430EXII vs 580EXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfred78

Mar 1, 2009
Hi guys,

just curious to find out what is the main differences in terms of performance and usability for these two speedlite as the price differ a lot... haha....

anyone can advise, which one is better for investment and more practical in long run?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

just curious to find out what is the main differences in terms of performance and usability for these two speedlite as the price differ a lot... haha....

anyone can advise, which one is better for investment and more practical in long run?

Many thanks in advance.

Got money, go for 580.

Hi guys,

Many thanks in advance.

Both are as reliable and perform up to their stated specs. The diff lies in

1)Power (58 v 43)

2)Swivel (580 can twist 180 deg left and right while 430 only in one direction)

3)580 can use as master, 430 can only be slave

If got money go for 580 lor. You can cut down the power easily but you can't amplify it if you don't have enough.

Someone told me that if getting the 430EXII flash, in future i might upgrade to 580EXII and i will have to waste $$ to get the 580EXII flash. If you intend to upgrade in future then go for 580EXII. The flash power is much more better than 430EXII in terms of control, settings and good thing is that 580EXII can be used as master or slave to other 580EXII. It can control 430EXII as well just that 430EXII can't use as a master. The flash recharge is also faster than 430EXII if you intend to shoot in the event it will be helpful otherwise you might have to wait for the flash to recharged

I have never use 430EXII before so i'm not sure how big is the difference between these 2 flash model and hope this little 1 cent advice helps =)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Really appreciated.;)

Someone told me that if getting the 430EXII flash, in future i might upgrade to 580EXII and i will have to waste $$ to get the 580EXII flash. If you intend to upgrade in future then go for 580EXII. The flash power is much more better than 430EXII in terms of control, settings and good thing is that 580EXII can be used as master or slave to other 580EXII. It can control 430EXII as well just that 430EXII can't use as a master. The flash recharge is also faster than 430EXII if you intend to shoot in the event it will be helpful otherwise you might have to wait for the flash to recharged

I have never use 430EXII before so i'm not sure how big is the difference between these 2 flash model and hope this little 1 cent advice helps =)

Not exactly true. Some people are happy with their 430EX speedlites and don't see a need to upgrade.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5147503#post5147503

"Then settle for 430EXII lor. It's the mid range from Canon and differs from the top range of 580EXII only in terms of power and capability of triggering another flash wirelessly - cost almost half of the latter too. It will do you enough justice for more occasions than you can think of. Many professionals have and use this too for their day to day job. See the thing in photography is, there's always a better equipment out there but you can choose to learn to make full use of what you have and from there as time goes by, you'll be able to know better what you're lacking of... will give you a better idea on what equipments is due for upgrade. The thing about flash is also, higher end models may help you to achieve better photos but that's only if you know how to manipulate it's basic function (i.e. bouncing light instead of direct etc).

So if you're looking for an affordable flash gun to start with, 430EXII should be it."

Status
Not open for further replies.