40mm F2.8 DA Pancake lens (Yum Yum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyloong

Jun 29, 2005
Hello Fellow Pentax User

Just receive the 40mm DA. I must say it's very very small. Image quality is good. Almost like the 50mm FA f1.4. So here are some pics. Mounted on ME Super

IMGP5913.jpg

Side view with hood and cap

IMGP5918.jpg

Top View Without the Lens Hood and Cap

IMGP5919.jpg

Front View Without the Lens Hood and Cap

IMGP5920.jpg

Lens Hood and Cap

Overall i think it's a good lens. Performance and construction wise. Metal construction even it's hood and cap. As you can see you could mistaken the hood and cap as a lens cap. But really it's very ingenius. The only thing i don't quite like it's the screw cap. I wish they give you a 30mm quick release type. It's quite bothersome to unscrew the cap everytime you wanna take a shoot. Unless you just take the cap off. From what i can see the hood does a very good protection on the front element.
Anyway this lens is a beauty. Now that's why i bought a pentax.

:) Enjoy

Congratulations on the new purchase. I'm sure you'll get some great shots out of it. I'd buy one if I didn't have the 35/2 and 50/1.4. It's one of the coolest lens you could ever find.

BTW, mind sharing where you got it and the price ;p

Cheers and happy shooting ...

Congrats, post some pics soon

Price is about RM 1000. I bought it in Penang. Apparently they accidentaly ordered one by mistake. So i got it from the shop. Anyway i check Hong Kong price for this lens is around 2000 hkd. I think should be the same as this lens in malaysia. The only thing is Hong Kong have many of this lens. Malaysia just have one for the whole country. Jialat. Seems like pentax user has become an endangered spesies.

hi

sorry a bit OT
i got pancake too
but maybe not the limited

your nickname tyloong
is it a humorous abbreviation = tai yee loong ?
meaning loan shark ?

Ha ha ha. Yup always get that. Ha ha ha :D

Cool.

Do you intend to shoot the DA lens with your ME Super? You wouldn't get a full image with that...

I got so excited when I saw this thread I went to photograph my 2 pancakes! 40mm is my favourite field of view. Here's what I got:

HPIM0237.jpg

HPIM0239.jpg

Pentax MX with SMC-M 40/2.8

HPIM0240.jpg

HPIM0242.jpg

Konica Autoreflex TC with Hexanon AR 40/1.8

kelvinang said:
Do you intend to shoot the DA lens with your ME Super? You wouldn't get a full image with that...

Yeah.. won't you get "black fringing" at the corners of the image (readily apparent in the viewfinder), I had exactly that when I mount my DA 14mm on my MX.

Sigh, too bad I won't really be getting it because of the 1.5x crop factor. I think the 40mm focal length will be really useful, but once mounted on an APS-C sensor camera, its effective focal length of 60mm is just plain... wierd.. anybody think otherwise?

Heretix said:
Yeah.. won't you get "black fringing" at the corners of the image (readily apparent in the viewfinder), I had exactly that when I mount my DA 14mm on my MX.

Sigh, too bad I won't really be getting it because of the 1.5x crop factor. I think the 40mm focal length will be really useful, but once mounted on an APS-C sensor camera, its effective focal length of 60mm is just plain... wierd.. anybody think otherwise?

It's just a Pentax tradition to have really odd focal lengths ;-) Now that 31, 43 and 77 are covered, something else should come in and cover the missing bits... hence 60mm! After all, it's also a Limited lens... ;-)

Considering that a 35/2.8 lens will protrude out and weigh several times this 40/2.8 pancake, I probably will use this 40mm lens if I want to travel really really compact and light. The difference between a 50mm and 60mm is probably not that great and could be fixed by walking back a step or so. After all... the problem with most photographers is that they don't/couldn't get in close enough (disclaimer: my opinion only)!

Actually i plan to used it with my DS. The reason i took it with ME super is because i was using the DS to take the picture. He he he.

tyloong said:
Actually i plan to used it with my DS. The reason i took it with ME super is because i was using the DS to take the picture. He he he.

Actually, I think I read in dpreview that someone tried with his film slr and there were little if any vignetting.

Status
Not open for further replies.