4R photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesmun18

Dec 20, 2005
By using 10MP files and 6MP files to print 4R, is that any different between them? :dunno:

By using 10MP files and 6MP files to print 4R, is that any different between them? :dunno:

To print photo quality (300 dpi) for 4R = ( 4" x 6" ) x 300
= 1200 x 1800
= 2160000
= 2.1 megapixel

So the only advantage of 10M over 6M is more space for cropping.

Second that.

On a separate note had a pretty bad experience with Soo Kee Color @ Clifford Centre.

Just wanted to print a few 4R pictures and was 'adviced' by the counter staff to print it in 'Digi-4R', otherwise the picture will be cropped.

I was then shown a portrait picture printed in 'Digi-4R' (what the heck is this format???) and a picture (same size as that in the Digi-4R format) in 4R. A bit of the hair was lopped off in the 4R picture.

Going by this logic, I might as well show my customers the same portrait picture in S8R and warn them that if the picture is not printed in S8R size but in 4R, you'll only get the nose and the mouth...

Second that.

On a separate note had a pretty bad experience with Soo Kee Color @ Clifford Centre.

Just wanted to print a few 4R pictures and was 'adviced' by the counter staff to print it in 'Digi-4R', otherwise the picture will be cropped.

I was then shown a portrait picture printed in 'Digi-4R' (what the heck is this format???) and a picture (same size as that in the Digi-4R format) in 4R. A bit of the hair was lopped off in the 4R picture.

Going by this logic, I might as well show my customers the same portrait picture in S8R and warn them that if the picture is not printed in S8R size but in 4R, you'll only get the nose and the mouth...

I think it depends on the camera format... most P&S requires Digi-4R whereby the width height ratios are different than that of conventional flim / DSLR... if not mistaken 4:3 vs. 3:2

Second that.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Second that.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :sweatsm:

Second that.

Digital-4R is 4:3 format - used by most point and shoot digicam.
4R / S8R is 3:2 - DSLR.

Hope that helps when you do yr next printing.

Second that.

what is the ratio (2:3 or 3:4) of the images you bring it to them?

Second that.

He is being kind. Digi-4R is for those camera not in 4:3 ratio such as PNS. For DSLR, 4R and s8R is the standard. If you are using 3:2 ratio cameras, and printing on normal 4R, you will have to sacrifice by cropping. Think the Digi-4R is quite newly introduced as my photos using PNS last time always kenna crop here and there when printing 4R.

He is being kind. Digi-4R is for those camera not in 4:3 ratio such as PNS. For DSLR, 4R and s8R is the standard. If you are using 3:2 ratio cameras, and printing on normal 4R, you will have to sacrifice by cropping. Think the Digi-4R is quite newly introduced as my photos using PNS last time always kenna crop here and there when printing 4R.

Shooting with an APS-C sized sensor DSLR (22.5mm x 15.0mm to be exact), so my photos are 3:2. Would they be able to discern this from EXIF data if available?

The sales staff made an assumption that the pictures are in 4:3. They shouldn't, as Digi-4R prints are more expensive if I'm not mistaken.

I don't think enquiring about the camera model that was used requires much effort on the part of the counter staff.

My rant against this colour lab is all due to this statement made: "You sure you one 4R ah... If head cropped off not my business ah!!!"

I think you got it the wrong way around...

DSLR = 3:2
4/3 and most pns = 4:3

4R = 3:2 (6" x 4")
digi 4R = 4:3 (?)

BC

Shooting with an APS-C sized sensor DSLR (22.5mm x 15.0mm to be exact), so my photos are 3:2. Would they be able to discern this from EXIF data if available?

The sales staff made an assumption that the pictures are in 4:3. They shouldn't, as Digi-4R prints are more expensive if I'm not mistaken.

I don't think enquiring about the camera model that was used requires much effort on the part of the counter staff.

My rant against this colour lab is all due to this statement made: "You sure you one 4R ah... If head cropped off not my business ah!!!"
you didn't make clear that what ratio of image files you send to the lab at your first post, so just let others make a wild guess out of it.
maybe the lab people also doing the same thing, making a wild guess first, if you would told her that your images is in 2:3 format, good for 4R, than that wouldn't have any miscommunication.

btw, not all lab people know other computer software beside the lab printing software, so don't expect people to check is the file size, image ratio right for print for every orders.

if you want top notch lab service, try pro labs.

I think you got it the wrong way around...

DSLR = 3:2
4/3 and most pns = 4:3

4R = 3:2 (6" x 4")
digi 4R = 4:3 (?)

BC

Sorry. You are right. I got it wrong. hehe. Paiseh for mis information.

Status
Not open for further replies.