24-70 or 24-105mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus7

Oct 10, 2011
Chinatown
Hi everyone,I duno whether this is a 'noob" question to ask but I have in mind this 2 lens,the 24-70mm f/2.8 & the 24-105mm L lens.My concern is that i mostly do street photography & portrait shots though sometimes,i shoot some landscape too.I have rented both the lens before & i really like the 24-70mm f2.8(though it was quite a feat carrying it around).
Hereby,I would like all brudders of CS to give mi some advice as to which of the 2 lens would you prefer & the reason.(Because i only rent them for a day).Therefore those who own this 2 lens would really know the full potential & i can get a better perspective.I know both lenses are very good but i am still confused which one to get as i am currently without a single lens.
Anyway,I am not getting a new lens but will be looking at the B&S section to see whether i can get any good deal or not.So in the meantime,hope some kind soul can guide & advise mi on the 2 lenses.
BTW...,I don't mind all brudders to share & comment on either lens.After all your comment & advice,I will do a compilation then come to a decision; which will save a lot of time & $$$ for me due to changing gears all the time.Thank You brudders of CS for the enlightenment! Cheers!

Hi everyone,I duno whether this is a 'noob" question to ask but I have in mind this 2 lens,the 24-70mm f/2.8 & the 24-105mm L lens.My concern is that i mostly do street photography & portrait shots though sometimes,i shoot some landscape too.I have rented both the lens before & i really like the 24-70mm f2.8(though it was quite a feat carrying it around).
Hereby,I would like all brudders of CS to give mi some advice as to which of the 2 lens would you prefer & the reason.(Because i only rent them for a day).Therefore those who own this 2 lens would really know the full potential & i can get a better perspective.I know both lenses are very good but i am still confused which one to get as i am currently without a single lens.
Anyway,I am not getting a new lens but will be looking at the B&S section to see whether i can get any good deal or not.So in the meantime,hope some kind soul can guide & advise mi on the 2 lenses.
BTW...,I don't mind all brudders to share & comment on either lens.After all your comment & advice,I will do a compilation then come to a decision; which will save a lot of time & $$$ for me due to changing gears all the time.Thank You brudders of CS for the enlightenment! Cheers!

I like both lens, although I don't own any of them, but I have played with them before. Anyway both lens served different purposes... I generally find the 24-70mm lens sharper than the 24-105mm... and is faster, at f2.8. However the 24-105mm lens had more versatility because of the wider focal range... plus the very very useful IS. If really must choose between the two, I would go for the 24-105mm.

The only issue I find with the 24-105mm was the built quality (it is generally good, don't get me wrong) but there are very bad lens creep in the one that I have used before, which kind of put me off, although a rubber band help in solving that issue, but a lens of that price, I do not generally accept this type of problem.

I like both lens, although I don't own any of them, but I have played with them before. Anyway both lens served different purposes... I generally find the 24-70mm lens sharper than the 24-105mm... and is faster, at f2.8. However the 24-105mm lens had more versatility because of the wider focal range... plus the very very useful IS. If really must choose between the two, I would go for the 24-105mm.

The only issue I find with the 24-105mm was the built quality (it is generally good, don't get me wrong) but there are very bad lens creep in the one that I have used before, which kind of put me off, although a rubber band help in solving that issue, but a lens of that price, I do not generally accept this type of problem.

i will cast it on the 24-70 as sharper is more impt for me over versatility~

Go for 24-70 if u want a gd image and dnt mind with no IS. Im gettin one this weekend. :) pl read more reviews on the net eg Flickr forum

TS, mind to tell what cam u r using now? Crop or FF body? If crop body, both lenses are not so suitable for street/landscape photography, at crop factor, the 24mm will not be wide enough, if FF body, than 24-70 will still be considered a good choice, however u might need to consider the weight of the 24-70 as compared to 24-105.
I am using crop body, owned the 24-105 but frustrated with losing the wide end just to have slightly more reach at tele end, end up sold it and go for 17-55 paired with 70-200. Happy with the combo now.

