320GB HD: Which brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
erm... i got a toshiba(dead and replaced) hitachi, maxtor, seagate, samsung... some 2.5" some 3.5", some IDE, some(one only) sata...

for me i go for the cheapest... they are more or less the same with me (haven got any bad experience with any brand other than toshiba)

Toshiba harddisk is damn ex as compared to my Seagate! :sweat:

Am surprised hearing so many CSer stating that Seagate is good. Doing a search in HardwareZone found out that many people there are against Seagate. So which is right and which is wrong? Really eager to find out also...:think:
Me personally use a Seagate 250GB 7200RPM (only $149) and so far so good! :)

Thats why I was against Seagate at the start. I did my research there but could not find a suitable one. For now, I am thinking of WD. Hmmmmmm

I miss Quantum :sweat: They really made good stuff. :thumbsup:

oh ya, that remind me their bigfoot series, reliable but run slow...got big foot mah.

go for seagate or Maxtor or Hitachi (ex-IBM)...no diff, if there's a break down...just pure luck.

Actually I had IBM, Seagate, WD, Quantum and Matrox Hdds. The seagate I had are the latest addition (namely 300 and 320 SATAs). One thing I noticed abt the hdd failure is mainly due to PSU. I had a good working of hdds for several years after I changed to a good PSU supply. Only recently, when my current PSU blown (sparkle with some burnt smell), the all the hdds problems started again. (Bad sectors, partition lost etc.. ). I changed a new good PSU now all back to normal. So basically, all brands of HDDs are no difference to me. The most important to me is get the best PSU in the market to avoid potiental HDD problems.;)

Most important, always backup ur data.
I backup to another HDD, & also burn into CD/DVDs. Will make two copies, using diff media for important data.

Thus, just get the brand with the longest warranty coverage. = Seagate.
However, I'm currently using Hitachi(3yr)250GB x 2 SATAII cos it runs cooler than Seagate.
As for office, I will go for Seagate for their 5yr warranty since aircon is always On in the office, no heat issue.

for me, i personally more prefer Samsung and Western Digital HDD. Samsung is well-known in quieter operation and less power consumption (means less heat too) while giving superior performance too. Samsung hdd got high praise from chips and HWM magazine too...
i've been using seagate hdd for a server. it's hotter than any other brand (except cooler than Hitachi brand) and got bad experience for seagate brand. :angry:
if you want to secure all your precious photo, i suggest you buy two same capacity hdd and do RAID 1 (mirror). if one of the hdd bad or spoilt, you still have the other hdd to cover and can still carry on with your work.
finally, i would like to say that there is no 100% guaranty of which hdd is the best in term of performance and realibility. it's all your luck like 4D. anyway, i don't have much issue with Samsung & Western Digital. :thumbsup: dun believe me? i had bought over 500 units for my company and down rate is about less than 5%. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't buy Maxtor. I have personally known a few people who had their Maxtor HDs died on them prematurely. Some of them only had the HD for only a little over a year. The scary part is, they are the type of people who are computer literate and I know they are not also the type who abuse their computers. What would happen to those drives if they are in the hands of people who runs and pushes their computer system really hard? Especially those who continuously change, re-arrange, delete, add huge files in and to the hard disk. Or people who do all of these and never defragment the HD. Those HDs could possibly die even sooner. But in comparison, the other HDs (Seagate & Western Digital) that my friends & I used lasted much much longer without any problems. In fact, I just bought a couple more Seagate HDs within the past 3 months. So far so good. I hope they are still as reliable as the older ones. These are the first HDs I've purchased in the last few years.

Btw I'm not saying these Seagate and Western Digital have spotless records though. I just think that overall they are more dependable than Maxtor. My brother purchased a Western Digital HD several years ago and it was DOA (dead on arrival). However, the other 4 Western Digital HDs that we use (some were older & some were newer than the DOA drive) still run flawlessly. My oldest Seagate drive (7 years old) started putting out a clicking sound about a couple of years ago. I still ran it until a few months ago (until I decided it was not worth the risk to continue running it and the possibility of losing data if it crashes).

I think a lot depends on batches.
There will be certain batches where there will be problem. I have Seagate Baracuddas and WDs that died. My last HD was a Maxtor. It died after 3 years.
Depend on your luck.:)

basically all mechnical parts has to move regularly...i have an ibm9GB still running today for my boys com game since 98/99 till now...

all products roll out fron production lines will has so call batch/yield issue...early stage new production launch, prodution still in infant state, will ahve some issue here n there...few mths down the road, that the best product that come out from factory, stable n high yied...and then the 3rd stage...cost reduction from PCB etc ....so all this depend on luck too..

I have ave 7 seagate drives ranging from 200 to 400 Gb. Mostly 7200 rpm affair. All quite alive. The oldest is around 4.5 years. The youngest is 2 months old and is a 320gb one.

Got a Maxtor Drive some 3 years back. DOA. The exchanged one is still kicking.

Not quite sure what to make of the experience.

I will still buy Seagate due to the warranty but probably will give Maxtor a miss.

Do check that the anti-static bag seal is not broken when buying for a peace of mind.

Should be buying tomorrow if all goes well.

Looking at Either Seagate or WD. Also thinking of buying with case, so can share with two computers or more. But if I buy with a case, its either Seagate or Hitachi from Best Bargain. Good idea?

Oh yes, if I use it as an external drive, do I need a power adaptor?

Oh yes, if I use it as an external drive, do I need a power adaptor?

For those external drive that uses a 2.5in harddisk, will not require any power adaptor but mostly more expensive.
For those bigger drive that uses bigger than 2.5in harddisk, power adaptor is a must!

Ok thnaks, got it. Any imput on the brand to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.