28-300L or 24-104 + 70-200 f4 IS

Lathen

Jan 24, 2010
hi,
28-300 L or 24-105 + 70-200 f4 IS, which one to buy ? because 24-105 + 70-200 f4 IS price about the same as 28-300L

Last edited:
All 3 have red ring so all can produce superb image quality. But need to have skill, alot of skill. You have? If yes nothing to worry, if don't have, then nothing to talk about.

How superb is superb? Define so that we know your expectation...

If you want to know those lenses performances, you may google. There are many on line reviews

All 3 have red ring so all can produce superb image quality. But need to have skill, alot of skill. You have? If yes nothing to worry, if don't have, then nothing to talk about.

I thought the question is obviously leaning to the technical side?

24-70 + 70-200 lah :D

hi,
28-300 L or 24-105 + 70-200 f4 IS, which one to buy ? because 24-105 + 70-200 f4 IS price about the same as 28-300L

very interesting question...

but you will have to weight the pros and cons for yourself.

-what are you using the lenses for?
-for 28-300L, you do not have to change lens but it's much heavier on your camera body
-24-105 + 70-200 f4 IS, you might not have the space/time to change lens

I thought the question is obviously leaning to the technical side?

Do you not see under his post it says 'Edited by Lathen 3 hous ago'

The original question was like 5 words. Now that you've quoted me, I don't see any point in editing my original post also.

A LOL thread...

Get the new 17-250 f3.5L.

the price as TS mentioned it may be the same for the combi. But have you really tested it on your cam? the 28-300 is large and heavy. The zoom requires you to handhold it properly with your left and yes it may have IS but only offers 2 stop.

The other thing is the 28-300 at 300mm widest is f5.6 v the 70-400 at 300 widest is still f4. and 70-200 f4 IS has 4 stop IS.

I didn't own it before but tested it extensively and must say you have to really say I only what 1 lens to carry around and get used to the push pull zoom.

I would prefer getting the 2 lens combo, more versatile in my opinion.
It helps that I really like the 70-200 f4l is.

Frankly speaking, I find myself use the 28-300 a lot more than my the other 2 zooms in the same range. I know a lot of photogs get those focal lengths in 2 pieces i,e 24-70, 70-200 because they wanted the f2.8 for certain events. Nevertheless, your 24-104 and 70-200 f4 is more like a walk-around lens with the same application as the 28-300.

If you always shoot at wide angle, 28-300 is at f3.5. For landscape you don't really need big aperture. If you shoot more at the longer range, 70-200 f4 is only 1 stop bigger than the 28-300 at f5.6 and you need a TC 1.4 to get that extra range. With digital you can easily cover that with higher ISO, IS etc. If you want to use it for portrait, I think a lot more other lens are better and cheaper.

I've been an advocate for many years of the same idea that Chase jarvis is now promoting which is "the best camera is always the 1 with you." Now we have better quality camera phone, of course that is better than what I have back then. When I first got that lens, I can carry only it plus a lightweight film body knowing that there are no better quality zoom. I always carry a big bag because it looks more natural with my size and the longer lens barrel still fit nicely. Only thing to consider would be the push pull mechanism which some people dun like compare to IF of your the other 2 choices.

Having said that, if your main idea is to walk around to take more photos, general purpose, less bulky, less things to bother, walk, tour and enjoy instead of thinking of your photography needs etc then 28-300 make more sense even though the weight can be an issue for some people.

On the other hand, if you want more assurance - having 2 lenses vs 1 lens in the mist of accident, theft etc, then get the latter.

I trust and love my 28-300 so much that I can just go oversea tour with only this zoom and a body with pop up flash. Note this lens is best for FF format. If yours is cropped sensor than I don't think this zoom works as good anymore. :dunno: