: . I would have bought it if not for the fact that I got hold of the the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L.

NE clicks clicks said:
Yes, definely worth the buy. I would say best value for money lens.
Also , if you can, stay away from the 75-300mm f4-5.6 III. I would say the Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 APO DG is a much better investment:thumbsup: . I would have bought it if not for the fact that I got hold of the the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L.

Actually the USM version is a little better. I won't buy either lens cos it's not internal focusing.

bokeh1.8 said:
50mm f1.8 is a cheap lens to start with.. being a college student like me, I dun have money to buy more 'dua-dua-jia' lenses :( but I love to shoot portraits though. would that make a good portrait lens? as the bokeh is quite good leh - oops advertised myself liaoz.. hope that yu guys can help me on this. as now I am considering to buy an EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III.. or should I buy others? please give me some guidance on this. thanks guys.
If you going for portraiture, this lens is a MUST. I'll tell you why...Since you're a college student, and budget may be an issue, there are no more suitable portrait lens as this one in terms of pricing, quality and weight. It's cheap, it's light and quality is 'tok gong'! Of course you can't compare bokehs with the 85mm or the 1.4 version lah...'1 cent 1 goods' mah...but with the price you're paying...definitely worth it.

For portrait get a telephoto zoom lens. The blurred background and compressed perspective makes the portrait look better. Also you dont have to ditch the zoom when you go full frame later.
http://singaporephoto.blogspot.com

honda said:
For portrait get a telephoto zoom lens. The blurred background and compressed perspective makes the portrait look better. Also you dont have to ditch the zoom when you go full frame later.
http://singaporephoto.blogspot.com
depends on where the shoot is. if it's in studio, get the 50mm f1.8

Snoweagle said:
Actually the USM version is a little better. I won't buy either lens cos it's not internal focusing.

what is internal focusing? may I ask :dunno:

bokeh1.8 said:
what is internal focusing? may I ask :dunno:

Internal focusing means that the focusing element is contained within the lens itself therefore the fornt element will not rotate making the use of a circular poalriser easier (or in the case of the 70-200 the zooming is internal too so less air movement therefore less chance of dust getting sucked in)

so.. internal focusing lenses are also more expensive is it?? :bigeyes: then what portrait lens do you recommend?? (those non L- series one lah..) ha ha thanks for your help, snoweagle!!

i think the answer is ther already. u are on a budget, just get the 50 1.8. go and look at some shots taken with this lens on the net. it really is great.

how it focuses, is not so important for portrait shots. and if you gettired of it, u can sell it and not really lose much money.

Status
Not open for further replies.