50mm F/1.8 Lens

eycoW

Apr 7, 2009
Is this worth the money? Is only selling at around $100 +/-

Actually am looking for something to go along with my 18-55mm. budget to be $300 and below.

Last edited:
Sell ur kit lens and together with $300 you might be able to find a second hand tamron 17-50 non vc? There are alot of happy users out there for this lens.

You might as well keep it. You never know when you need it.

Sell ur kit lens and together with $300 you might be able to find a second hand tamron 17-50 non vc? There are alot of happy users out there for this lens.

what is non vc?

yea. am keeping.

Just thought of buying 1 more lens, and heard quite alot of good things bout 50mm F/1.8. So am asking around looking for advice.

Seems like you are not well inform abt the diff between prime and zoom lens?

Seems like you are not well inform abt the diff between prime and zoom lens?

what do you mean?

am buying an additional lens now. okay, pardon my 1st post. i mean i'm gonna buy 1 prime lens to go with my zoom lens. yup.

Ok then, I say go for it. It's only 100+ bucks, if you dun like it you can just offload it. I'm sure hordes of pple will grab it!

yea. am keeping.

Just thought of buying 1 more lens, and heard quite alot of good things bout 50mm F/1.8. So am asking around looking for advice.

50mm 1.8 excellent bang for buck. Best $100 you'll spend, if you are familiar with the prime FOV. Zoom with your feet.

Cons; light and plasticy feel.

50mm 1.8 excellent bang for buck. Best $100 you'll spend, if you are familiar with the prime FOV. Zoom with your feet.

lol zoom with your feet. nice one.

You can get the Tamron 17-50 Non VC as what gundamseed84 mention.
Personally using both the 50mm F1.8 and Tamron 17-50 Non VC and both give me good pictures.
For that $100, its really worth it for such a cheap and yet good prime lens. :)

I really recommend this lens . .. . .really nice for portraits and people shots at wide aperture.

It's not fast / accurate focussing though, so no replacement for your zoom lens, but for the money it is amazing.

Very small and neat too, I often just slip it into my fiancés handbag when I am carrying my camera in case it's needed.

hate the 50mm 1.8 coz of the build quality. bokeh wise its value for money. but personally 50mm is too tight for me to use.

Is this worth the money? Is only selling at around $100 +/-

Actually am looking for something to go along with my 18-55mm. budget to be $300 and below.

TS, I found it interesting you advised someone about the difference between 50mm and 18-55mm and claimed you best answered his question, and in another thread you're asking about the same lens you've mentioned in your answer.

But to answer your question, which is a reiterate of my answer to the other TS's question, I found uses for both lenses. You can get the prime lens 50mm for as low as $128. The prime lens 50mm is not just for good bokeh as you mentioned in another thread (which I presumed u had a typo where u typed 55mm which I assumed u meant 50mm), this lens can be used when lighting is low or you want sharper image than the same 50mm from the 18-55mm lens.

You can use the 50mm outdoor also, I do used it even for my night shot. But mostly, I use it at home. Some may think its redundant, but I think you can go down to a shop with your camera and try it on. It may help your decision than hearing from different people who use the lens differently.

50/1.8(~$100) or 200/2 IS(~$6k)... worth it if you need it, useless if you dont...

One more con: The QUALITY of the bokeh is harsh due to having only 5 aperture blades.

Why is being light a con? :dunno:

One more con: The QUALITY of the bokeh is harsh due to having only 5 aperture blades.

I would say the 50 f/1.8 II is a value for money lens. Cheap and performs relatively well in low light environment. Of course bokeh is not as creamy as that produced by the 50 f/1.2 L, but then again you only get what you pay for isn't it? :)

Why is being light a con? :dunno:

I would say the 50 f/1.8 II is a value for money lens. Cheap and performs relatively well in low light environment. Of course bokeh is not as creamy as that produced by the 50 f/1.2 L, but then again you only get what you pay for isn't it? :)

:thumbsup:
At $120, this is the BEST VALUE for MONEY lens from Canon. Buy it, try for different shootings .. very likely that you will find many usage... if you do not like any of the usage... sell it an BNS at $10-15 discount.

Do you think $10-15 is worth to try this lens? If you still have doubt then don't buy. Put it very simple.. it's a decision of $10-15