28-80 f/2.8 or 18-200VR for vacation Trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are going to Montreal this summer for a month and not sure which one of these lens to bring. We will go to the safari park outside Montreal for a day and to see the Junior Rangers in St. Jean where I might need more reach, but if shooting at 100-200 ISO I can always crop. Last year I used the 18-200 and was happy with it, but now that I have my 28-80 f/2.8 which I love big time am now not sure which one to bring. For low light and indoors it's pretty obvious. For outdoors during the day both are okay. So??
Thoughts anybody.?
Side note I am bringing my 12-24 f/4 and my SB-800, but don't want to use the flash unless I really have no choice.

If I am u, I will bring 12-24 + 28-70.....these are the best in it's class and anything else is photographer fault :sweatsm: There is no point bringing something which you are not going to use anyway :lovegrin:

I always consider the following when I travel:

Do I mind the extra weight of more lenses?
Do I mind changing lens often?
Will I miss the shot because I have the wrong lens on?
How about the environment? Is it going to be dusty / will there be condensation if I change lens outdoors?

These are just my thoughts.

On a side note, why don't you consider getting the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for low light. You can use that with the 18-200mm which will give you the reach you need.

I always consider the following when I travel:

Do I mind the extra weight of more lenses?
Do I mind changing lens often?
Will I miss the shot because I have the wrong lens on?
How about the environment? Is it going to be dusty / will there be condensation if I change lens outdoors?

These are just my thoughts.

On a side note, why don't you consider getting the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for low light. You can use that with the 18-200mm which will give you the reach you need.

That's the problem when you have a lot of good glass. I do have the 30 f/1.4. Somebody else mentioned on another forum that I should bring all my lens, since I'm going for a month. Then take the appropriate 1-2 for specific outings. Not a bad idea, but that's still a lot of lens to bring.
If I had the $$ and it came out in time there would be the new Sigma 11-16 f/2.8 and maybe bring both the 28-80 and 18-200. I think that would be ideal but......

for safari you could try a 70-300, which gives superior reach to the 18-200 at an affordable price and not too bulky... then bring the 28-80 and 12-24...

Status
Not open for further replies.