24-70mm mk i vs 24-70mm mk ii

naraen

Apr 7, 2010
Hi Guys. Am not really sure if this topic is on thread as I tried searching already. What is the main diff between the 2 lens except for the price diff, the number of blades or elements or weight. Technical aspects aside. Picture quality and handling what are the differences?

Er, Mk2 is sharper? More contrasty too.

I wonder if there is a similar comparison of the f2.8 mkII and f4 IS version since the studio portrait is done at f8 and he also mentioned that "for video, you might want to choose the mkII since it is done at lower resolution". My understanding is the f4 IS is also with video in mind.

Tried both but still prefer the mark 1 but this is purely personal.

Mark 1 is less sharp at wide open. Color wise I find both of them more or less the same.

I prefer mark 1 because I do not like images that are too sharp. I prefer the design of the mark 1 for the way the hood is mounted. It hides the protrusion of the lens when you zoom in and out.

Last edited:
Sold my Mk I and upgraded to MK II. Never looked back.

Mk II is alot sharper than my old Mk I, and at F2.8 it is sharper than some of my prime lenses. Keeping my prime lenses mainly for F1.2-F1.4 for low light and DOF bokeh, but sharpness wise, this 24-70II is sufficient to match any prime lenses.

It is that good. In terms of sharpness, as well as colour and contrast.

There are many websites with reviews on the mkii. Sharper than 24L prime at 24mm, and sharper than 70-200L II at 70mm.

If you are only keeping one lens, this could be the one.

Last edited:
i had a chance to play with the II for a short while.
personally i find it sharper at wide open,nicer colour(more contrast) and smoother bokeh.

Mk1 is not here not there L lens for me. Good but just good. Mk2 is much sharper, has better colour and contrast. Bokeh is better too.

Btw, I also like mk1 design with reverse zooming and non-moving hood. Feel more secure knocking around when shooting. Lol....