50 1.8 for Food Photography

TBing

Feb 10, 2011
Is 50 1.8 sufficient for food photography?

crop body

MFD is too long.

the 18-55 can do better.

Must see what kind of food photos are you taking. If whole plate of food, wide angle is better. I do use my 50mm on my 1.6x body for small cake and and close up on food. Hope this help...;)

I've a close friend who does food-blogging (doing okay, roughly 150hits~ a day)
using a nikon crop D60 with 50mm f1.8.
sometimes he find shooting wide open at 1.8 too bokehish.
he can't capture the entire dish (and perhaps only focus on a slice of meat in the dish)
besides the prime, he frequently use the nikon D60 kit lens as well.
also has a 70-300 (doesn use it for food though)

do check out his foodblog and see if what he shoots are simliar to what you want.
http://memoirsoffood.blogspot.com/

Food photography so I assume you have the space around you to work with (display food, etc?) then 50mm f1.8 is sufficient.

Too tight? Move back. Too far move closer. Close shot? Consider adding extension tubes to go nearer.

Not enough dof? Stop down aperture. If you have owned this lens then I say give it a try first. Otherwise consider getting a cheap and good 2nd hand copy to reduce the damage taken.

If it is just go have a meal and want to shoot the food without moving about then maybe you can try shorter focal length.

I'm not sure if Funan Challenger still has this offer but the 50 F1/8 they were selling for $99 only. It's a cheap lens so it's always good to buy and keep..you never know when you'll need it. It's also so light to bring out you don't even know it's in the bag…i dun use it often but it's good know you have it somewhere if and when you want to play with it :) For $100…why not right?

you can if you want to lean backwards whenever you want to take a picture. :sweatsm: I do that sometimes but I fear I might fall off the chair sometimes. never mind the strange looks from the surrounding tables. :bsmilie:

I'm not sure if Funan Challenger still has this offer but the 50 F1/8 they were selling for $99 only. It's a cheap lens so it's always good to buy and keep..you never know when you'll need it. It's also so light to bring out you don't even know it's in the bag…i dun use it often but it's good know you have it somewhere if and when you want to play with it :) For $100…why not right?

mmhmm if I'm not wrong the promotion is over. :sweatsm:

Any lens will be sufficient for CASUAL food photography, so yeah 50 f1.8 is good enough. If you start getting serious on this genre though, you will find find out the limitations of the 50 f1.8, and would want to upgrade.