20D or 5D

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtan

Jan 26, 2005
hi i own a 20 D very happy but a bit itchy and thinking of upgrading to 5D with 12 megapixel. can anyone advise me pros and cons eg camera size and weight , image quality etc etc . i am a advanced amateur and not keen on editing photos. just shpoot and view on42 inch plasma tv. does the increase in pixels make a great diff in image sharpness? thankjs

Not worth ur money in ur case. Higher megapixel count doesn't exactly translate into better or sharper pictures which means u have to do less processing.

Holding a 5D is no substitute for lousy techniques. Skill walks hand-in-hand with lenses and body.

Keep ur 20D and stay happy.

The 3MP pics from D30 is already more than good enough for viewing on plasma TV. you don't need 8MP, let alone 12MP pics. Having more pixels doesn't increase image sharpness. it just has more details for larger size enlargements.

gtan said:
hi i own a 20 D very happy but a bit itchy and thinking of upgrading to 5D with 12 megapixel. can anyone advise me pros and cons eg camera size and weight , image quality etc etc . i am a advanced amateur and not keen on editing photos. just shpoot and view on42 inch plasma tv. does the increase in pixels make a great diff in image sharpness? thankjs

Well,.... if you enjoy looking at your photos,...on a tv screen,...I don't see why you would need even and 8mp camera.. ;)

You might be able to find a decent D30 for a few hundred bucks..

JP

Hate to say or ask but....

gtan, how long have u owned ur 20D?

what the heck if you even have the idea of just shooting with a 5D to show on tv just get one heh heh..
You must be quite well off ,so spend your money, be happy love new toys. :bsmilie:

Actually if he's selling his 20D I dun mind picking it up....

Ok! 1 word $1K. No kit lens. How's dat? :)

gtan said:

What do you shoot? Do you need the specs or want the specs?
If you can answer these, you already know the answer.

gtan said:

1DsmkII better, got 16megapixels!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jsbn said:
Hate to say or ask but....

gtan, how long have u owned ur 20D?

a year and a bit. very very happy with it. a great camera complemented by lenses of superlative optical quality. only psychologicaly 12 mega seems superior to 8....

if u're doing it as a hobby, get the 5D loh since it gives u psychological satisfaction. if u're shooting for money, calculate the return it can give for u.

gtan, it's quite easy to calculate your plasma TV's resolution. Look in the manual for the specs. You should find the resolution as x by y pixels. Multiply the two numbers together. This is the maximum resolution your TV can display. Extra pixels would just be wasted.

For example, if it says 1920x1200 pixels, then your plasma resolution is 2304000, which is 2.3 megapixels. i doubt the plasmaTV goes beyond 3 mpix.

gtan said:
Some of you here (especially the young ones) may not understand gtan's profile (correct me if i am wrong). Basically gtan should be in the midforties, in the high income group, held executive position and photography is just one of his serious hobby (some prefer keeping birds, fish, dogs, golf, cars, women, etc).
Basically he could easily afford the $6k (maybe a little pain :devil: ) on the new toy but still couldn't convince himself to get it coz he still can't believe that he can shoot so well with his old toy, and still thinking that with a more "powerful or newer" equipment he should be able to improve his performance. This is common in golfer, always thinking of getting a better golf set.
So no matter what or how you advise him, he will still be "confused :sweatsm: " He will make his decision when either 1) someone offer him a special price for a 5D , 2)his peer group friends got the new 5D, 3) his 20D gives him a little technical problem or someone tell him that he just need to top up another 3K to upgrade to 5D, 4)in a photoshoot he see some of the 5D owners are so much younger than him, 5) some SYTs:lovegrin: ask him whether his 20D is the most powerful cam around, 6)when he sees some traveller's online scenery photos are so wide that he thinks his 20D will not able to achieve, 7)his friendz at CP give him a hint that top executive like him should be using the 5D, etc...
The moral of the story? Mr gtan knows his answer to his question.
Let me contribute my reason ..... life's short!
If you hesistate, it means dont buy.:think:

ST1100 said:
gtan, it's quite easy to calculate your plasma TV's resolution. Look in the manual for the specs. You should find the resolution as x by y pixels. Multiply the two numbers together. This is the maximum resolution your TV can display. Extra pixels would just be wasted.

For example, if it says 1920x1200 pixels, then your plasma resolution is 2304000, which is 2.3 megapixels. i doubt the plasmaTV goes beyond 3 mpix.
Well true, that's the max resolution for plasma TV. Most of our LCD monitor is only 1024x768.

Btw, if anyone who can afford either a 12MP or 16MP camera, why shd we stop them (not directing at anyone ;p ). Seen a few of my friends in medical field using 16MP cameras for family outings. Again the saying goes .... whoever behind the .... blah blah... ;)

Xing said:
Seen a few of my friends in medical field using 16MP cameras for family outings.

wah seh.. 16MP 1Ds Mk II..
so rich.. i wanna be a doctor too

Think no one mentioned this... Using a camera with a Full-frame sensor requires the use of high quality lenses to yield maximum benefit. In other worlds we're looking as L lenses like the 24-105mm as a basic walkaround lens. This adds to the cost exponentially since any consumer lens that you own won't be ideal, as you may find the image quality, especially corner sharpness lacking.

Whereas cameras with APS sized sensors tend to be a lot more forgiving when it comes to lens, and you can get pretty good results with just an average consumer lens on the right settings.

Haha so its not as simple as buy buy buy!

gtan said:

There is no difference between the 20D and 5D in terms of viewing the images on your 42" Plasma TV.

Secondly, the weight of the 5D is only slightly heavier than the 20D, so not an issue. Both also come with an optional battery grip.

The major difference between the 2 models is the perspective. 5D is a FF camera while 20D is with 1.6x crop. This is the major driving force of 5D buyers. Look through the viewfinder / LCD, and you be induced to buy it. FULL FRAME!!!

You definitely need solid and good lenses to complement with the 5D, otherwise you might complain in the future that the picture quality is not to your liking. I am pretty sure that you do own some L lenses, don't you? ;p

Also, the dynamic range of 5D is better than 20D, so you may not need to adjust so much in PS. Time could be saved.

Since someone has mentioned about your profile, I am sure that buying a 5D is not an issue at all. Quoted from Nike - Just Do It! Life is short, no need to think so hard (in your context, not for others).

brother USM likes to spend $ ;p :bsmilie:

Hmm... Seems that he owns a 10-22, 28-70 (I'm not very sure what else he owns) and a couple of Leicas.

Quite interesting range of lens he has. But den again, the 10-22 gives him a 16-35mm focal length which would be excellent for covering landscapes (my widest was just 27mm last time. sigh...) unless he wants to go fisheyes and even wider things like 6mm or stuff like dat. :think:

There ain't any difference between the 20D and 5D in terms of image quality since u're just viewing them on ur TV. In fact, u can pump in 1028x768 images in and it'll appear just as good.

If there's any difference, its psychological. If u are contented with juz viewing it on ur TV, u can go back to shooting leica, slide film with a lightbox which will blow u off with equal clarity. :)

My final word, juz keep it. Ur 20D is good enuff. :)

let me get everyone perspective in the right channels again, forget 5D, 1DsmkII will benefit your status better.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.