2013 Demolition of Queenstown Cinema, Singapore

Did they repaint the building? I recall it used to be red, right? Or did my memory fail me?

First of all..... most of the people living along that whole stretch from Commonwealth end to Queenstown prison side have moved out of the area and re-located around Dawson area nearby , it will likely continue to be a ghost town even if left alone .

LIFE made that area interesting ... not the buildings

Last edited:
It is sad to see old buildings go. But developments have to be move on.

But new developments should also consider integrate with what was there. The pub near Somerset MRT, Cathay Theater are some good examples where development could still go on while retaining memories of the old places.

I kind of missed the place and yet I realised it has to go and now its gone, including the rest of the buildings... Studied in the "no-more Mei Chin Secondary School" at Mei Ling Street. Classmates and I used to go there after school by walking and also to leisure swimming at the Queenstown Swimming Complex... dont know the latter still there now. It brought back fond memories indeed. There were also the Queenstown Library, Tai Chong Bookshop and makan - the Quo Tia, Fried Kway Tiao, Ice Kachang etc etc. which we patronised frequently. With the rest, the Bowling Alley and cinema are iconic feature of that place. I believed and hope that the new developments will bring back life in that area. But I shall remembered it everytime I passed by via MRT...if those who have photos of the past Queenstown area, appreciate it if you can share with us here. Thank you in advance.

I used to live nearby and looked forward to visiting the area, from watching movies at the Queenstown /Jin Du cinemas to watching bowlers at the alley to makaning the wonton mee to creating havoc in the library to getting stitches at the clinic... ok, maybe not that last one. And I bought most of my toys at Tai Chung; or rather, my parents bought them for me :)
When I returned many years ago and passed by the building, the red brick façade has been painted in the garish colours we see today. Big Bookshop and Winning Winter Wear are history. Tai Chung was long gone too. More than the buildings and shops though, it was going there as a family outing that made it so special.

I don't have any pictures of those years. Maybe the family archive might have some. The visual records I have reside only in my head.

I did snap the new building a couple years back:

78-16.jpg

It's a ghost town

78-14.jpg

Nice work. Esp the doll having her hand on her waist. Btw, I was waiting for the new lens before going for it but too late. Fated. :(

Is this Queenstown also?

the provision shop opp ntuc.. (b4 it was demolished beginning of last yr(?))
the owner had a very quiet dog..

have to agree that once the life went out with the people, there really isnt any pt in keeping the building..
in the decrepit existence of its last days, somebody would have to love it very much to spend money to restore it instead of tearing it down to build something with better returns..

they were cleaning up the inside of the cinema only last nov, only to tear it down now..?

my stash:

have to agree that once the life went out with the people, there really isnt any pt in keeping the building..
in the decrepit existence of its last days, somebody would have to love it very much to spend money to restore it instead of tearing it down to build something with better returns..

they were cleaning up the inside of the cinema only last nov, only to tear it down now..?

my stash:

This 2 shoots are really nice.

my stash:

Totally fall head over heels for #1

I kind of missed the place and yet I realised it has to go and now its gone, including the rest of the buildings... Studied in the "no-more Mei Chin Secondary School" at Mei Ling Street. Classmates and I used to go there after school by walking and also to leisure swimming at the Queenstown Swimming Complex... dont know the latter still there now. It brought back fond memories indeed. There were also the Queenstown Library, Tai Chong Bookshop and makan - the Quo Tia, Fried Kway Tiao, Ice Kachang etc etc. which we patronised frequently. With the rest, the Bowling Alley and cinema are iconic feature of that place. I believed and hope that the new developments will bring back life in that area. But I shall remembered it everytime I passed by via MRT...if those who have photos of the past Queenstown area, appreciate it if you can share with us here. Thank you in advance.

now want to eat char kway teow need to go telok blangah
want to eat guo tie need to go maxwell
:cry: