24-105 F4 L

Status
Not open for further replies.
i find the 24-105 results average strait out of the cam, it really needs sharpening. comparatively, i had to increase cam builtin sharpening to +3/4 when this lens is on, but set to 0 when using the 70-200. i thot of bringing it to CSC for recaliberation but the fact that indoor pics are fairly sharp whereas outdoor ones are not, i can't justify.

tt's a odd case.. for the 24-105mm, i adjust the sharpness to higher depending on what i want to acheive in my photos. for me the dslr settings play a part in my photos beside the lens itself..

guys just curious, whats your in-camera sharpness setting when you all shoot with the 24-105? what im trying to say is that if im using this lens i have to increase my 5D's built-in sharpening a few more notches up (+4 to +6), compared to when using the 70-200 i only need abt +2 at most. is this "normal" for the 24-105 or do i have a soft copy which needs recaliberation?

guys just curious, whats your in-camera sharpness setting when you all shoot with the 24-105? what im trying to say is that if im using this lens i have to increase my 5D's built-in sharpening a few more notches up (+4 to +6), compared to when using the 70-200 i only need abt +2 at most. is this "normal" for the 24-105 or do i have a soft copy which needs recaliberation?

Regardless of what lens I used, my sharpening is always to the max. In post processing I sharpen it again too for all me pics. And I don't see anything wrong with that.

Regardless of what lens I used, my sharpening is always to the max. In post processing I sharpen it again too for all me pics. And I don't see anything wrong with that.

thanks Lightning! yup i agree with you, the results that i get from higher sharpening on the 24-105 is comparable to the 70-200 with less sharpening. i guess what counts is the end result then. i only turn it down a few notches when over-sharpening occurs with 'scratchy' artefacts. think i better get used to different lenses requiring different amounts of sharpening. the 24-105's focal range & IS is simply too valuable to let go...

thanks Lightning! yup i agree with you, the results that i get from higher sharpening on the 24-105 is comparable to the 70-200 with less sharpening. i guess what counts is the end result then. i only turn it down a few notches when over-sharpening occurs with 'scratchy' artefacts. think i better get used to different lenses requiring different amounts of sharpening. the 24-105's focal range & IS is simply too valuable to let go...

Yeah, we do need to watch out for over sharpening. I also agree that 24-105 focal range is very useful, quality is not too bad actually. I must say, correct exposure is very important to get sharp pics as well. I know if my exposure is spot on, with my 1D, the pics will be sharp too(99% of the time).

Do note that if a lens is inherently soft, no amount of calibration will make it sharper. Calibration is only intended for lenses that are back/front focusing.

Get this into your skulls, people. More and more photographers here are getting misleaded into thinking calibration is the magic bullet for sharper photos.

Do note that if a lens is inherently soft, no amount of calibration will make it sharper. Calibration is only intended for lenses that are back/front focusing.

Get this into your skulls, people. More and more photographers here are getting misleaded into thinking calibration is the magic bullet for sharper photos.

thanks for pointing that out. i do find that the 24-105 is soft strait out from the cam (w/o aided sharpening). so in this case, is it just the lens' "character" and no point sending it back to Canon for a check? but with boosted sharpening (in-camera or PP) its sharpness is comparable to the 70-200's which is well-known for being razor sharp strait-out fr cam. so would you consider that its normal to boost sharpness in-cam for certain lenses and just live with it?

thanks for pointing that out. i do find that the 24-105 is soft strait out from the cam (w/o aided sharpening). so in this case, is it just the lens' "character" and no point sending it back to Canon for a check? but with boosted sharpening (in-camera or PP) its sharpness is comparable to the 70-200's which is well-known for being razor sharp strait-out fr cam. so would you consider that its normal to boost sharpness in-cam for certain lenses and just live with it?

I dislike Canon's sharpening from the camera, and prefer to go for high pass sharpening in Photoshop.

ok thanks. i dont recall seeing "high-pass sharpening" in Photoshop.
come to think of it, the amount we pay for L lenses, any sharpness boost shld be minimal or not at all!

Those interested in brand new 24-105 F4/L lenses can refer to this thread -

invalid thread.
I am also interested in the above and am confused by all these saga from page 1 to page 18???:eek:

Those interested in brand new 24-105 F4/L lenses can refer to this thread -

:( my thread has been deleted by the moderator as it is supposed to go into the 'mass order' thread which i have to pay $30 for each post. anyway, those interested can pm me for details.

cheers,

Hi all, i have the above lens but recently there is some "noise" from the lens. Its seems to be coming from the IS. Is this normal ?

Its a UU lens, which means made in 2006. So am wondering if its because my dry box is too dry? 30% RH. Its a "creeping" sound.

Its a UU lens, which means made in 2006. So am wondering if its because my dry box is too dry? 30% RH. Its a "creeping" sound.

30% RH is too dry. Digicabi manual recommends 45-55% for photographic equipments.

oh oh.. my Toshiba drycabi always maintain it at 35. but i lost the manual. how do i adjust the setting or it can't be done at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.