2010 Singapore Airshow

Status
Not open for further replies.
would you guys be surprised if Ironman showed up?

1iron-man.jpg

wow. B52!! looking forward to see it soon!

http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20100201-195757.html

estimated 20,000 on the weekend and only 40 queues and 20 x-ray machines.

didnt mention the number of buses and frequency of the free shuttle service as opposed to the $5 shuttle bus.

oh boy....

if it takes an average 30 seconds to process a person per x ray machine, (unlikely if people take out laptop and various gear before going through x ray machine...)

so at 20 persons per 30 seconds that means, 7hrs (420mins) per day allows only 16800 visitors a day before last entry at 4.30pm so how to squeeze 60,000 within 2 days?

please correct if wrong.

Hi all,

Is a UWA like 10-20mm gd enough for static display?

Hi all,

Is a UWA like 10-20mm gd enough for static display?
its more then enough. Just remember about wide angle distortion effect.

from the airshow practice threads, doesnt seem anything exciting is going to happen other then plane flybys like models on the catwalk.

does anyone have a airshow air display itinerary as to who will perform what during the days?

Last edited:
Anyone went to today airshow?
Any update?

Looks like this year airshow is a bit boring.

from the galleries that sprouted up, is it everyday the same performance?

Hi, I'm going to the Airshow on Sunday with my Uncle who did his NS in the SAF in the 1980s as an air techie.

He asked me to buy tickets for the show. But we've only going there at about 2pm after family lunch. I can imagine the ques then will be tremendous

My other friend advised me to just go to the Singapore beach park as the views there are just as good if not better than the Exhibition hall.

He also says there's not much point to go to the show as the security is very tight and you aren't allowed very close to the static displays

Is that true? I mean, if I pay for the tickets do I get my moneys worth?

Please advice thanks.

would you guys be surprised if Ironman showed up?

1iron-man.jpg
I didn't see him, but I saw his friends. :D
Hi, I'm going to the Airshow on Sunday with my Uncle who did his NS in the SAF in the 1980s as an air techie.

He asked me to buy tickets for the show. But we've only going there at about 2pm after family lunch. I can imagine the ques then will be tremendous

My other friend advised me to just go to the Singapore beach park as the views there are just as good if not better than the Exhibition hall.

He also says there's not much point to go to the show as the security is very tight and you aren't allowed very close to the static displays

Please advice thanks.
Going after 2pm means you will not encounter ANY queue, because most people would have already tried to get in before 1130am. I was late today, reached Changi Airport MRT Station only at 11:50 hours, and boarded the free shuttle bus at 11:56 hours. By 12:18 hours, I disembarked from the bus outside the complex. Completely smooth, and a queue was almost non-existent! It was the same thing on my way out at about 5pm when most have already left. I walked out at 17:09 hours, boarded the bus at 17:15 hours and reached Changi Airport at 17:37 hours.

In terms of transport and crowd management, I have nothing better to wish for!

The good thing about being on site is that you can hear the commentary, and often times can better anticipate what is going to come. Even then, I still missed a few shooting opportunities during the RSAF performance, and I am quite sure it will be worse without the commentary.

Security is tight? Hardly. I find security much less prominent this year throughout the complex, and the Gurkhas or SOC never saw a need to disembark from their vehicles which remained on standby throughout. I was able to get up close and personal with most of the exhibits I care about, ie, the RSAF birds, the USAF birds, and the larger commercial planes, not much different from other airshow experiences or the RSAF open houses. I frequently see staff letting people get up close if they asked and are "supervised", which is to be expected since some of these frames are for sale. Unless you are expecting to hug each and every landing gear, I doubt you will be disappointed.

Lol, yeah. :)
I saw the prices for myself today at the another outdoor eatery. Simply outrageous although I was expecting that kind of price. I mean, its S$10 for a plate of normal chicken rice! Do they seriously think they are half as good as Chatterbox or My Humble House? :D And I don't even get to eat in an aircon environment.

Interestingly the indoor outlet run by Suntec had better pricing for better quality food and environment. And on hindsight, the menu you posted above is actually pretty good in comparison! I didn't come across it thou....:(

I boycotted the food and went home for late lunch!

Last edited:

Please advice thanks.
show closes at 5, effectively will have less then 3 hrs in the area.

most of the booths are vacant. unless you just want to see the static displays.

As for the air display, the site is still better then changi beach.

show closes at 5, effectively will have less then 3 hrs in the area.

most of the booths are vacant. unless you just want to see the static displays.

As for the air display, the site is still better then changi beach.
Last bus leaves at 7pm thou, so there is still time to look around. ;)

The exhibition hall, as with previous years', is basically there as rest points and camping grounds for the crowds after the air displays lah. :D Very few give out collectables now, but check out the following:
- ST Engineering: as the biggest sponsor, you can expect them to give out lots of freebies like pins, fans and posters! Just hang around the front foyer!
- EADS/Airbus: no collectables, but there is a cool A350 exhibit to check out.
- The RSAF booth was a big surprise. I happened to walk by as late as 1650 hours, and the pilots of the air display were having an autograph session! They actually distribute nice posters which the pilots then gladly sign on. Excellent PR!
- The Changi Airport Group booth has a replica of its butterfly garden...complete with real butterflies!
- I am not sure if they are still going to have this on Sunday, but I saw the Alpha-S booth in the retail section and by lord, they were selling the SQ Heritage Series 2 to 5 at just $70 each, and the profits goes to charity. Wow! I bought all four, because this is a hefty discount compared to the original price of $129 (and even after the current 30% discount promotion on Krisshop, is still lower by $20!).

Anyway, the Boeing booth is a complete disappointment. Yawn.

Hope this helps for those going today!

Went on Friday, so disappointed, both the F-111 and the T-50 were not flying... :angry: Anyway, now badly sunburnt. :bsmilie:
http://hydrop.multiply.com/photos/album/210/Singapore_Airshow_2010
If you read the news, you will know why. ;)

T-50:
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS...ia_ow=t0:s0:a49:g43:r2:c0.250000:b30266220:z0

F-111:
http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_487391.html

NAHA, Japan, Feb. 6 (AP) - (Kyodo)—A B-52 bomber made an unscheduled landing Saturday at the U.S. Kadena Air Base in Okinawa Prefecture because of fuel shortage, base officials said.

The bomber had left Guam and was heading to Singapore to perform at an air show, but it decided to land at the base in the evening because it was unable to receive fuel
through aerial refueling as scheduled, the officials said.

They said the bomber will head to Singapore as soon as possible after refueling. There are no explosives loaded on the bomber, they said.

A KC-135 air tanker from Kadena base was supposed to refuel the bomber in the air, but the tanker could not be used because of maintenance problems, according to the officials.

this year airshow seems to have toned down a lot ... lesser planes, shorter displays. There is no military static display from France and Russia.

however, transportation has improved a lot.

but the food is crazy expensive ! chicken rice is $8 !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.