50/1.4 more useful than 24-70/2.8L?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkw

Dec 10, 2003
CCK
Visit site
I must say, I never thought I could become a prime user. Ever since I got my 50/1.4, my 24-70 has stayed mostly in the dry cabinet. It's so nice and light, and sitting on the 300D, makes a wonderfully compact combination for visiting friends and relatives, and taking indoor shots. The fact that it is 2 stops faster is a real plus. Find that I don't miss the zoom about 80% of the time, feet zoom is fine for getting close, but wide end can be a problem. All things considered, the 24-70 may need a new home soon!

Anybody else got a similar experience?

i have a 50mm and with FLM of 1.6, i find it difficult to shoot indoors (say flats). I really find it too long.. The weight is nice though..

how much you wanna sell your 24-70?

oops yes the 50 1.4! always mounted on one of my body. the bokeh, not as creamy as 85 1.2L has a rather nice texture to it as well. My only gripe with this is it focuses rather slow for a USM lens.

I don't have the 24-70 canon zoom, only the much cheaper Sigma one, with the EOS30. But yes when I got my 50mm F1.4, I used that lens so much more because of its weight and brightness. Still don't think I'll give up the zoom though, coz I still find that the wide & telephoto ends of the zoom gets me shoots that I couldn't otherwise get with the prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.