200mm/f2.8L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Chen

Sep 14, 2004
East
www.flickr.com
Anyone using the 200mm/f2.8L tele-photo lens, would appreciate if you can share your experience as well as opinion.

the 70-200 2.8 L

can be had for 400 more and at 95% of the IQ with the versatility of the zoom.

Comparing to 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

200mm f/2.8L
- smaller and much lighter (less "intruding" to the subject for street photography)
- cost less than half of the other
- it could be sharper than the zoom
- but no IS. The question is how frequent you shoot at f/2.8. IS could benefit in getting a sharp result when shooting without tripod at 200mm under low light/ shutter speed.

70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
- focal range advantage
- IS

So, depending on the shooting style.

My 2-cent worth

trlnlty said:
the 70-200 2.8 L

can be had for 400 more and at 95% of the IQ with the versatility of the zoom.

Hi,

70-200mm/f2.8 (non IS) costs about $2.4k, while 200mm/f2.8 is about $1.3k both quoted by CP..
BTW thks for your kind opinion. :)

alus said:
Comparing to 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

200mm f/2.8L
- smaller and much lighter (less "intruding" to the subject for street photography)
- cost less than half of the other
- it could be sharper than the zoom
- but no IS. The question is how frequent you shoot at f/2.8. IS could benefit in getting a sharp result when shooting without tripod at 200mm under low light/ shutter speed.

70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
- focal range advantage
- IS

So, depending on the shooting style.

My 2-cent worth

Hi,

Thanks. Your sharing of course worth more than 2-cent... :bsmilie:
Your analysis has provided me a better idea to make the right decision, in the very near future. thank you. :D

Actually, if you are getting the 200f2.8L, I would instead recommend you the 135f2L.
Much better sharpness and bokeh.With the resolution, when you need 200mm, just crop.You wont loose much details.
And its about the same price.

What are you going to use it for??? If you use it for shooting at night or dim light, forget it. Get the IS. At 200mm, i dun think anyone can handhold steady to get a clean shot at night/Dim light.

I've used a 70-200 F2.8 L though. It's very sharp when your shutter speed is high.

AhSeng said:
What are you going to use it for??? If you use it for shooting at night or dim light, forget it. Get the IS. At 200mm, i dun think anyone can handhold steady to get a clean shot at night/Dim light.

I've used a 70-200 F2.8 L though. It's very sharp when your shutter speed is high.

the 70-200 f/2.8 is one of the sharpest zooms you can get out there.

the only reason i can see you getting the 200mm 2.8 is due to size reasons, other than that, picture quality wise, i think they are pretty similiar ....

which is probably why the 200 2.8 does not sell very well.

Is this lens suitable for photographing Butterflies & dragonflies when it requires you take photos at distance min 5ft.

lightning said:
I am wondering how you get to take pics during concert? Are photography allowed?

It was allowed for that show ;p They opened my bag, saw my camera and waved me in.

trlnlty said:
the 70-200 f/2.8 is one of the sharpest zooms you can get out there.

the only reason i can see you getting the 200mm 2.8 is due to size reasons, other than that, picture quality wise, i think they are pretty similiar ....

which is probably why the 200 2.8 does not sell very well.

That's true. The 70-200/2.8Ls are as good as, if not better than, the 200/2.8L optically. I got the 200/2.8L mainly cos of the size/weight advantage and the low(er) price.

sazhar said:
Is this lens suitable for photographing Butterflies & dragonflies when it requires you take photos at distance min 5ft.

at 5 feet, the dragonflies or butterflies won't be too big in the frame. The dedicated macro lenses would be more useful in my opinion.

the 200f/2.8 is lighter and very handholdable for long times.. comparatively I need to pump up my muscles to be able to hold 70-200 f/2.8L for a long shoot out..

Status
Not open for further replies.