50mm- aperture ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanlim

Oct 28, 2005
NEL
Hi guys...firstly, happy new year 2006.
i just got a 50mm prime (1.8) last year...but am unsure how to use it.
my aperture ring has to be locked at "22" if lowered, my camera is unable to take any pictures.i see the words"fEE" appearing on my cam....any idea why?
i read from some where that the changing of aperture on new lens has to be from the dslr itself and not on the lens....

seanlim said:
my aperture ring has to be locked at "22" if lowered, my camera is unable to take any pictures.i see the words"fEE" appearing on my cam....any idea why?
i read from some where that the changing of aperture on new lens has to be from the dslr itself and not on the lens....

For most of the slr camera with autofocus has to change the aperture setting from the camera itself, you do so mostly by adjusting a dial on the slr body, the aperture ring on the lense has to be set to the minimum setting, this has mostly due to the construction of the dslr aperture prong, it has to work with the spring on the lense to spring return it back to minimum setting. So inorder to use the lense on the DSLR body always turn it to the smallest aperture or in your case is f22 then you will be able to set the aperture setting through the camera dial.

Hope this helps.

seanlim said:

Yap, you need to lock the aperature ring at the smallest aperature and you need to use the dial (or sub-command dial for D70/70s) to change the aperature.

I think the aperature ring is more for SLR with manual focus.

oh..thanks guys..still thought something wrong with lens..heehee;)

Francis247 said:
Yap, you need to lock the aperature ring at the smallest aperature and you need to use the dial (or sub-command dial for D70/70s) to change the aperature.

I think the aperature ring is more for SLR with manual focus.
Len with a aperature ring is design for using on older SLR, AF camera like F4, F90X etc, of couse also usable on MF cameras like F3, FM2, FM3A etc, modern SLR and DSLR are using cub command dial to set aperature, so has to be disable the function of apreture ring by locking it at min f-stop, if the lens is not a G lens (with aperature ring).

catchlights said:
Len with a aperature ring is design for using on older SLR, AF camera like F4, F90X etc, of couse also usable on MF cameras like F3, FM2, FM3A etc, modern SLR and DSLR are using cub command dial to set aperature, so has to be disable the function of apreture ring by locking it at min f-stop, if the lens is not a G lens (with aperature ring).

Hi catchlights,

Thanks for clarifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.