TS, mind to tell what cam u r using now? Crop or FF body? If crop body, both lenses are not so suitable for street/landscape photography, at crop factor, the 24mm will not be wide enough, if FF body, than 24-70 will still be considered a good choice, however u might need to consider the weight of the 24-70 as compared to 24-105.
I am using crop body, owned the 24-105 but frustrated with losing the wide end just to have slightly more reach at tele end, end up sold it and go for 17-55 paired with 70-200. Happy with the combo now.

I am on the 7D now, and am using the 24-105. I do agree that 24 is not wide enough, but we can always pair 16-35L with 24-105L, reason being I that if I get the 17-55 which is a EF-S I will need to sell that lens should I go to Full Frame in future. I might not go but its good to be prepared in advance :bsmilie: thats why I will try to avoid EF-S lens and thats why I sold my 7D kit lens which is the 15-85.

I use a 70-200mm f4L for my street photography most of the time... coupled with a Tokina 12-24mm f4 if I wanted to take wider picture. My point is, 24mm even on a crop sensor camera is good enough for most usage.

I own a 24-70 now. Used to have the 24-105. I still use the 24-105 for work because of the convenience. The focal length n IS makes it a fool proof lens to use. But i still prefer the faster 2.8 lens for shooting candid stuff. How it renders the images is very pleasing to me. The weight is the biggest problem i have with it. It makes carrying the camera around the whole day very tiring. Esp since u will pack other stuff in as well.

I am on the 7D now, and am using the 24-105. I do agree that 24 is not wide enough, but we can always pair 16-35L with 24-105L, reason being I that if I get the 17-55 which is a EF-S I will need to sell that lens should I go to Full Frame in future. I might not go but its good to be prepared in advance :bsmilie: thats why I will try to avoid EF-S lens and thats why I sold my 7D kit lens which is the 15-85.
That is if one has the money or willing to spend. And dont mind all the other many factors

Having said that, 16mm is not very wide on the crop sensor camera if one really need to go wide.
In a nutshell, Crop sensor camera are still best pair with EF-S lenses. Period.

Hi Submarine71,I am using the 60D body...Weight wise i think i still can live with the 24-70mm.But what u have mentioned is quite true;losing the wide end but just having a longer reach.Hm.........,might consider the 17-55mm & 70-200 combo.BTW,is the 70-200mm a L lens or what...?Thank You!

That is if one has the money or willing to spend. And dont mind all the other many factors

Having said that, 16mm is not very wide on the crop sensor camera if one really need to go wide.
In a nutshell, Crop sensor camera are still best pair with EF-S lenses. Period.

Yes, agreed but if that's the case the only EFS that one should consider is 10-22. :sticktong

Marcus7 said:
Hi Submarine71,I am using the 60D body...Weight wise i think i still can live with the 24-70mm.But what u have mentioned is quite true;losing the wide end but just having a longer reach.Hm.........,might consider the 17-55mm & 70-200 combo.BTW,is the 70-200mm a L lens or what...?Thank You!

70-200 got 4 types, namely:
1. 70-200 F4L non IS
2. 70-200 F4L IS
3. 70-200 F2.8L non IS
4. 70-300 F2.8L IS

I used to own the F4 non IS but upgraded to F2.8 non IS due to bigger aperture, that makes a lot of diff for night shoot or fast shutter speed.

For the 70-200mm lens, u can also looked into getting either a Sigma or a Tamron. They have very good 70-200mm lens and the Sigma's one had OS too, which is very useful, plus they are f2.8, so speed is there too... and best thing is... the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 OS lens cost less than 2K as oppose to Canon's own version which is easily 3k. And yes, there might be some image trade off, but generally, their quality is still very very good.

Arbo buy 28-300L + 10-22 EFS + 35L or 24L for prime. Then you should be very covered :p

The reasons why 24-70mm f2.8 is one of the faves of so many photographers are because its build, speed, top notch IQ, etc (less the expensive price, of cos). The focal length of 24-105mm may be more versatile but that can easily be overcome by just taking a few steps forward or backward with your feet if you are using 24-70mm. Can 24-105mm deliver IQ as good as 24-70mm? I doubt so.

ok guys,thanks for the input.I think i shall put off L lens for the time being & concentrate on my framing & composition more.Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.