35mm Film Scanners

momobot

Jul 23, 2011
Hey guys,

May I check with you all if you have some experience in using these 2 brands of film scanner - ION and SVP. (just google it for details)
Because Im looking for a film scanner with a tight budget. And I found it on the net and price range from $90-$150, scanning res of 5mp <- is this res already enough?
Any thoughts about this? or any recommendations?

Thanks a lot!:)

Why not get a Cannon scanner which cost less than $150 but res higher than 5mp. And you can use it to scan other A4 documents also.

Why not get a Cannon scanner which cost less than $150 but res higher than 5mp. And you can use it to scan other A4 documents also.

oh thanks. Which model is that?

Cheapest Canon in production film scanner in Singapore is the CanoScan LiDE 700F maybe upcoming Comex Show (1-4th sept) you can go hunt.

But be warned cheapo Sanners do terrible jobs at colour resolution and true scanning resolutions are horrible. Maybe if not planning to take a lot of photos you can send it to a lab for scanning. They generally give better results.

Just get an Epson V600 or Canon 9000i (Canon is cheaper) at the very least.
They are already only so-so in terms of the amount of detail they can capture vs lab scans.
(good enough for normal viewing and web sizes of course)
I shudder to think what the no name cheap ones can do.
1. Poor driver support and poor drivers
2. Poor software
3. Unknown color accuracy, dynamic range and resolution.
4. Lack of forum info if you run into problems

If you don't have the money straight off to by the above 2 scanners, then just get the lab to scan.
The lab scans usually have better detail capture.
They cost more in the long run of course.

Else, if you have a digital camera, you can DIY a 'film scanner' as well (so a google on this... lots of info on this on the web)

Last edited:
Cheapest Canon in production film scanner in Singapore is the CanoScan LiDE 700F maybe upcoming Comex Show (1-4th sept) you can go hunt.

But be warned cheapo Sanners do terrible jobs at colour resolution and true scanning resolutions are horrible. Maybe if not planning to take a lot of photos you can send it to a lab for scanning. They generally give better results.

Yes I understand. lab is much better way to scan. but I just wanted to have 1 because I dont need to scan all my negs to a very high res. for photo sharing, I think its better to have 1 at home. Thanks! I will definitely go to comex to see theirs things there.

Just get an Epson V600 or Canon 9000i (Canon is cheaper) at the very least.
They are already only so-so in terms of the amount of detail they can capture vs lab scans.
(good enough for normal viewing and web sizes of course)
I shudder to think what the no name cheap ones can do.
1. Poor driver support and poor drivers
2. Poor software
3. Unknown color accuracy, dynamic range and resolution.
4. Lack of forum info if you run into problems

If you don't have the money straight off to by the above 2 scanners, then just get the lab to scan.
The lab scans usually have better detail capture.
They cost more in the long run of course.

Else, if you have a digital camera, you can DIY a 'film scanner' as well (so a google on this... lots of info on this on the web)

thanks for the tip there. I found Epson V600 for $200 should be ok already with that price. right?

My Canon 9000f broke down after the first session of use (got it repaired under warranty of course), so I certainly will ask you to try the Epson over the Canon :D