3D Color matrix metering II - with G type or D type lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevyan

Jan 5, 2005
PR
Hi all,

I just need some advice regarding 3D Color matrix metering II on my D80.

Based on Dpreview, 3D Color matrix metering uses a 420 pixel CCD to calculate the best exposure for the frame. And 3D color matrix metering is only available with G type or D type lenses where the range information is used in conjunction with metered light.

I am using the a 3rd party lens, Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) . So not sure if I can make use of 3D colour matrix metering with this lens.

Interesting that no one reply to this.

emh.. as stated by Nikon:
3D Color Matrix Metering II (type G and D lenses); color matrix metering II (other CPU lenses); color matrix metering (non-CPU lenses if user provides lens data; metering performed).

Based on that, I would say Tamron 17-50 only support color matrix metering II.
If I'm not mistaken, type G & D lenses will let the camera know the "Distance" of the focused subject. That's why Nikon called it 3D.

Pro here, correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Ah... thank you very much....

emh.. as stated by Nikon:
3D Color Matrix Metering II (type G and D lenses); color matrix metering II (other CPU lenses); color matrix metering (non-CPU lenses if user provides lens data; metering performed).

Based on that, I would say Tamron 17-50 only support color matrix metering II.
If I'm not mistaken, type G & D lenses will let the camera know the "Distance" of the focused subject. That's why Nikon called it 3D.

Pro here, correct me if I'm wrong. :)

I think this lens does give distance info. 2 reasons:

1. From the LensID listed in http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/Nikon.html, the LensID is "00 54 2B 50 24 24 00 06". The LensType "06" means D and G.
2. If you look at the EXIF in your images, the "focus distance" field is included.

BTW, this guy says that the lens gives wrong distance. http://dptnt.com/2007/10/over-exposed-flash-shots-with-tamron-af-17-50-f28-xr-di-ii/

Status
Not open for further replies.