3rd Party Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericang

Jul 7, 2008
Singapore, Singapore
Hi Csers,

Would you recommend a 3rd party battery to be used on your DSLR?

I am going on a 14 days tour.
Was thinking to get a 3rd party battery as a backup. Afraid that the original battery provided will not last that long on over night journey where charging on a train is quite unlikely.

Will a 3rd party battery damage your equipment ?

nope
i usin 3rd party battery for my camera until now nth bad happen
i usin phottix brand btw it cheaps also haha

If nothing happen, good.

If something happen...... u will regret. Whats the saving? $20?? Not worth it bro...... If its a compact that cost $300-$400, np. If its a DSLR...... I dun see the savings.......

Please do a SEARCH.... this has been repeated PLENTY of tiems....

and there is no point to save such a lil amount on an item which may risk your camera (warranty not covered if anything does happen)

depends where you are going...if the environment is bad for batteries use the original so that can get some warranty if problems arise.

for singapore, i use 3rd party high capacity battery. 1/3 the price but more then twice the original battery capacity.

don't you know using a 3rd party battery will void your camera warranty?

recommend you a 3rd party battery?? if anything happen to you camera, who suppose to be responsible?

depends buying from which shop, if its a relatively unknown shop and unknown brand then better dont. For 3rd party battery sold by shops like MS Color, Cathay Photo and even Orient Photo with the salesman that you know by name as well as colleagues, says that it works i dont see why not. If worried, call up the service center ask and ask for quotation on how much to replace the battery chamber in case of battery leak.

basically if you find the repair quote scary, use original battery.

I got a grip for my canon and the batteries used were 3rd party. Even if they leaked or whatever, at the most the grip was gone case.

as for warranty, from what i read using anything 3rd party will void the warranty including 3rd party lens manufacturers and flash and even the firmware.

What i find most amazing is how many will actually own up and say the camera got problem due to user fault rather then push the blame on the manufacturer to save repair cost.

Last edited:
I got a grip for my canon and the batteries used were 3rd party. Even if they leaked or whatever, at the most the grip was gone case.

as for warranty, from what i read using anything 3rd party will void the warranty including 3rd party lens manufacturers and flash and even the firmware.

Using 3rd party lens void warranty too... that is not good... :think:

Why don't suggest the TS to get a grip and use AA batteries instead? Re-chargeable AA are cheaper than original batteries... and it won't void any warranties (at least I don't remember canon having it's own AA batteries.... :bsmilie:)

i believe at least 30% of pple here r using 3rd party batteries, and till date, none have their body killed by 3rd party batteries b4.

however, if your afraid that 3rd party batteries might cause any damage to your equipment, u SHOULD NOT use them. no use, no fear.

actually has anyone called up the service centres and asked how much does it cost to fix a DSLR battery chamber if battery leaked?

3rd party batteries is known to fry the sensor and the electronic circuits inside the camera. Your camera lifespan will be shortened if you use 3rd party batteries. Repair cost is about the price of the camera itself. Good luck folks if you use 3rd party batteries. As one smart alec in the shop advised me, "Buy the original battery before you buy the camera." (in case they stop the production of the original battery).

It depends on how comfortable are you with 3rd party batteries. So far mine haven't been giving me any problem. As for a shorter lifespan of the camera, I've got no idea at all... :bsmilie: I wanted to get an original too, but the sales guy recommended me to get that 3rd party. So far so good. No complaints. :thumbsup:

I heard if you are using a sony dslr with the newer firmware, third parties batteries may not work... can anyone confirm it? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.