35mm F1.4 L or 5D mark2

full frame or L Lens

Results are only viewable after voting.

wingwaishappy

May 9, 2006
Bishan
If I like the 50mm view (in terms of full frame) for day to day use, so was wondering which is a better option a 550D + 35mm L or 5D mark 2 + 50mm f1.8. Given that my budget is 3K plus minus.

Do put down your considerations and your personal experience in using any of the equipment stated above.

if i really have to choose between the 2, i'll go with the former, though i favour the full-frame sensor more than the APS-C.

alternative solution:
5DMK2 + Sigma 50/f1.4

to be frank if u want to maximise canon L lens, FF cam is the way to go.

so if I were you, i will upgrade to 5DMKII first then save up for 35mm L.

For low light situation, 2nd option would be better. I would choose 2nd option first and save for at least canon's 50mm f1.4

I think option A wont give u same pic as ootion B. Bcos 35mm will have wider dof.

Since you are planning to shoot with fast primes I would assume that good bokeh is important to you. Both lenses are very sharp so there would be no complaints there. But the 50 f1.8 is a 5-bladed aperture lens which can result in unsatisfactory bokeh.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-50mm-f-1.8-II-Lens-Review.aspx
Excerpt: "With an f/1.8 maximum aperture, this is a fast lens. Unfortunately, only five non-rounded aperture blades are used in this lens. This design leads to sometimes-poor bokeh."
The other thing is the feel. The 50 f1.8 feels like a toy while the 35L is real solid.
So I would choose the 35L over the FF body. Furthermore, investment in lenses is probably better than a fast depreciating body.
Alternatively is to go the dark side as Nikon has an AFS DX 35 f1.8 that is really cheap and extremely sharp. ;)

this is the ugly bokeh on a 5DMKII + 50mm f1.8

72421_448361297522_688242522_5396006_3929147_n.jpg

its very apparent when u use smaller aperture (more then f4)

my advise is still to get 5DMKII, this body will last u for a few years at least. And u will have more lens option open up to you be it Canon's own EF lens or even third party MF (the price is so much lower!) lens.

I shot this using a Yashica ML 50mm f1.4 (which cost me only $200 including the C/Y mount to EOS converter), the only disadvantage is that u must be comfortable doing manual focusing (MF).

319947_10150305361662523_688242522_8002153_1791675263_n.jpg

This lens bokeh is definitely nicer then Canon 50mm f1.8.

I was just in this shoe a week ago and I went ahead to get the 35L instead of the full frame for the various reason

1. My body is working well for me.
2. I believe in lens as they depreciate less
3. Everyone seems to be selling the 5DMII now..probably becos of the rumor of MIII..I suppose its not exactly the best time to buy
4. Average body with good lens seems to work more for me than good body and average lens

Hope it helps.

550d+35L...you will always wonder how it will be if you had gotten a 5d II instead...end up selling the 550d to upgrade to ff...

5D II+cheap lens...you will always wonder how a better lens will perform on the 5d II...end up selling the cheap lens to upgrade...

Either way you will loss money...

So the best solution is to stretch it all the way...5D II+ decent lens...

With grey set going for 2.7K+, now might actually be a good time to buy a 5d II. Coz if you can barely afford the 5D II, chances are, you will not be able to afford the next model which will be way more expensive when released.

550d+35L...you will always wonder how it will be if you had gotten a 5d II instead...end up selling the 550d to upgrade to ff...

5D II+cheap lens...you will always wonder how a better lens will perform on the 5d II...end up selling the cheap lens to upgrade...

Either way you will loss money...

So the best solution is to stretch it all the way...5D II+ decent lens...

With grey set going for 2.7K+, now might actually be a good time to buy a 5d II. Coz if you can barely afford the 5D II, chances are, you will not be able to afford the next model which will be way more expensive when released.

True, if Canon release the new 5D Mark III, it will be more expensive.
BTW, 5D Mark II is proven to those pros. So why not :)

Everywhere, there will be ppl sell and buy.
Even in Nikon, there are people selling D700 and Nikon D3s.
And I'm one of them selling both items.

And my reason, just want to try Canon.
For me, I bought a brand new 5D Mark II. I know what is lag with this camera as compare to Nikon.
I just want to try Canon.. that is all my reason and I like it :)

Last edited:
how about 35mm f2 on 550d ? hee hee..

i am exploring this vs ff with cheap 50mm too... will do more research when i have time...

how about 35mm f2 on 550d ? hee hee..

i am exploring this vs ff with cheap 50mm too... will do more research when i have time...

sigma 30mm f1.4 better choice for crop. anyway if got intention to go FF someday then this lens not a good choice.

This is a classic case of "pro body + cheap lens" vs "cheap body + pro lens". You should remember that good glass can last a long time whereas bodies get replaced pretty quickly. Pros today are using the 5D Mk II, and they will be using the Mk III a couple of years from now. But they will still be using the same L lenses. Granted, some of these lenses may get updated, but the classic ones will still be very good. (Case-in-point: the 70-200 f/2.8L and its IS / IS II variants) Some other lenses have proven themselves and haven't been changed for more than 10 years. (How about 50 f/1.4?)

In short, go with 550D + 35L. Or save yourself a thousand bucks and get the Sigma 30 f/1.4, which you can sell in BnS for only a small loss later. The money saved can buy you other lenses such as 50 f/1.4, or upgrade your existing zoom lenses to 17-55 f/2.8 or 70-200 f/4L.

tecnica said:
if i really have to choose between the 2, i'll go with the former, though i favour the full-frame sensor more than the APS-C.

alternative solution:
5DMK2 + Sigma 50/f1.4

Second that, the resolution of 5d2 will outperform the 35L mated with 500D. Unless u are looking for f1.4 bokehs, otherwise 50 1.8 is really decent prime.

5dm2 + kit 24-105?
+ save up for 24mmf1.4 or contax 21mmf2.8

i chose 5D2 & 50/1.8...

on the other hand, i'd rather use Sigma 30/1.4 on 550D...

sinned79 said:
TS got a hard time now to decide cos its a 50-50 vote! lol

I just voted in favour of the 5D mk ii/50mm combo. Maybe that will make TS's decision easier. :)