40th national birthday - does it mean anything to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
reachme2003 said:
every reason to be proudly standing tall? one needs a balanced view of life. one can't possibly mention the good things only and ignore the not-so-good things, right? there are two sides to a coin.

Yes, so why the cynicism? Where is your balance?

reachme2003 said:
i am one of them.

55% of landspace left? care to clarify?

What I mean is the Singapore map lah. ;) 55% still remain greenary at the moment. Don't know when will it be occupied by concrete structures?;p

dkw said:
If you can't bring yourself to love the country you belong to maybe you should take a look at yourself first before blaming the leaders.

Pertinent point.

Well....CS alone can be considered a microcosm of Singapore. You see whiners and complainers who only bitch about inadequacies and things that don't go right for them and yet never put themselves forward to help improve it.;)

Sometimes.....its the same people.:bsmilie:

I want to complain!!!
there isn't any "gov't sponsered" deco along the home stretch!!!!!! :sticktong

Hommie said:
Hard to separate them when they encompass everything in Singapore. In the mouth of Judge Dread, 'I AM THE LAW!'. In this case, ruling party is the country itself. That is in-separable....... ;p

Nope, they are still separate entities. The country comprises of the people, you, your family, Mr Raju next door and the neightbourhood samseng. The courts, the judiciary are still comprised of the people. The voters have the power to decide who rules and each will act according to his own self-interest.

The ability to distinguish and discern differences is what separates a man from the mob.:)

dkw said:
Yes, so why the cynicism? Where is your balance?
You my friend are the balance. :bsmilie:

Is that? Your world doesn't seem to encompass the opposite view is that? Heh....
Nope, they are still separate entities. The country comprises of the people, you, your family, Mr Raju next door and the neightbourhood samseng. The courts, the judiciary are still comprised of the people. The voters have the power to decide who rules and each will act according to his own self-interest.

The ability to distinguish and discern differences is what separates a man from the mob.

Zerstorer said:

The ability to distinguish and discern differences is what separates a man from the mob.:)
Let me see you fight a lawsuit against the garment and win to prove the system is separate. :)

Hommie said:
Is that? Your world doesn't seem to encompass the opposite view is that? Heh....

If one doesn't hold true to his own convictions, what is the point of debate? You are free to reassert your view, doubt anyone would stop you.:)

Please let mi remind all that this tread (the way I see the tread starter started it) is abt what the 40th National Day mean to you and not for a place to battle politics talks and such.

If this Tread is going to be a base for such Politics talks and such. It will as usual be closed.

And pls dun say that you have no right of freedom of speech things.

MOD
KOPITIAM.

Hommie said:
Let me see you fight a lawsuit against the garment and win to prove the system is separate. :)

It is separate, anything else is simply the act people like you and me acting in their perceived self-interest.

Zerstorer said:
Pertinent point.
Well....CS alone can be considered a microcosm of Singapore. You see whiners and complainers who only bitch about inadequacies and things that don't go right for them and yet never put themselves forward to help improve it.;)
Sometimes.....its the same people.:bsmilie:
Perhaps you have miss MM Lee's talk about having a maverick. Agreeing with the system constantly doesn't make it better.

That's what's wrong with the system, people who thinks that those who disagrees are against the country. :)

Zerstorer said:
It is separate, anything else is simply the act people like you and me acting in their perceived self-interest.
And the law on the interest of the Garment? Where is it separate in such?

Bluestrike said:
Please let mi remind all that this tread (the way I see the tread starter started it) is abt what the 40th National Day mean to you and not for a place to battle politics talks and such.

If this Tread is going to be a base for such Politics talks and such. It will as usual be closed.

And pls dun say that you have no right of freedom of speech things.

MOD
KOPITIAM.
I agree, let's close it. :)

Hommie said:
Perhaps you have miss MM Lee's talk about having a maverick. Agreeing with the system constantly doesn't make it better.

That's what's wrong with the system, people who thinks that those who disagrees are against the country. :)

Flawed assumption.

Loving the country doesn't mean agreeing with the system; Disliking the system should not affect your sentiment for your country.

I may not agree with the system in some ways, but I don't take it out on the whole country.

That has been my view and what I'm trying to put across. Discern the differences and do not lump everything into a clump. Personal bitterness should be put aside.

To put it another way...don't assume so much.:)

Zerstorer said:
Flawed assumption.

Loving the country doesn't mean agreeing with the system; Disliking the system should not affect your sentiment for your country.

I may not agree with the system in some ways, but I don't take it out on the whole country.

That has been my view and what I'm trying to put across. Discern the differences and do not lump everything into a clump. Personal bitterness should be put aside.

To put it another way...don't assume so much.:)
Assumption, assumption! Which point of time did I say I am against the country? But I did said that the system is almost the country already, haha. Almost, you have to look hard to tell them apart..... ;p

Zerstorer said:
Another assumption there that by you percived that by having a lawsuit against the garment is acting 'in their perceived self-interest'. Kindly explaing the connection between the lawsuit and the individual's perceived self-interest, thanks! :D

Can't it be of a greater good?

Hommie said:
Another assumption there that by you percived that by having a lawsuit against the garment is acting 'in their perceived self-interest'. Kindly explaing the connection between the lawsuit and the individual's perceived self-interest, thanks! :D

Can't it be of a greater good?

It's to your reference that it is impossible to win. If you had a valid case, theoretically you have a chance of winning.

When it turns out that you have no chance at all, its not merely the fault of those at the top. Its all those down the chain who failed to do what is right; Who self-servingly ignored any perceived injustice because they didn't want unecessary complications that make their job difficult. You see this in any job, in any normal circumstance.

Basically, when things go wrong, many are at fault.

Anyway, how often would you come to such a situation? Many things can be resolved by pushing the right buttons. MPs, the media, public sentiment are your friends.

Zerstorer said:
It's to your reference that it is impossible to win. If you had a valid case, theoretically you have a chance of winning.

When it turns out that you have no chance at all, its not merely the fault of those at the top. Its all those down the chain who failed to do what is right.

Basically, when things go wrong, many are at fault.

Anyway, how often would you come to such a situation? Many things can be resolved by pushing the right buttons. MPs, the media, public sentiment are your friends.
You have not answer my previous question about 'perceived self-interest', hehe. :D

You sounded like you agree with me when you mentioned alternative methods like 'pushing the right buttons by media etc'. If the law is just why do you rely on the alternative? Do you not trust the law?

Another assumption that any lawsuit against the garment is flawed by the individual. The system is have problem at down the chain is the responibilities of those on top those never took action.

Status
Not open for further replies.