1st portraits

Status
Not open for further replies.

furcheng

Jun 12, 2008
Simei
www.flickr.com
hi all, my 1st attempt at portrait shots and my friend 1st time modelling. all C&C are welcome

3723394014_e9e00939e4.jpg

3723396074_824a735dd2.jpg

3723392772_5216401280.jpg

3723397914_bd8e8e882c.jpg

most can be found here http://www.flickr.com/photos/furcheng/

#1 - you didn't use flash? Facial color is plain, no contrast. When there is eye contact, use flash will achieve a catchlight on her eye
Seems like it is quite windy during the shoot. Suggestion to make use windy weather to create effects on her hair.
Take note of background lampost sticking out from her shoulder and branches from trees.

#2 - good attempt! Can explore further on the background water feature. :)

no. 1 got cute expression.. nice snapshot.

would be better if the lamp post is not there, or not so near the subject (then you can crop it away).

I guess #2 is your best.

#3 and #4 just doesn't fit

Thanks for all your comment, yes the lamp post is really distracting. will take note next time

play play: how can i create more contrast and make the facial colour not so plain?

Appreciate any C&C, thanks!

I will start from the #3 photo – the exposure of this subject of photo that I view on my monitor, seems to be a bit low. The blue sky is brighter than the subject you want to focus on. You may use flash to improve it so that the subject you are focusing on is more outstanding than the background.

#4 – Nice one bro! You really zoom in and frame up your subject using a plain background. The whole photo look simple. I like it! Nice Frame Up Portraits Shots!:lovegrin:

#1 – This photo let me feel that it’s a bit cram, may be due to the both side of the of the wall at the bottom part of the photo. Same to the rest, the “lamp pole” but I can see you make used of the Wind to create life of this photo!

The last one which I like the most #2 – Nice simple backgrounds, Nice Exposure on the subject, Good skill apply like the “Rule of Thirds” and the “Point of View”! I really like the angle of your “Point of View” you apply on this photo. That’s make your photo look different and more outstanding compared to others!
Great Job!!!:cheergal:

Overall, it’s just a learning stage but you have showed others the Master Piece of your level.

What I can say is, Well Done my friend!:thumbsup:

i like #2.. nice angle and background.. the other just seems like raw..

#4.. with some light control would be nice.. =)

That's very good for a first timer....

very sharp pic.:thumbsup:

generally all your photos are sharp n focus....so well done on that...

in #1....you might just crop out the lamp post ... you actually got a very good photo....the model expression is good....the wind effect on the hair...the sun highlight on the hair as well...
the shadow cast on her neck is not too strong (imagine this was taken last morning when the sun already goes up high)....well done actually...

using a fill-in flash will definitely give some shadow on the model face...this in fact..make the facial colour not plain

#2...basically you were showing the DOF of the background waterfall on the right...
there are too much empty space on the left...
so you can consider crop out the left empty space out...you will get a good composition.

#3...the photo is distracting...do you know why? simple...it just doesn't make sense when your model holding a handbag....using hp...on a beach? that's strange right? reader cannot connect to the message that you are bringing out...unless this is an advertisement of hp with the intention to do so.

#4...well done...portrait style...focus on the eye....with the light source...
but be careful coz some people are particular on the shoulder/hand being too "wide"...i think u know what i'm trying to say here.

thanks everyone for your tips and comment, really learn a lot from here and hope will improve for my next shoot

nice #2 shot... nice setup :thumbsup:....
Thanks for sharing

cheers
Phil

your shots are ok, but the composition can be improved

generally quite good, keep it up

the model looks rather stiff though, first-timer?

With regards to #3, I took it while she was talking on the photo. was intended to be a candid shot but ended up looking like a HP commerical, that's why I chose it ha ha

yeah this is her first time, she's a friend of mine and just get together for some fun shots

1 of the primary thing you can work on is to reinforce your compo...

but having say that, for a 1st time portraiture shooter, this is good stuff :thumbsup:

i like #2 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.