35mm SLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

invisibl3

Sep 9, 2007
East
Hi,

Recently I was searching around the house and found several old SLRs that my dad previously used. Currently interested in playing with it before i buy a DSLR but not to sure if its fully functioning or not.Is there a way to test the cameras without buying any film first?
Also if i buy normal film should i just send it to a normally to develop or any recommended shops to go to in the east?

Cameras which i found are as below:

Minolta x700
Minolta x300
Canon AE-1

Anyway please advise me on this.
Hoping to use these if they are working.

Will provide lenses details later as i'm not to sure on how to check the lens details as well.

I think you'd better get DSLR. You don't know enough about photography to use those cameras at this time.

i am planning to get one but i have to wait a while before buying so was thinking that i could just play around with it a bit so if next time i wanna try i out film stuffs i know that i have a working set at home instead of buying it off someone.
Currently i have a prosumer and learning from it as well.

i am planning to get one but i have to wait a while before buying so was thinking that i could just play around with it a bit so if next time i wanna try i out film stuffs i know that i have a working set at home instead of buying it off someone.
Currently i have a prosumer and learning from it as well.

well, I'm a film user...I use to have a DSLR but stop using it after using film...somehow I'm addicted to it.. in fact those old camera your dad having are quite automatic in the sense of metering... quite easy to use unless it a full manual camera... it take a bit of practice to use a manual camera and it fun and sometime the result are rewarding... you only worry is that you might get hooked to film and forgot about buying DSLR...

Hi,

Recently I was searching around the house and found several old SLRs that my dad previously used. Currently interested in playing with it before i buy a DSLR but not to sure if its fully functioning or not.Is there a way to test the cameras without buying any film first?
Also if i buy normal film should i just send it to a normally to develop or any recommended shops to go to in the east?

Cameras which i found are as below:

Minolta x700
Minolta x300
Canon AE-1

Anyway please advise me on this.
Hoping to use these if they are working.

Will provide lenses details later as i'm not to sure on how to check the lens details as well.

I have a Canon AE1 before... nice camera... you can get the film develop at any photo shop/lab... or scan the film yourself if you have a film scanner or ask them to burn to CDs... I suggest you test the camera with a roll of cheap film first...

thanks Verticoastro for the advice.. would try it out with a cheap film first and see how it looks like...
Also do all photolabs does the scanning for us or only specific ones does..

SLR and DSLR function very much the same way in terms of basic usage. The only hassles I foresee are probably learning to load/unload film, and figuring out the old camera's controls (shutter, aperture, ISO) and metering methods.

If really want to save film, you can use 1 single roll to test all 3 cameras individually. For this you'll need to know how to rewind the film back into the canister and pull out the leader to reload in the next camera, and then forward to the next unused frame.

The other aspect of testing films is you'll likely want to record some manual notes about which frame used what aperture/shutter/focal length/camera because there's no digital information attached to film :)

go down to Diaso, u can buy a roll for 2 bucks. After taking the film, you can sent it to a decent photo developing shop (like 35mm) and have them develop and contact print for about 5 bucks (???). A single 4R print will set u back about 30-40cents.

Try to buy cheap films then send for developing. Just developing only and no need to print.
Somehow you can see if the exposure is correct or there's a light leakage inside the film compartment.

PM me if you have further questions...

Try to buy cheap films then send for developing. Just developing only and no need to print.
Somehow you can see if the exposure is correct or there's a light leakage inside the film compartment.

PM me if you have further questions...

thanks will definitely do that and seems like the x700 has a macro lens and is quite good condition so i will be testing that first.
anyway i saw your location as bedok, i am also living in bedok maybe i can look for you if i need help. :embrass:

check the battery compartment for corrosion. you'll need a couple of LR44 batteries for the minoltas. they use an electronic shutter. i think the AE-1 also needs batteries to get it going. check the seals around the flilm compartment of the camera body, if they're white and crumbly with age, they'll need replacing. pay particular attention to the side where the back cover is hinged to the body. there's normally a thick piece of black felt there to prevent light leaks to the exposed film. if it's disintegrated, replace it with some balck felt you can buy from spotlight or from old film canisters.

use the x700, it has 3 exposure modes - full auto exposure, aperture priority and manual. just like a dslr. it's got exposure lock button, just like a dslr, self-timer again like a dslr, interchangeable lenses like a dslr... you get my drift. i normally use aperture priority because i like to control the depth of field (the bluriness of the background you see in some pictures). i set the aperture and the camera selects the shutter speed.

you can learn photography just as easily with these cameras as a dslr. just remember to record your settings in a little note book so you can relate them to the pictures later on.

these things are a lot fun to use and they make sounds like no other dslr. :bsmilie:

thanks will definitely do that and seems like the x700 has a macro lens and is quite good condition so i will be testing that first.
anyway i saw your location as bedok, i am also living in bedok maybe i can look for you if i need help. :embrass:

No problem, we can meet up at a coffee shop nearby and I will check the cameras for you FOC. Im currently overseas and will be back end of the month. let me check first so you don't have to buy the films.

I think you'd better get DSLR. You don't know enough about photography to use those cameras at this time.

let's see..he got free cams. why will he not be able to learn how to use them? i'm sure his dad can guide him. besides..in the old days, those cams were all folks had to learn with. i say let him go get some film and try them out.

thanks for all the reply.. i did check the x700 seems to work and has no corrosion on the battery compartment the battery it also has the lr44 batteries in and seems to be working. Haven't tested it with film yet. for the AE-1 i still need to find the 6v alkaline battery to test it out but if one of the three works i'll be happy enough ;p . i do like the x300 feel but x700 seems to have the better lens and more functions(i think) so will definitely buy a film later to test out the x700 first. hope that it works then i can bring it out to test and learn some more.

let's see..he got free cams. why will he not be able to learn how to use them? i'm sure his dad can guide him. besides..in the old days, those cams were all folks had to learn with. i say let him go get some film and try them out.

I agree.

im addicted to film too. im on a film camera buying rampage.Use film for your own work. digital for convenience

I also adopt the same style as you.. using films as my own hobby and digital for assigment... but sometime I suggest for film in my assigment too...

i was thinking of doing just that also i think it kinda helps using film instead of digital as i could learn more than just PNS which i tend to do with digital

i was thinking of doing just that also i think it kinda helps using film instead of digital as i could learn more than just PNS which i tend to do with digital

tap your dad's knowledge and skills as much as you can ;)

i've actually tested the camera and i think it should be working but currently i can't develop the film. When to the photohub at marina and the auntie told me that the sides of the film are messed up. she can't process it as the chemical would spill all over the place. is there anyplace i can process the film? anyway i did have great fun taking the pictures and lucky i also brought my S3is.

anyway please advise is there is anywhere i can send the film for processing.

Status
Not open for further replies.