24 or 35?

juzride

Feb 18, 2009
Hi, I'm new to film photography, has been a DSLR user for the last 4 yr on a APSC sensor.
Just got my hands on a Canon A-1.

I'm getting a 50mm lens, which is awaiting shipment.
Would like to hear ur opinions..
For casual day-to-day shooting, should I be looking at 24mm or 35mm to complement the 50mm?

what focal length do you usually shoot with on your dslr? that can give you an idea on what focal length to get.

personally, the 24mm is a bit too wide for me for day to day shooting but the gd thing about the 24mm is that the dof is very wide and you can easily "preset" your focusing. i usually complement my 50mm with a 35mm. the former is mainly outdoors and the latter used mainly indoors

a number of folks also like the 28mm length. it's a nice "compromise" between the 24mm and 35mm.

enjoy your a-1! it's a fun camera to shoot with

Choice depends on what type of pics you want to take.

FD 35mm F2.8 is very cheap and excellent. The lens has excellent resolution and sharpness at all apertures across the frame.

This is how good it is. See the resolution chart.

Last edited:
I have a variety of lenses for DSLR, so I do shoot at various focal length, depending on activities, events or situation. So it is difficult to judge.

I'm primarily interested in the 35mm2.8, but I'm unable to find one that's really considered "cheap", if I do, I got outbidded on eBay =\
Any recommendation of places in SG where I might get one for a good price? And how much would I be expecting to pay for this lens?

Then I got an offer for a tokina 24mm, hence the dilemma..

I personally like the 35mm length, neither too wide nor too tight

get 24mm, you can shoot cityscape/landscape and some interior with it. if the 24mm can do close focus, that's even better.

Scan-110709-0028.jpg

"macro"

Scan-110709-0007_c.jpg

landscape

Scan-110709-0036.jpg

street

IMGN0011.jpg

cityscape

during my previous trip, when I had to bring only 1 lens, that's 24mm

I'm now waiting for the lenses from US;
24, 35, 50mm!

Lol! I'm such an indecisive buyer..