50mm f/1.8

hey guys i heard this lens with a extension tube is a good alternative to a macro lens. which brand and model of extension tubes do you all recommend?

noobzpro said:
hey guys i heard this lens with a extension tube is a good alternative to a macro lens. which brand and model of extension tubes do you all recommend?

U can try those sold in 3 pieces and kenko is one of them. Else u can try close up filters as an alternative.

50mm is mostly for portrait or street shoot??

i went to vivo to test out the lens liao...

i am now more sided to F1.8

when it's AF, both is ard the same speed. the only diff is the sound lo... and the built... no point spending another 400 for better built and better sound...

better built makes sense. try do manual focus on this f1.8, u will vomit blood.

I have tried this lens for a long time ago.
The lens is perfect for shooting portraits and close-up shoots 500mm - 2m range.
The worst thing i have experience using this lens was, when u dropped it, surely AF will be not working anymore.
And another weird thing happen was when i used it with my canon 40D which i have set my camera aperture to f22 *heared the sound like exploded internally near the shutter button resulting to damage my 40d. The lens working perfectly Which i have try to test with other camera. From now on, i never used this lens with aperture f15 and above. Usually i used kit lens to check my camera sensor from dust which can go higher to f30.

better built makes sense. try do manual focus on this f1.8, u will vomit blood.

:thumbsup: :bsmilie:

My verdict:

On crop: Barely make it 5/10. I personally find the pictures look abit strange. Don't know how to describe it. Can someone help me here???
On Full frame: Nice sharp pictures, but bokeh not as good compared to other portrait lenses. 6.5/10

The exact same lens was used on either format. This is my personal experience. If you have used it on both format before, you will understand what I mean.

That said, if on budget, I do not think there is any other lens that can match it in value. So in terms of value, 10/10 :)

If i were u, i'd stop down to f/5.6 or f/8. Just point and shoot and also depends on whether u're on FF or crop.

I'm using crop camera, still find it challenging using it for landscape.

Why don't you consider Tamron 17-50 f2.8 instead?

costs reasons. i have a budget of 500

SkyStrike said:
that explains...The 17-50 non VC is ~$7XX, you may want to consider saving up abit before getting.

A new 17-50 non vc local set is $600.