2nd hand equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

chan0458

Nov 30, 2007
NE Singapore
munpun.sharpcast.com
Hi, i'm thinking of buying a 2nd hand lens and flash.
What are some of the flaws that surface for such gear?
i would like to test it out thoroughly, any advice?
for the lens i only know to test the AF:embrass:

For lens, check for dusts and fungus by opening both front and rear caps and face towards a light source. A bit of dusts are normal but fungus is not acceptable. Internally if possible, take some pictures using max and min apertures and bring a laptop to view for sharpness/softness.

Flash wise i can only advice u to check for functions including all modes and its zooming head as i do not buy 2nd hand flashes.

Check for any dust, mould inside the lense...... Open both end of the lens and point 1 end towards a light soures...... look through one end, then the other end. After that, check the outside of the lens body..... any dent ??. Bring along a camera body and check the AF.

Not so sure about flash...... :embrass:

Hope this helps. ;)

The thing about flash is u also dunno how often the user uses or claimed to have used. Unlike lenses,
the flash tube doesn't last that terribly long and after some time the guide number drops and while it still fires dutifully,
it doesn't fire as powerful as it used to previously.

Older model flash are unlikely to be economically reparable.
If you get a second hand flash, a safer bet is a 2nd hand newer flash models ( but if the previous owner was a pro photog :dunno: )

Ryan

if possible, buy second hand equipment that left with some warranty.. I prefer lenses that is in very good condition, ie, no paint wear on the words..

As for flash, i prefer to buy brand new to have a peace of mind. =)

For 2nd hand lenses... you can refer to the following thread...

http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=311048

For flashes... it is hard to tell the condition... how much it has been used, etc. The only thing is the external condition. I would personally prefer to buy a new flash... but I've got no problems getting 2nd hand lenses...

Status
Not open for further replies.