35mm summilux pre-asph

Hi Bros,

How much roughly is the 35 lux pre-asph v2, made in canada or germany?
Is there a chrome/silver version for either canadian/germany made?
Thanks.

thanks for the review artspraken...

did you pick up a 'made in germany' copy?

no, mine is canada. black.

most made in germany are titanium versions. there is a run of blacks that are made in germany but those are very rare.

generally, try to get a later serial no. some people say early serial number the coating is not the same. but the optical design is the same from serial 21XXXXXX onwards. it be quite difficult to find a v2 that is before this serial.

many copies on ebay got infinity lock. i dunno what the infinity lock does, but i chose my version without infinity lock coz it is newer. infinity lock is older version

Last edited:
Hi Bros,

How much roughly is the 35 lux pre-asph v2, made in canada or germany?
Is there a chrome/silver version for either canadian/germany made?
Thanks.

have a look on ebay or in B&S and you can get a ballpark gauge. I'd say roughly in ballpark of sgd 1900 to sgd 2300.

titanium cost abit more.

germany versions also cost abit more, coz rarer.

Note that if you buy this lens you need to be able to either (i) use the lens without filter, or (ii) resolve the filter problem by modding the hood to fix inside a filter.

its quite troublesome. later when free i try to post pics of what I did with my hood and filter.

Basically, I bought a Leica 12526 Hood and attach a 40.5mm filter to the Hood. Can confirm no vignette from filter put this way. But must make sure it is 40.5mm filter.

How about this baby? priced more than the new LUX FLE :what:

BTW, this seller is legendary. Most of his ads consist of pix of dirty lenses with a standard description: "clean optics, smooth rotation." WTF!

Last edited:
How about this baby? priced more than the new LUX FLE :what:

BTW, this seller is legendary Most of ads consist of pix of dirty lenses with a standard description: "clean optics, smooth rotation." WTF!

There is a tonne of wear and tear in the bayonet area. I wouldn't take it.

This USD 7,000 piece is priced as a collectible. You should only consider it if you are a collector and you want to own a rare chrome version. If you want a lens for practical use, you should find another copy in a better condition (and cheaper also!).

See below. This chrome version is collectible coz it is rare and is built more solid. The USD 7,000 is a premium due to its rarity, not because it is good condition.

To me, if you want to get the "solid" feel, you should get the titanium version. Titanium is heavy and solid and is also newer with new coating (and also made in germany)

From http://www.cameraquest.com/mlenses.htm

35/1.4 Summilux 1961 to 1997.
The earlier lenses were chrome and magnificently made. You won't believe the craftsmanship until you see an early chrome for yourself, a work of art. The later black finish has a much lighter "feel" to it. A very long lived optical design. While not considered as sharp as the 35 Summicron, the Summilux has a nice following for the "glow" it gives. Also available in a very handsome titanium in the 90's. It interesting that this lens stayed in production for almost 40 years. Most sources say it was an unchanged optical formula. van Hasbroeck, however, states that it was recomputed in 1966 from # 2166702 onwards with noticeably improved performance. All 35/1.4 Summilux are low production future collectibles.

* Chrome lens, very well made, Canada w/eyes for M3. This version focused to a relatively close 26." Note that this version will also work just as well on the other M bodies and focus to the same 26" if you need the close focusing ability.
* Chrome lens, very well made, Canada no eyes for M3. This and later versions focused to 40."
* Black aluminum anodized, Canada, no "35" on barrel, new formula from #2166702
* Black, Canada, no "35" on barrel, no infinity lock
* Black, engraved "35" on barrel
* Titanium, limited production future collectible for the classic Titanium M6

Last edited:
This USD 7,000 piece is priced as a collectible. You should only consider it if you are a collector and you want to own a rare chrome version. If you want a lens for practical use, you should find another copy in a better condition (and cheaper also!).

See below. This chrome version is collectible coz it is rare and is built more solid. The USD 7,000 is a premium due to its rarity, not because it is good condition.

