50D or 40D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 40D and 50D are really close in terms of specs.If $ is not a limiting factor, get the 50D for the bigger and better LCD.For most people who have budget constraints, get the 40D and use the remaining $ to buy good lenses.I hate to see people cheap out on lenses after they buy a 1D

the 50D LCD is better, but not bigger ... same 3"

50D no doubt is technologically better than 40D, but that does not mean 40D is an inferior camera. Just that it does not worth to pay so much for the little improvements.

Just my 2c.

I make my decision on 50D,i dun do peep pixer on noise,most important is the AF , more accurate & fast when lock onto subject in difficult lighting condition, higher keeping rate on most shot .No regret, im coming from 20D thou. :)

I make my decision on 50D,i dun do peep pixer on noise,most important is the AF , more accurate & fast when lock onto subject in difficult lighting condition, higher keeping rate on most shot .No regret, im coming from 20D thou. :)

hmm, is AF speed/accuracy dependent on your camera body? i thought it was suppose to be dependent on the lens u use?

hi TS, someone started a thread/poll comparing 40D vs 50D last yr... maybe you want to take a look, got lots of comments. i was asking same question a few months ago in the end went for 40D didnt regret except wonder about the AF microadjustments. don't care much about the extra pixels or the LCD screen. and the DIGIC IV processor thing i heard just marketing gimmick. rumour is the interval between 40D and 50D is not that long, so likely the research didn't achieve anything earth-shattering.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421060&

hi Peter Petrelli, ya there is a world of difference between XXXD and XXD imho. just look at the difference in noise level at iso800 and you can tell. also the faster and smarter AF system, less hunting and generally more accurate, the higher fps, (more) silent shutter, etc.

Thank you all for all the comments...in the end i got the 50D. Hahas, no offence, but like that comment about if FF is not your plan, then go for 50D. And as im only 14 now(bdae today hehes), i dont think ill be looking for a FF for many many more years to come? 50D is an upgrade from my olympus e-410(discontinued model hahas)

Thank you all for all the comments...in the end i got the 50D. Hahas, no offence, but like that comment about if FF is not your plan, then go for 50D. And as im only 14 now(bdae today hehes), i dont think ill be looking for a FF for many many more years to come? 50D is an upgrade from my olympus e-410(discontinued model hahas)

:bigeyes: Wah RICH! lol. Congrats on your new purchase though! =)

you gotta admit, some people have it better than others.

hmm, is AF speed/accuracy dependent on your camera body? i thought it was suppose to be dependent on the lens u use?

Guess where the AF sensors are located? Guess where the commands come from that tell the lens to rotate the focus ring by x.x degrees? It needs 2 hands to clap: body and lens. No point having fast USM if the commands given are wrong.

I think if you have large budget then go for 50D, if not then 40D. Save up the molah for better lens.
The more megapixels, higher resolution LCD screen and the AF micro adjustment is the main improvement on the 50D over 40D. Else 40D is one of the best value camera IMO.

I'm using for it coming to a year, loving it. Nothing much to complain, but just hate the low res LCD display. Sometimes is a pain to check image sharpness.

14!!! 50D!!!

:sweat:
Give 'em a good headstart, so that by the time they're 16 they can have enuff strenght to lug around that 50D and 70-200 f2.8L IS. :sweatsm:

Indeed. When I was 14 I only had a crappy Kodak film PnS wif fixed focus lens. :bsmilie:

Guess where the AF sensors are located? Guess where the commands come from that tell the lens to rotate the focus ring by x.x degrees? It needs 2 hands to clap: body and lens. No point having fast USM if the commands given are wrong.

thanks, but your asking me to guess so much without giving a helpful answer. yes the body commands the lens to clap, but does a 50D make the AF speed and accuracy faster than a 40D? that's my question ...

Give 'em a good headstart, so that by the time they're 16 they can have enuff strenght to lug around that 50D and 70-200 f2.8L IS. :sweatsm:

Indeed. When I was 14 I only had a crappy Kodak film PnS wif fixed focus lens. :bsmilie:

haha or maybe when they are 18 they have backache / handache from carrying 50D and gotta downgrade in army?

I had one of those mini film cameras that was more a toy than a camera.. hahah damn.. i wished i kept that as a momento...

thanks, but your asking me to guess so much without giving a helpful answer. yes the body commands the lens to clap, but does a 50D make the AF speed and accuracy faster than a 40D? that's my question ...

I gave you a few hints. The knowledge acquired by own research is best.
According the specs given at dpreview for 50D there is no difference in the AF system compared to 40D, both cameras feature:
• 9-point TTL CMOS sensor
• All points cross-type for lenses of F5.6 or faster
• Center point additionally sensitive with lenses of F2.8 or faster
• AF working range: -0.5 - 18 EV (at 23°C, ISO 100)
Also, there is no remark that these features have been changed / improved compared to 40D. Which means, using the same lens on both cameras under the same conditions will very likely result in the same focusing speed and accuracy (provided there is no other factor interfering here).

I gave you a few hints. The knowledge acquired by own research is best.
According the specs given at dpreview for 50D there is no difference in the AF system compared to 40D, both cameras feature:
Also, there is no remark that these features have been changed / improved compared to 40D. Which means, using the same lens on both cameras under the same conditions will very likely result in the same focusing speed and accuracy (provided there is no other factor interfering here).

ah great ... thanks!

It's like when I was using a 300D, then now I'm using a 500D. The focusing speed is noticeably different even when using the same lens. The body definitely drives part of the focusing since it's the same lens (55-200 USM).

It's like when I was using a 300D, then now I'm using a 500D. The focusing speed is noticeably different even when using the same lens. The body definitely drives part of the focusing since it's the same lens (55-200 USM).

yeah..i noticed that too..or maybe it is just me..;p (used the 40D and now the 50D on the same lens)

Congrats on your 50D and your birthday.

Did you get a kit lens with it?

Hahas, lets just say my parents are very supportive of my hooby. My dad did photography and my mum likes taking photos. Ive been going at photography since i was 12 hahas? Not long lahs.

Status
Not open for further replies.