24-70 vs 24-105

hellfire241

Dec 3, 2009
Ease side ya'll
i have read many reviews on the comparisons of the 2 lens but wanted first hand recomendations..

what i want to know is if the advantages of the 24-105's IS, extra reach, lighter weight and cheaper price outweigh that of the 24-70 one stop less. thanks. fyi i usually shoot candid shots.. both outdoors and indoors.. tho mostly ourdoors.. and am using a 50d body..

Thanks for droppin by.. would really appreciate comments..

i vote for 24-70... the 2.8 is very useful...

but based on wat u usually shoot i guess 24-105 suits u better.

If you shoot 90% outdoor, get 24-105.

The 24-105 to me is the better lens. Lighter, slightly more discreet and easier to handle, which IMO is critical for candids. You will not need the 2.8 in most scenarios too, especially outdoors. If on full frame, you can easily increase your ISO another stop for the faster shutter speed at little noise penalty for those tricky lighting shots. IS will back you up on those situations where you dont have moving subjects

I wouldnt recommend either of these lenses if you are on a crop body though. Not wide enough

on the contrary, i've been using the 24-105 on my crop and i think its pretty decent. if u want a wide angle for landscapes 18mm or 17mm is still not wide enough. so of course youd still have to get another lens. for candids its great.

i havent used the 24-70 before but i sometimes yearn for f2.8 esp when taking close ups and portraits. Minimum focus distance is 0.45m which is reasonably close but not nearly enough for macros.

Here is result from 24-70 indoor, natural light
4635372608_f6ca0d335a_b.jpg

outdoor (macro try)
4635372610_8928dfe0f9_b.jpg

I should warn you about weight, sometime i feel i should have bought 24-105L.
1DM3 + 24-70L + 580ExII (imagine how heavy setup will be :().

Get the 24-70 if you think you like the f2.8 a lot.
Get the 24/105 if you dun like carrying a heavy setup around.

IMHO, f2.8 > weight.
Just take it as weights training. ;p

Get the 24-70 if you think you like the f2.8 a lot.
Get the 24/105 if you dun like carrying a heavy setup around.

IMHO, f2.8 > weight.
Just take it as weights training. ;p
and you will gain muscles on right arm ;).

hi,
24-105 is good enough for the job, and if night fall, you can pump up ISO since you are using 50D...is a good walk about lens.

The 24-70 is not heavy la... having the 2.8 is enough to justify the weight. Corner sharpness and minimal distortion also makes it a winner over 24-105.

Thanks a lot ppl for all your comments.. will really take into consideration all the price/weight/stops issue.. been using the 17-85 for quite a while and saved up for a nice L lens finaly.. after all like what my good friend said.. you don't expect to buy a expensive pan and expect to be a great chef.. likewise in this situation.. having an ex lens and body dosen't make you a photographer.. =D

What about considering the 24-105 + 50 1.8/1.4 vs 24-70?

Thanks a lot ppl for all your comments.. will really take into consideration all the price/weight/stops issue.. been using the 17-85 for quite a while and saved up for a nice L lens finaly.. after all like what my good friend said.. you don't expect to buy a expensive pan and expect to be a great chef.. likewise in this situation.. having an ex lens and body dosen't make you a photographer.. =D

aiya.. it is your $ lah.,.. so don't be pai say... if one has $ he can buy anytiing... those rich ppl who brought sports cars may not be good in car racing....

u can develop ur skills slowly.. who knows one day u will become a great pg... right? haha

24-70 is a more versatile lens. u will be surprised how much difference a F2.8 vs F4.0 make!

i find the focusing slower than the 24-105 though.

Just go for the lens that you'll be willing to bring out to shoot ;p weight is usually an important factor for me and after all these years, I've never really bought any heavy lens (until the sigma 150-500mm which i got recently but I'll be driving when I carry the lens around). 1 stop difference usually isn't a great deal too (in my opinion).

Both lenses are sharp and deliver great image quality. Unless you shoot pictures with the two lenses side by side like what engrmariano did (part of the differences seemed to be the exposure which is slightly darker for the 24-105 F4L images), you won't really notice the difference between them.

Last edited:
My choice would be 24-70, for the f2.8 which is great. If you need to have long focus, get 70-200. You'll have a zoom range from 24 to 200 which is more then enough for you i guess. cheers !!

24-70mm +1
outdoor or indoor works great
heavy? Ok lah...
get those weight absorb camera strap, prob solved.
Using 24-70mm since i bought it
only change to 10-22mm if wan to take wide angle shot
changed to 55-250mm if i wan to take SUPER close up shots

Else general shooting, its 24-70mm for me