To me, if you want to get the "solid" feel, you should get the titanium version. Titanium is heavy and solid and is also newer with new coating (and also made in germany)

From http://www.cameraquest.com/mlenses.htm

[/size]

Not really. The HK'ers actually think the chrome steelRim version performs better than the later ones. True or not I am not sure, but they have test shots to "prove" wor:

HKLFC 35mm test

Guess very soon, there will be clowns here showing chrome steelRim Lux liao. (how do u call it? something like "Lorry grill" izit? :bsmilie:

are u sure that is steel rim. i dunno how to identify steel rim from normal chrome.

but you are correct, some people say steel rim is better optically

any bro want to sell his 35mm lux??? hunting very long until i gave up and brought the cv 35mm f1.4 which is not too bad a lens

in rff some people are viewing 35 lux pre-asph as very flare-prone and soft wide open (which some people like).
But most people like the CV 35mm f1.7 ultron. So that could be an option too if you can find it.
i have CV 35/1.4 too and i like it.

How about the CV 35 1.2 in comparison? I saw a lot of nice photos from this lens on flickr.

I chose 35 lux instead of CV lenses because CV lenses are all quite sharp. In fact, if you like sharpness, the f1.7 Ultron is a good buy. I'm not sure about the CV f1.4 and CV f1.2 as I have no experience. The 35 lux is one of the most glowy leica lenses (probably the most)

I like the 35 lux because I can switch from:
F1.4 (soft + glow)
to
F2.0 (sharp + glow)
to
F2.8 (sharp, no glow)

I live in these 3 apertures. They give me flexibility, depending on the capture. The glow must be used selectively. Its very nice for certain types of pics (particularly hazy romantic portraiture), but not others.

I have no problems with flaring because I use the hood from the bokeh king (12526). The flare problem exists and if you are using the 12504 hood it is unlikely to help much.

The seriously annoying thing about 35 lux is that filters cannot fit. You will need to mod the 12526 hood to fit a filter. So far I just use blu tac

btw. Glow looks very very good in B&W!

Last edited:
This is how I mod my hood. I stick a 40.5mm filter onto the 12526 hood using blu tac. Its very ugly but very secure.

I read that it is possible to "deframe" the filter to remove the glass. Does anybody know what filter can be broken up like this? If I can stick only the glass without the frame, I won't have the vignetting problem below.

5117315766_20f7ce0014_z.jpg

Abit a vignetting
5109736505_c37232bbf0_z.jpg

Hi bros,

I finally got myself a 35mm pre asph lux but cannot focus infinity on my M8 :cry:

I own the cv 35 f1.2 n f1.4 but somehow I still prefer Leica 35mm becos its almost zero distortion free.

Any bro here got a solution for me??? can i send this in to Leica for mod and how much will the charges be??

Thanks

shoot this just now in the george benson's show. love this lens , hope can be fixed to used on m8.

Hi bros,

I finally got myself a 35mm pre asph lux but cannot focus infinity on my M8 :cry:

I own the cv 35 f1.2 n f1.4 but somehow I still prefer Leica 35mm becos its almost zero distortion free.

Any bro here got a solution for me??? can i send this in to Leica for mod and how much will the charges be??

Thanks

Either send it to Don (long long wait, sian), or, DIY as shown below:

After5.jpg

caveat: not my own mod. not for shaky hands, so proceed with caution :angel:

I used to have 2 of this, all no problem focusing to infinity on M8/9.

I own both the 35mm Summilux pre-asph and Asph version, and I love both the lenses. The modern Asph version is a real piece of work... it's razor sharp wide open with nice bokeh, and it's surprisingly lightweight for it's size. If you don't mind spending the dough on this lens, I'd say it's probably the best 35mm high speed lens in the market.

I love the Pre-Asph version for other reasons. It's incredibly compact for its max aperture, making it great for trips where you want to go light. More importantly, like what many others have said, it feels like a 2-in-1 lens. Open it up to f/1.4 or f/2, and you get some really amazing aberration effects with that soft glow. It is not unsharp, but you get some dreamy glow that works really well in some cases. Stop it down to f/2.8 or f/4, and it behaves like any other lens - sharp and contrasty (compared to other lenses in its era, but definitely not a match for the modern corrected lens).

My example is well-used and Made-in-Canada, but frankly I'd not want to trade it for anything else. This lens definitely stays! :)

My review of the 35mm Summilux Pre-Asph is still on the way, but here's a picture you can use as wall-paper to poison yourself with! :)

_MG_9535wall.jpg