500D - Which Lens Should I Buy

Agrees a kit is a great starter lens, use the kit first and after which TS can proceed onto other lens.

Just a suggestion to TS, he can just get a body first and lens he can get the kit in B&S section if he wish to.

Last edited:
I'm not sure as to how much 550D would cost.

hmmm... US is selling 550D at USD899 (1270SGD) bundled with the 18-55 kit lens. So prob SG price should be somewhere near there i guess :)

Dont buy from the IT show, youll kinda get ripped off, i would suggest the tamron 17-50 non VC + the 500D body which would nicely fit into your budget.

AFAIK, no. Same aperture means same aperture. I would recommend getting the body and the tamron 17-50 non-vc too. It fits your budget just right. This tamron has nearly everything your kit lens has plus much larger constant aperture and tack sharp image quality

Hi hetfieldpaul and soundaholic

Simliar to TS i too am looking for a DSLR at the same budget and requirments.Just wondering how better is 17~50 non VC tamron compared to 18~55 IS.It seems smaller range also.

I was initially comparing nikon d90 18~105 vr (selling $1600 ++)

Ho much is the tamron lens?

Hi hetfieldpaul and soundaholic

Simliar to TS i too am looking for a DSLR at the same budget and requirments.Just wondering how better is 17~50 non VC tamron compared to 18~55 IS.It seems smaller range also.

I was initially comparing nikon d90 18~105 vr (selling $1600 ++)

Ho much is the tamron lens?

Its around $620ish in Singapore.

The image quality is similar but having used both I have to say I like the Tamron more. And f/2.8 is just fantastic, I'm almost always on f/2.8 for my walkabouts.

hmmm... US is selling 550D at USD899 (1270SGD) bundled with the 18-55 kit lens. So prob SG price should be somewhere near there i guess :)

waahaha. I really hope shops here will sell 550D around that amount!!

guys, this is his first purchase... why only intro him body and lens?

dry cabinet is equally important!

TS, u better set aside $118 from your budget for a 36L dry cabinet.

guys, this is his first purchase... why only intro him body and lens?

dry cabinet is equally important!

TS, u better set aside $118 from your budget for a 36L dry cabinet.

honestly speaking, it's a expensive hobby and the buying is never ending. But get the important stuffs first. For eg the dry cabinet mentioned here, you will also need to get CPL,filters, flashlight etc.

Actually the 18-55mm IS worth less than $100 as many pple are offloading their kit. I wouldnt be surprise that you will be stuck with your kit lens if you are selling @ $120 and above.

Well. If the kit costs $1100 with lens and $1000 without, then you are getting the kit lens for $100.

For starters, even if you got none of it back you're still getting good value compared with almost any other lens out there. You get to use a lens with a good range of focal lengths, with quality and attributes that are perfectly alright for someone starting out.

Let's say a year down the road you decide to upgrade, or give up photography. Yes maybe you can't sell it for $120. (if you ever could then there are a lot of silly buyers out there - and also another point, some people clearly think it's worth paying $120 for a second hand version for this so why shouldn't you pay $100 for a new one?)

But is it the biggest disaster in the world if you don't get $100 for it? Even if you only got $50 for it you'd still only lose $50 for the privilege of using it for a year. That's absolutely nothing.

Sometimes, and I am not referring to anything within this thread specifically, but I do wonder about the photographic culture in Singapore. Buy very expensive stuff and expect to sell for silly high prices - get real people.

Buy your stuff to use it, not to worry about whether it's still shiny enough at the end of the 2 years you've had it so you can try and get 95% back of what you paid for it new.

I'm not sure as to how much 550D would cost.

Point taken and highly appreciated sir!

Sirs, do you have any idea whether it would be cheaper in the IT show?

remember one point: IT show NEVER EVER offer cheaper price for any IT product. Most of the time is giving more free gift. If the product is hot selling they won't bother to give you any discount since they had limited stock or just want to earn the margin. Those who have hourly price drop are just a commercial effect.

get CPL,filters, flashlight etc.

this is not important yet.

for filters, just get UV filters to protect your lens. Learn your basics first before going to CPL and ND filters.

As for flash, i think for a beginner, not very important yet cos chances of the flash becoming a white elephant very high.

Think most importantly for now is a dry cabinet to store the equipments. And UV filters to protect the lens.

:)

honestly speaking, it's a expensive hobby and the buying is never ending. But get the important stuffs first. For eg the dry cabinet mentioned here, you will also need to get CPL,filters, flashlight etc.

haha. remind me when i just get my 1st DSLR(1000D) and upgrade to 500D within 3 mth time. Bought 270EX n upgrade to Nissin DI622.

TS. get the body and kit lens. looking for best offer like extra SD card/battery. package should include bag and a cheapo tripod.

There will be your starting point, slowly you will know what is your style of shooting and you will have a direction to upgrade.

i got my dry BOX after 5 mth in DSLR road. haha. i know alot of people would say y don get a dry cabin? cos i only hav body, kit, a prime lens. and in the future i will only get myself the most 2 more lens and the dry box is just nice to fit those thing in.

This hobby is expensive. at the end of the road, this is still a hobby that make ur days happier or keep you busy when u bored. so its totally depends to individual how much you like to spend here. just like some other RICH guy take collection of Classic car as hobby.

Dont buy from the IT show, youll kinda get ripped off, i would suggest the tamron 17-50 non VC + the 500D body which would nicely fit into your budget.

I second that suggestion. :thumbsup:
500D body + Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non VC should cost around $1500.
Maybe you can wait a while if you have the patience, because with the upcoming 550D launch, 500D should sell cheaper...:lovegrin:

Last edited:
i got my dry BOX after 5 mth in DSLR road. haha. i know alot of people would say y don get a dry cabin? cos i only hav body, kit, a prime lens. and in the future i will only get myself the most 2 more lens and the dry box is just nice to fit those thing in.

Thats often a wrong thinking. Dry box is tedious. You need to keep track of the humidity level, go through the trouble to replace silica gels etc. And it is still not as accurate and safe as a dry cabinet.

Less equipments , no money , no space in room/hse = craps to me.

I also started with a 450D with 18-200mm and the dry cabinet only cost me $108 (bought from paris silk) and it doesn't takes much space in my room.

got so much money to buy so many camera stuffs but scrimp on dry cabinet? thats plain stupidity when you expose your expensive equipments to fungus! :bsmilie:

Rem, price dun drop so much for dry cabinet, but lens and flash price do drops when new models comes out. Its better to wait for a better price then buy the lens and flash u want then to spent it first then end up no $$ for a dry cabinet.

Weigh the pros and cons.

remember one point: IT show NEVER EVER offer cheaper price for any IT product. Most of the time is giving more free gift. If the product is hot selling they won't bother to give you any discount since they had limited stock or just want to earn the margin. Those who have hourly price drop are just a commercial effect.

I 2nd tat